Author Topic: Maze Wall-Hugger  (Read 3809 times)

Maze Wall Hugger
Available Mazes        Download        Data Pixels        Down to Bottom

What is this?

This is a Maze Wall Hugger program. What this does is simply programatically 'hug' the wall of a maze.
Its primary point was to debunk the theory that some of my friends have that only one wall works if you hug it.

Edit Log:

Version 1.1: Added maze descriptions.
Version 1.2: Fixed a bug from 1.1, added the ability to load more mazes without restarting.

Available Mazes

Not all mazes work; the program has to know where to start and stop. See: Data Pixels.

An arrow I used to test the program.

The Blockland maze save.

But of course, you're still going to scan it, and I can hardly say I blame you.

Data Pixels

This section is for maze makers/converters only - the data pixels tell the program where to start and stop.
  • Pixel {0, 0} - The X coordinate of the Red (left-handed wall-hugger) starting position.
  • Pixel {1, 0} - The Y coordinate of the Red starting position.
  • Pixel {2, 0} - The X coordinate of the Blue (right-handed wall-hugger) starting position.
  • Pixel {3, 0} - The Y coordinate of the Blue starting position.
  • Pixel {4, 0} - The X coordinate of the Red stopping position.
  • Pixel {5, 0} - The Y coordinate of the Red stopping position.
  • Pixel {6, 0} - The X coordinate of the Blue stopping position.
  • Pixel {7, 0} - The Y coordinate of the Blue stopping position.

The bitwise reading method is as follows: RRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGBBBBBBBB
In other words, an RGB of {0, 1, 44} translates to a coordinate of 300.

Pixel {8, 0} is not an integer.
  • Red is the direction value the wall-huggers start moving in.
    • 0 - Both start moving up.
    • 1 - Both start moving right.
    • 2 - Both start moving down.
    • 3 - Both start moving left.
  • Green is the speed value - this is the number of pixels both wall-huggers cover per tick. 0 corresponds to 1, 255 to 256.
  • Blue is the tick value - this is the length of each tick in milliseconds. 0 corresponds to 1, 255 to 256.

PM me if you need/can think of a better explanation regarding the data pixels.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:08:03 AM by Xalos »

This is a Maze Wall Hugger program. What this does is simply programatically 'hug' the wall of a maze.
I don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish.
Googling "maze wall hugger program" led me to this page. the forget?

I don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish.
Googling "maze wall hugger program" led me to this page. the forget?

>Put left hand on the wall of a maze, never take it off and keep on walking.
>Make it to the end without getting lost.
>Amaze friends and family who don't know this simple trick.

Makes me feel good every time

ORIGINAL POST:
If you know the Yogscast, Simon and Lewis will often solve a maze by sticking to one wall or the other.

Let's say you decide to hug the left wall. That means you never, ever leave it. If there's a junction that has a fork left, you take that fork. If it has a forward fork, you keep going straight. If it's a turn, well, you take that turn. And if you hit a dead end, you make a 180 and continue hugging the wall.

This will allow you to get from one exit on the outside of a maze to another. It's a slow, grinding, plodding way of getting through a maze, but it will get through all mazes which don't change.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:43:16 AM by Xalos »

so this is a program that does that to what mazes exactly?

Any maze it understands. The two images in the OP are the two that I bothered finding/making for it; if you save those and open them in the program, it'll tell you to click anywhere on the image. Then, when you click on the image, the two wall-huggers (red = left, blue = right) will start on their journeys.

so it's just a fun thing, and not like useful for anything?

Yeah. I was bored and wanted a way to see if a maze was shorter hugging the left or right wall.

Google was unable to retrieve this document? :c

Build this in Blockland and make it so you can't disconnect, quit, alt f4, ctrl alt delete + end process, turn off power, kick or ban until they get to the finish.

Hack their electric supply so it never goes out.

Heh, whoops. I derped and didn't make the file public. My bad.

Updated to V1.1; now the mazes in the OP have descriptions!

How descriptions work:

First, break your message down into ASCII byte format. Then, start putting it into the pixels at the bottom left, moving right.

In other words, {R: "T" (84); G: "e" (101); B: "x" (120)} followed by a second pixel with {R: "t" (116); G: "[NULLCHAR]" (0); B: 0}

The description string is null-terminated, so if you put a zero in one of the pixels' RGB fields the descript will end.

Thank you for describing wall-hugging in a way that I somehow just couldn't think of.
I feel stupid for not being able to describe simple things. Let me edit my earlier post.