Author Topic: Terrain Build: Demo Ruins  (Read 14320 times)

Demo Ruins is a terrain build featuring all your favorite Blockland builds in a whole new light.  See old default saves and other classics old, destroyed and in ruins.

It all started in Badspot's Block Party almost exactly a year ago.  The terrain was great and I wanted to contribute.  I saw a small build in ruins and I got the idea of building the Demo House in ruins and putting a little adventure-cave inside of it.

A few days later, DarkScropion and °ªÐråîth³ (I'm_AFK at the time) built their own little demo builds in ruin.  Draith built the Demo Fort from Kitchen and DarkScorpion built the Pong from bedroom.  I thought these three builds were really neat and would make a wonderful build theme.  So I saved Badspot's server and went to my own.  Deleted most of the terrain, aside from some that was very close to the Demo House (it was just too pretty to spare, and I loved Barnabas' Highway)

The Demo Ruins build got a pretty large following and became one of my more successful (and favorite) projects.  But, like most of my projects.. It eventually died out and people got bored of working on it.  I wanted to wait until v21 to start up a project but I've received many requests to bring this one back early: so here it is!

Terrain: Demo Ruins is a community build and we need as much help as we can get.  (High points bolded)

• Demo Ruins is the theme of the build, but feel free to build almost anything you want in ruins as long as it isn't an eyesore.  We like having a variety of builds as they make the build more unique and fun.  It's like Badspot's server (but more managed)
  • Build Terrain. We always need terrain!  Any decent looking cubescape terrain you can make is a huge help.
  • Blend with the terrain around you.  This is the number one rule of terrain builds, and if you don't do it, your terrain will be deleted..
  • Add adventures and secrets to your build.  Hidden areas and Easter eggs are one of the things that make the best Blockland builds so unique and fun to explore. (Reward secrets with Treasure Chest brick)  Have a lot of fun with this one.  Make puzzles and challenges.  Take advantage of the default tools like Colored Keys, Telebricks, Checkpoints and Events.  We really want more adventures.  (If you need help or inspiration, look at Demo House and Badspot's Sandy Hole)
  • Feel free to build your own ruined builds on your terrain, but don't add Demo/Default builds unless you've talked with Jirue.  We already have a lot of special plans for specific default builds.
  • If you really want to ruin a certain build, you can ask Jirue about it, or put that build on a baseplate separate from the terrain build and ruin it there.  If it is done well enough, we will find a home for it in the terrain build.
  • Conserve bricks.  With this much terrain, we need to try and be considerate of the brick count.  Do not make your terrain entirely out of 4x bricks and do not apply grass with only 4x4 plates.
  • I know I just said it, but for the love of God do not make your grass out of 4x4 plates ;_;  Jirue and °ªÐråîth³ just spent an hour fixing grass done by the wonderful Jediman
  • Don't troll or anything of the like.  You'll be banned.  The mood can be light but we still want to make progress, anything that completely prevents that is not wanted.
  • Check out the Dirty Jobs list to see specific jobs that need to be done.

The server is dedicated and hosted by Squarehead, so be on the lookout for his name in the server list if you want to join and help out or just look at it.

These are specific jobs around the server that need to get done by anyone who is willing to do them.

Squarehead's Rocket Challenge
Squarehead's Rocket Course has been moved to a new location and is currently very naked.  We need someone who is really good at terrain to cover it up (Coordinate things with Orion, as his terrain isn't finished either)

Requirements
  • Be really quite good at Terrain
  • Blend with Orion's terrain and such

A list of all the member's who have contributed to the build in some way (That we know of, post if you helped and we didn't mention you)

• Squarehead (BL_ID: 748) - Server host
  • °ªÐråîth³ (BL_ID: 18589) - Professional Lawn and Grass Growing Consultant
  • Jirue (BL_ID: 212) - Project Director and overall neat guy
  • Brickman (BL_ID: 4603) - Terrain
  • UngaBunga (BL_ID: 20419) - Ye Ol' Mines
  • Mr.Noßody (BL_ID: 6480) - Abandoned Tower
  • Badspot (BL_ID: 0) - Badspot's Sandy Hole
  • Dandodeys (BL_ID: 3050) - Terrain
  • Phantom Knight (BL_ID: 16558) - Terrain
  • Zax (BL_ID: 14000) - Terrain
  • Barnabas (BL_ID: 723) - Highway Tunnel style, Terrain
  • Sleven (BL_ID: 4540) - Terrain
  • Onyx (BL_ID: 3469) - Terrain
  • Jenxas (BL_ID: 2108) - Terrain
  • jediman (BL_ID: ???) - Being the worst person at grass ever

Pictures and more info about the build itself

Demo Ruins Flickr Album

Videos featuring / filmed on the server

Blockhead Moves Like Jagger

Completed Default Builds:
Demo House (By: Jirue)
Bedroom's Demo House.  Features entrance to the Abandoned Mines

Info (By: Jirue and °ªÐråîth³
The Info booth from Badspot's Block Party (Specifically the one from his Treasure Hunt server, modified)

Demo Fort (By: °ªÐråîth³)
Kitchen's Demo Fort.  Currently features no secrets.

