Blockland on Steam Greenlight?

Author Topic: Blockland on Steam Greenlight?  (Read 8754 times)

I say no, it would add a whole new type of idiotic players, and also we have the Blockland launcher for updates.

Nope, Blockland's community was meant to be a small one. I doubt it could handle tons of players that are completely new to that game and literally keep on coming each day. Blockland is fine being an indie game and purchasable on the Blockland website.

Key system would no longer work, BLIDs would no longer work. Lots of code will have to be edited, Badspot just needs to advertise better.

Some things that haven't been mentioned yet.

Return to Blockland is pretty much an essential addon for Blockland. There are absolutely NO Steam games that require you to look inside the game's data folder in order to get (practically) as good of an experience as everyone else to play the game. If Blockland got uploaded to Steam, I'd assume the player count would increase a lot. All the new players would think RTB is some complicated stuff that old players just boast about that people don't bother looking into. Steam players are very picky; Everything that comes with the game must be contained within its own interface.
It would take a lot of work for Baddy and/or Kompressor to "implement" the one feeding source of the community into the game. There's a lot of complications, too, since all of the features in the RTB Overlay would have to be included somewhere else. People don't want to have two different overlays, one for Steam and one for the game itself.

Another problem: Blockland is very quirky. It has many issues and silly things attributed to it that most people pawn off since they've been here for so long that people become oblivious to them. The entire minigame feature would have to be removed, and replaced by SERVER SETTINGS for what players could do and how the gamemode works. Currently, minigames are all just default and you never, ever see more than one non-default minigame crop up at a freebuild server for example. Most of the time that happens, it's just a newbie messing around or people are bored.
There's other things you could attribute, but I wanted to get the minigames thing off my chest. The server creation GUI looks unlike every other GUI at the moment. The colorset editor is only found in the player avatar screen, and doesn't serve to change the colorset used for bricks. Lastly, the physics engine isn't perfect, the best example of this being in ramps(there's so many things wrong, just look at it yourself).

Having a small community eliminates these problems as being a 'big deal,' because anyone willing to play the game gets used to these issues as they learn the ropes of playing Blockland.

TL;DR The game currently has too many issues to be presented to a very large community.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:55:49 PM by darerd »

Key system would no longer work, BLIDs would no longer work.
Whys that?

ugh, so many people complaining about nonexistant problems

ugh, so many people complaining about nonexistant problems
I wasn't saying they are problems, I'm saying that Steam players would probably notice them, making the game seem worse, making them not want to play, and if this happens enough, giving Blockland a bad reputation.

Some things that haven't been mentioned yet.

Return to Blockland is pretty much an essential addon for Blockland. There are absolutely NO Steam games that require you to look inside the game's data folder in order to get (practically) as good of an experience as everyone else to play the game. If Blockland got uploaded to Steam, I'd assume the player count would increase a lot. All the new players would think RTB is some complicated stuff that old players just boast about that people don't bother looking into. Steam players are very picky; Everything that comes with the game must be contained within its own interface.
It would take a lot of work for Baddy and/or Kompressor to "implement" the one feeding source of the community into the game. There's a lot of complications, too, since all of the features in the RTB Overlay would have to be included somewhere else. People don't want to have two different overlays, one for Steam and one for the game itself.

Another problem: Blockland is very quirky. It has many issues and silly things attributed to it that most people pawn off since they've been here for so long that people become oblivious to them. The entire minigame feature would have to be removed, and replaced by SERVER SETTINGS for what players could do and how the gamemode works. Currently, minigames are all just default and you never, ever see more than one non-default minigame crop up at a freebuild server for example. Most of the time that happens, it's just a newbie messing around or people are bored.
There's other things you could attribute, but I wanted to get the minigames thing off my chest. The server creation GUI looks unlike every other GUI at the moment. The colorset editor is only found in the player avatar screen, and doesn't serve to change the colorset used for bricks. Lastly, the physics engine isn't perfect, the best example of this being in ramps(there's so many things wrong, just look at it yourself).

Having a small community eliminates these problems as being a 'big deal,' because anyone willing to play the game gets used to these issues as they learn the ropes of playing Blockland.

TL;DR The game currently has too many issues to be presented to a very large community.
about the whole RTB thing: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/

Many other games work exactly like blockland does right now.  That's modding for you. 

Also, on the whole community thing: who cares?  Why not get more players so the game isn't as stagnant as it is now?  You just don't like change.

Think about this.

Blockland is now a comfy inn.

If we import it into Steam, the comfy inn will turn into a huge, uncomfy corporate hotel.

stop making the small community argument guys. it's clear badspot does not intend this whatsoever
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=189571.msg5049231#msg5049231

Then it sounds better for him to somehow target people purposely via a website that has certain age groups.

Like, uh, I have no ideas.

Give Badspot some places he can advertise?

Then it sounds better for him to somehow target people purposely via a website that has certain age groups.

Like, uh, I have no ideas.

Give Badspot some places he can advertise?
i think he had some ads on youtube before

yeah http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=190728.0

Think about this.

Blockland is now a comfy inn.

If we import it into Steam, the comfy inn will turn into a huge, uncomfy corporate hotel.
Terrible comparison.

Blockland isn't some place you go into. It's a product you bring home with you. Literally.

There's no space limitation, as players host their own servers. More players joining = more servers = more space.
There's no cleanup ladies. Your server is your server. Some lady does not come in to change your towels and clean up pizza boxes. You can however appoint a maid for your home, which does much more than that, except they can steal your change and your TV. (admins)
Your room is not next to someone else's room. If someone has a bunch of music blaring on their server. You can't hear it. If the people above you are jumping and stomping, you still can't hear it on your server.

It's more like taking home sidewalk chalk than an inn. You can either go out front and start drawing where everyone can see it, copy it, or even join in. Or you can draw in the backyard where no one can see it.
If all your neighbors also buy chalk and decide to draw, you could make masterpieces, new ideas, and fresh new games. Many minds are better than fewer minds.

If you're talking about the forum side of things... Then I simply laugh at you and explain nothing.

Badspot already said back then in the older topic if I remember he has no intents of allowing this.

And why do you guys want it on steam?
I don't see a difference other than the fact that will just force people to get steam to buy Blockland.

And why do you guys want it on steam?
Bigger community with newer ideas.
More money for Badspot.
I don't see a difference other than the fact that will just force people to get steam to buy Blockland.
Wrong. Many games that are on steam do not need to be purchased on steam. Thank you for letting me know you're uninformed.