Author Topic: What does it take to get a game on steam?  (Read 2984 times)

I see games like "Revelations 2012" (dont buy it its 100% stuff) get on steam, is it really that easy to get on steam?
Could we possibly get blockland on steam?

It would require valve getting a portion of the games profits to be on steam I beleive. Its a small portion, but I don't think eric would want it

Make $9 a copy, took several years to sell 30k copies.
$147 a day

Give to steam for $6 a copy profit, I bet it'll sell like 1000 in a day
$6000 a day

The only problem with Blockland is that no one knows how to find it, nor are they looking for it, because they don't know it exists. I can ask anyone on any game about it and they'll say no. In fact, in all years of my online gaming, I've only seen one other person who has played it.

The only problem with Blockland is that no one knows how to find it, nor are they looking for it, because they don't know it exists. I can ask anyone on any game about it and they'll say no. In fact, in all years of my online gaming, I've only seen one other person who has played it.
I remember one time I was on garrysmod playing in my own server. Somebody joined and asked if I played and they said they remembered my name from Blockland. Was kinda cool.

I remember one time I was on garrysmod playing in my own server. Somebody joined and asked if I played and they said they remembered my name from Blockland. Was kinda cool.
This has happened twice to me in TF2.

Blockland would easily make it on to Steam if it was ever submitted anyway. It doesn't take much at all to get on Steam, you just have to make a great game, or have decent publicity.

if blockland was on steam would we keep the blid system

i think blockland would do very very well on steam. though i cant imagine what it would be like using the steam community for joining on people, rather then the master server we have now.
maybe we can use both

if blockland was on steam would we keep the blid system
A whole bunch of games use keys to authenticate a user's identity. Like ArmA.

ah i assumed it would've been a problem
i don't know how most things work in games like you guys  :c

ah i assumed it would've been a problem
i don't know how most things work in games like you guys  :c
Get back to the studio... art slave//

i think blockland would do very very well on steam. though i cant imagine what it would be like using the steam community for joining on people, rather then the master server we have now.
maybe we can use both
AFAIK games can still be sold on Steam and still be independent of Steamworks and Steam servers, aside from simply downloading the game.  Considering the auto-updater works just as well with it, too...

I think there's some kind of restrictions I remember reading about other devs who didn't want to use it

this

although in one case somehow i managed to find an old blockland friend on a new game, but i guess that's a different situation. to be honest the only people i've ever known that have tried and liked blockland have been me and my brother.

Revelations 2012 is only there cause it uses source engine which is loving stupid. Plenty of good games have been rejected by steam but they let that stuff in because its source