Author Topic: C (Programming)  (Read 1900 times)

Just because the hardware runs faster doesn't mean we should forsake efficiency.

C++ is still the fastest thing around, and in the games industry, is still very heavily used.  C# has a place, but until it gets faster, it won't be dominant.  And I already mentioned that they don't use assembly.  My point is that knowing it makes you a better programmer because it teaches you how the hardware does things, which can allow for you to write better code.  Regardless of what is used, it's still good to understand the basics. 
C# is slower because it's an incredibly high-level programming language, which is a good thing every way you reasonably look at it.

C# is slower because it's an incredibly high-level programming language, which is a good thing every way you reasonably look at it.
Honestly, if they make C++ look and feel more like C#, which should be doable, I think a lot of the complaints about C++ being a pain in the ass would go away.  Honestly, I do prefer C# because it is incredibly easy to use, and has a number of really nice tools.  If it allowed the programmer to manage the memory, it would probably have everything it needed.  It's a shame, really.

Honestly, if they make C++ look and feel more like C#, which should be doable, I think a lot of the complaints about C++ being a pain in the ass would go away.  Honestly, I do prefer C# because it is incredibly easy to use, and has a number of really nice tools.  If it allowed the programmer to manage the memory, it would probably have everything it needed.  It's a shame, really.
I agree completely with this.
C++ is ugly, and C# is pretty much Java

They changed keywords, added a pass by reference/value option, and added getters and setters as far as I know, but yes, it is basically a Microsoft owned Java.

Also, Visual C++ is a waste of time.  It defeats the purpose of C++.

I honestly recommend learning a scripting language first. I perfer Ruby, but Python is an easy learn and teaches you how to think like a programmer without confusing syntaxical rules and errors.
So this would be a good start for someone who knows stuff about programming?

Then a big point of C# would go away, lol. Also, there is actually a way to manipulate memory directly in C#, but it requires the /unsafe flag.

Then a big point of C# would go away, lol. Also, there is actually a way to manipulate memory directly in C#, but it requires the /unsafe flag.
Yeah, C++ will just do it for you.
Also, functional languages would be good to pick up when learning.  Otherwise, Java is a good start.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:26:03 PM by DrMobius »

Otherwise, Java is a good start.
Scala is pretty nice too. It's basically Java with nicer syntax, and few oddities. For example "A" == "A" does what you would expect it to do (that is, compare the strings), unlike Java which would compare the object references.

I can program and script in both Scratch and Alice