Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a "Catastrophe".

Author Topic: Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a "Catastrophe".  (Read 7159 times)

Im not even going to worry about windows 8 because im not gonna loving buy it.

Windows 8 IS a catastrophe

he also talked stuff about the ps3 a long while back, and now look at valve's relationship with it

he also talked stuff about the ps3 a long while back, and now look at valve's relationship with it
Valve's PS3 relationship still isn't the best.  They can't ship CSGO patches at the speed to allow for cross platfrom play.  The reason for Gabe Newell praising the PS3 was because of its service.  Microsoft simply won't allow Valve to put Steam on Xbox, while EA is allowed to have the Origin login.  Gabe Newell didn't like the PS3 at first because it was so difficult to code for.  While it was ironic that he did end up supporting PS3 more, it wasn't for the same reason that he didn't like it.

Windows will never be on the same level as Mac OSX, Microsoft should just give up and scrap the entire product. 

"Microsoft calls Valve Software a "Failure"

Windows will never be on the same level as Mac OSX, Microsoft should just give up and scrap the entire product. 
applaud

I thought he died, or was that just my starfish friend.

Also it looks more complicated than windows vista

Windows 8 isn't THAT bad, but Microsoft is doing something wrong.

People are getting confused why the Metro UI is heavily advertised AS Windows 8. The usual Metro UI shots are just the start menu.

You can do back to the desktop, and work from there all the time. One thing I liked alot is that you can run Metro apps along side of the Desktop. I hope other media players like foobar and VideoLAN utilize a Metro app for other formats.

Either way, it gets annoying that Windows 8 has the start menu and Metro in the first place. You'll end up going back to Windows 7 within a week.

I liked it at first, kinda glitchy at the end. I'd wait on the final build and then check it out.

The main problem for me isn't some strange design philosophy somehow being more important than functionality.. though it doesn't help. I somewhat "like" the new Metro.. but there's one very annoying problem with it that a lot of new users are going to struggle with.

Everyone who immediately goes to the Desktop has no clear way back to this menu without clicking this one MAGIC PIXEL in the bottom left corner. It is a very TINY area. What does Microsoft do? Remove the giant button that went back to this menu.

It was fine in the Developer Build, then they went and screwed up functionality for the sake of some imaginary design and fancy shlock thing. Oh, and there's no classic program list on first Desktop use unless you adjust the toolbar settings a little, but noone is going to figure that out, and so many people will go stomping back to their computer store being frustrated how to use their "BRAND NEW, EASY TO USE [flat out lie] COMPUTER!"

Swell, Microsoft.

Windows 8 makes me think Microsoft is jelly of Apple. Really. There's no point in having a Windows that's not for gaming now on, it's quite the only "better" part than a Mac.

There's no point in having a Windows that's not for gaming now on, it's quite the only "better" part than a Mac.
What if you don't play games? lol.

Microsoft is too stuck into working on the tablet, Microsoft Surface.

They developed Microsoft Surface along with Windows 8 which makes sense because of the metro styled start menu. They haven't really thought about the desktop/laptop users whom have a mouse, when I had the Windows 8 Beta, I got very pissed off at the fact that I had to move my mouse over most of the screen just to open Blockland, in the start menu that is. The start menu should be small so it can be quickly navigable, in my opinion anyway.

Although the design isn't bad at all.

Not everybody can pay for machines over £1,000.

Plus Windows is much more open, the target market for Mac based computers are for the old cripples.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:43:43 AM by nerraD »

Stop being such an Mac fanboy.