Author Topic: Building skill is horrible  (Read 4313 times)

I've always been a bad builder, not the fact that I don't try to build. I try my hardest.
I just lack the proper imagination to make it come to life. I just picture a boring, square house.

As the best builder in all of Blockland, I'll give you some tips.

Make sure that nothing is just added to the build. Every detail should be thought out. When you decide to add a desk, ask yourself, "Does this match the style of the house? Does it fit? Does it make sense? How will I go about building this to look as good as it can be?"

It is good to have a plan when you do things. Before you build a house, try to build sample rooms on a baseplate with some walls. This build doesn't have to look nice, but it can give you a great idea of how much space a room will require to fit everything in it. The worst thing to do is get all of the exterior and interior walls in place, and find out that the last hour of building was wasted because you can't fit anything in your build.

Try to take examples from things in real life. The floor in every room shouldn't be the same. Symmetry can restrict style. Open floor plans can be really awesome. Rooms don't just have one thing in them. A big mistake people make is that they make their rooms too small; not many fancy living rooms require you to jump over the couches to move around.

google up some real lego displays built by professionals for cons or lego stores.

find something you like and try to copy it on blockland. you gotta find your style.
learning style from another blocklander isnt really a good way to "learn" to build "well"

learning style from another blocklander isnt really a good way to "learn" to build "well"
Hey, it may be a good way for the learner.  You never know.

To make a good roof for a 16x16 base house, get the smallest angle ramp and vary them by placing one ramp, and then put the next brick one stud forward and the next back one stud and so on. Also vary the colour; I like to make one row of ramps dark grey an the next slightly lighter.

The art of building lies in your abilities to practice, to set high standards, to find determination, to think, and your willingness to break parts of your build to improve it if you aren't satisfied.

Also, study other builds that are amazing on other servers. Found some windows that are super badass? Study them and see how well you can do and always try new things.

You could look at the designs of real buildings and try to build that to practice.

There's three tricks to building well.

1. Cheat.
Look at existing LEGO models. Pull up instructions sets and try and adapt them to fit in Blockland if you need to. This becomes easier and easier as the number of bricks available to everyone increases.

2. Steal.
Look at an existing Blockland build and copy the elements you like off of it. See a tree or a piece of furniture someone built? Copy it and put it in your build.

3. Cheat and steal.
Once you've got the hang of cheating and stealing, you'll realize that you can do better than the people you're stealing from. There's bound to be something you don't like about someone's build. So copy it, but don't copy it exactly, copy it better than before.

Eventually you'll know what combinations of bricks go well together and you won't need to look at instructions or other people's builds. At this point you can probably just start looking at pictures of stuff and reproducing it in Blockland.

I know some people might disagree with my phrasing here, and it's partly tongue in cheek, but everyone does it at some level. It's just how art gets made in general. Even if you're not actively copying stuff off someone else, you're subconsciously doing it. Take the example of windows. There's a couple different categories that you can group almost all windows into. There's ones that are combinations of arches and windows and other bricks. There's ones that are made up of several or many different window bricks. There's ones that are made up of print bricks. There's a huge variety of ways of decorating a window, but they all have a lot of common elements. Why? It's because there's a generally accepted view of what a "good" window should look like, and people just borrowed elements off each other's windows, even if they weren't thinking about it, and making them increasingly more ornate.

And here's the thing - it's not really stealing. If you look at windows and doors and roofs in real life you'll see they're pretty similar and you can group them into different categories. There's your standard roofs that are composed of hips, peaks, valleys, and gables. There's mansard roofs (change of angle somewhere on the roof). There's roofs with dormers, there's very steep roofs that have entire floors and attics built in them, there's flat roofs with stair access and air conditioning units on top. There's curvy metal and concrete roofs that you seem from architects like Santiago Calatrava and Frank Ghery. Roofs can be made of asphalt shingles, hot rolled asphalt, synthetic materials, synthetic rubbers like EPDM, cedar shakes, slate, concrete, metal, clay, mud, plastic, straw, and dozens of other materials. You may not have seen this since most people don't climb up on roofs but it's common to pour gravel all over the top of a flat roofed building to reflect light and keep waves from wind and puddles from eroding asphalt and rubber roofs. Roofs don't have to be black or gray, sometimes they are painted very bright colors - especially metal roofs. Different materials have different textures - clay is bumpy, metal has ridges that the pieces are soldered together along, sheet metal is wavy. Then there's different things you can decorate roofs with - antennas, helicopter landing pads, lights, cooling towers and air-conditioning units, vents, wind vanes, guard rails, lighting protection systems, chimneys, roof drains, bell towers, roof gardens, decks and pools.

If you can figure out what stuff "should" look like, generally speaking, then you've you're already halfway there.

oh wedge, you and your GIGANTIC walls of text

that actually make sense

god I love you

Thanks for all your ideas guys, I'll have to do it when I get the chance. I just don't want to look like a guy who fishes  for compliments.

Try to implement the golden ratio into your build, but Blockland's bricks can make it difficult to do that since golden integers are sometimes unusual.

Never make buildings with x5 walls.
Make a different wall on the inside of a building.

Thats all you need to know.

Try to implement the golden ratio into your build, but Blockland's bricks can make it difficult to do that since golden integers are sometimes unusual.
What do you mean by the "Golden ratio"?