Author Topic: GPU Problems  (Read 601 times)

Hi guys, I've got a bit of a problem that I need help with.  When I try to play any 3D games, my I get nasty audio stuttering and my gpu temperature gets dangerously hot (well over 100 C).  I'm on a fairly fresh install of windows currently.  MSE and Spybot haven't picked anything up as of yet.  I've also opened the case, and the dust was fairly minimal.
My laptop is an ASUS g51jx.
Some specs:
  • nvidia geforce gts 360m
  • intel core i7 - 720qm
  • 4gb ram
  • 500gb hybrid drive

I've tried both the most up to date drivers, and asus recommended drivers, and nothing solves the problems.  Does anyone have any clue as to what my computer is doing?

Has this been going on a while or has it started recently?

I'm no expert, but do you have a Nvidia equivalent to Catalyst (Software that changes Fan speed, overclocking etc. For AMD GPUs)?
If so, try updating that. My graphics card would go to insane temperatures and then turn off my computer abruptly, but all I needed to do was update Catalyst. I'm not sure if this is what you meant by updating drivers.

At first I was like "jesus christ" but then I saw that it was a laptop. PROTIP: laptops overheat because they suck, I hate my laptop because my left hand has actually gotten burns from the heating vent located there on the underside.

Unless of course this is a new problem, in which case I dunno

This is fairly recent.  I've not had problems in the past, though it's always run pretty hot.  Believe me, I'd get a desktop if I could, but right now it's not exactly an option for me.