Demo Blockland Sign (By: Jirue)
Slate's Demo Blockland Sign.

Challenges and Adventures:
Abandoned Gold Mines (By: Jirue) *Work in Progress
The abandoned gold mines hidden under the Demo House.  Currently features 12 treasure chests and several puzzles/challenges.

Badspot's Sandy Hole (By: Badspot)
Badspot's Sandy Hole from his Treasure Hunt server way back in v17.  Features 10 treasure chests.

Orion's Challenge (By: Orion) *Work in Progress
Orion's adventure near the river.

Squarehead's Rocket Course (By: Squarehead)
Squarehead's Rocket Jumping course.  8 Levels of extremely hard rocket-jumping obstacles.

Plans/Default builds in Progress:
ACM City
ACM City is currently in the build where it is to stay.  It only has 2 ruined buildings.  I would like an adventure in the city somewhere

Beta City
Beta City is to be connected to ACM City through the exiting tunnel  It has not been ruined or placed in the build.

Ice Palace
Ice Palace is planned to be hidden away in the caves at the end of the river.  I would like to have an ice-themed cave challenge connected to it.

Two Ships
Two Ships will be sunk in the big lake at the other end of the river.  They have not been placed/ruined yet.

Afghanistan DM
Afghan was once going to be way down the highway in a desert area of the build.  It has been decided that the build is starting to get quite large and we'd like to expand as little as possible.  It's been decided that Afghanistan will not be explorable in the build, but the highway leading to Afghanistan will remain.  It will most likely just be a closed down Highway due to Nuclear Radiation or something of the like (It was a massive Deathmatch course, after all)

Default Colorset - Faded
The official colorset of Terrain: Demo Ruins

Description
All the default colors + Default faded colors

Screenshots

Installation
Put Colorset_DefaultFaded.zip into the Add-Ons folder in your Blockland folder.

Click Here to view this file on the RTB Downloads System

Badspots Demo Ruins Save File
The save file to Badspot's original server where this all started.  Unzip this and put the .bls in your Slate save folder.

Updates about the server

Tuesday, July 17:  Ugly River redone by Zax
Wednesday, July 18:  Orion started a new Adventure/Challenge
Wednesday, July 18:  Squarehead finished his Rocket Launcher Course/Challenge (Just needs terrain)
Wednesday, July 18:  Mr.Noßody adds "Abandoned Tower" to the mix of builds.
Thursday, July 19:  Tons of progress made on Abandoned Mines under Demo House
Thursday, July 19:  Squarehead's Rocket Course moved to a new location
Thursday, July 19:  Additions to the Media section of the OP
Thursday, July 19:  New Dirty Job posted

Message Jirue on Steam
Send Jirue a Personal Message

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:05:30 AM by Jay the Cartoonist »

I love the ad, I can't remember that game it's based off of now since they died a while back.

That or I just have had adblock for so long...

If you still have the save to that entire block party, could you pm it to me?

Ontopic: I will be thar

If you still have the save to that entire block party, could you pm it to me?

Ontopic: I will be thar
I may have the save.. I'll have to check on that

Edit: Yay I have it, I'll put that up in Downloads section later

Edit 2: Just put it up
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:22:35 PM by Jay the Cartoonist »

I think I helped build a short little side tunnel thing on the side of the mountains, add me in for terrain credit please :0

I approve.

lol evony ad

woah woah woah.  2nd page?  bump yo

I think I helped build a short little side tunnel thing on the side of the mountains, add me in for terrain credit please :0
added ya

updated OP, soper proud of those little links at the top of the page lol

Triple post for this epic quote:

YEAH GUYS!  COME ON! LETS BUILD SOMETHIN CRAZY!

FIRST ONE TO BUILD A ZEPPELIN WITH A JETPACK WINS

threetwooneGO

Barn is 723, double-checked with the ID list.

Also, did you use a panorama shot for the op or did you set your FOV high then take a shot? It looks like high FOV.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:25:12 AM by Doomonkey »

Barn is 723, double-checked with the ID list.

Also, did you use a panorama shot for the op or did you set your FOV high then take a shot? It looks like high FOV.
This automated panorama thing in Photoshop
and Thanks :)