Blockland 2

Author Topic: Blockland 2  (Read 34393 times)

The long awaited sequel for the hit-cult game Blockland has finally been announced. The game will follow the traditional gameplay focusing on the construction of miniature plastic objects, with some new twists, and upgrades that fully take advantage of the capabilities of modern computational power.

Phsyics

Yes, physics. Long awaited, and long requested, Blockland 2 will feature physics! But the physics go far beyond what anyone previously imagined. You will be able to knock around bricks (which are fully destructible now, including gibs), other players, and vehicles. With enough force, you may even move large physical objects like the bed in bedroom, or knock down the lamp on the dresser.

The new physics engine is upgraded massively. Collisions are represented as a bunch of nodes representing the atoms of the structure, connected through rigid bones, which freely rotate. Every object expresses a small amount of "give" when someone bumps into it. Solid objects have rigid bones, liquids are simulated with loose bones, and gasses have no bones. Objects and movements are now simulated down the the molecular level.

Furthermore, there is a new fluid dynamics calculation system. Solid objects act on the semi-rigid nature of fluid to push them in a realistic manner. You can now trap liquids in containers. You can also trap gasses in some containers. Moving objects around influences the air, creating small changes in the air patterns (much more noticeable as a mini-figure, you can push people around with the wind). Flowing liquids push and create force against physical objects. If enough force builds up, weak containers may break or rupture.

Next feature... AI... Coming soon.

Wait.. what?
And why is this in Drama?
I'm confused now...

It would be cool if it was true, well, it could be, but unless Badspot has put a good team together, it probably wouldn't happen.

Wait.. what?
And why is this in Drama?
I'm confused now...

thus, just creating drama   ):D

Holy crap! DO WANT! DO WANT!

Is this for real or some sort of evil, evil prank?

Trust not in Wedge, but believe in Badspot...

But Wedge is winnar!

Blockland With physics?  Hell, just make a Leg-erm, I mean-Blocko mod for Gmod.  Much easier, and seems highly possible.

Make it and I will........ :cookieMonster:?
\
MAKE IT OR I WILL KICK YOUR DOG NOW!

Dynamic AI System

Something lacking in previous versions of Blockland was an AI system. AI is now present, in the form of NPCs. These are generated from npc bricks. NPCs have a variety of needs and aspirations. They will find food and eat it if they are hungry. If they don't have food, they steal it. Certain bricks or items can be set to be owned by an NPC. If you jump into an NPC's pick-up, for example, it will chase after you and try and take it back. If they have weapons, they will kill you.

The AI is smart now, taking cover behind bricks or any available cover, even other people and vehicles.

Next, the weather system and climate system.

The time of day is taken from your system clock. If you start the game up at 12 at night, it will be dark out. Weather systems are generated from real data, collected by NOAA. For example, the new "Bedroom" map is located in Charleston, South Carolina. Streaming weather data is taken from the noaa.gov server and used to generate simulated weather patterns. This service is only available to cities in the US. Through a server option, you can pick what location you want your map to be located in, from a list of about 200 locations.

The maps.

Terrain maps are generated using real terrain from USGS data. Advances in rendering software allow the terrain to have caves and other features. Like stated before, weather and light are calculated from data on your computer.

The bricks.

Bricks are back and better then before. Rendered engine side in full 3d, these bricks look better then any previous incarnation. Through a server option, players may toggle on "wear and tear." Bricks will now be generated with random scratches. If one is unlucky, bricks may even be deformed, missing pegs, chewed, or split in half.

Bricks can be dynamically modified in game. Through the new physics, players can saw bricks in half. However, quickly sawing will result in jagged edges, so sawing must be done carefully. There are also various sanding, carving, and polishing tools.

Brick gibs are now fully featured, with collisions. If a brick is destroyed, small gib pieces fly around. It is possible to accumulate piles of gibs, creating hills of plastic bits. Large piles may collapse and flow, killing players and blocking doors. These pieces can be cleaned up using the broom tool.

Physical joints.

Bricks can now be connected through LEGO Technic style pieces and various sized strings, winches, and rubber bands. This allows for the construction of many interesting weapons.

Vehicles.
Vehicles are now constructed from scratch. For people who do not want to spend a lot of time building the ultimate car, various prebuilt cars and car pieces for quick assembly are included. Players may also save their vehicles and load them in other servers. Support is fully supplied for flying, floating, and land vehicles.

Coming soon... Fighting, Deathmatch, Items.

But Wedge is winnar!

I want Badspot to post it, or it's all wasted electrons to me.

LOL calculating every molecule XD

not
happening
any
time
soon

anyone who believed this is noob. even the source engine couldnt come close to pulling this off.

This isn't factual, but if it actually was, the game wouldn't be on Torque. Maybe when TGEA has a few years of development.

I think Wedge is going somewhere with this...
This is probably going to end in some way to make us feel really bad about demanding moar from Badspot.  Or I could be full of sht.