Author Topic: Group Brick Naming (A SERIOUSLY GOOD IDEA)  (Read 2025 times)

I always thought sub-level brick naming would be awesome. In case you don't know what that means, it basically allows for an extra event, and an extra brick name. This would be quite useful for grouping bricks and having outputs via event. If you are still lost try this scenario:

0      onActivate -> NamedBrick -> Plant1 -> SetColor -> RED
0      onActivate -> NamedSubBrick -> PlantGroup1 -> SetEmitter -> LASER A

How does this make sense? Think about it. If each brick can have 2 names, a single name and a group name; it would allow for better brick event diversity, allowing some bricks to do certain things in a group, while the group as a whole changes similarly. It would allow for bricks to duplicate the same effect as other bricks, but allow for some bricks in that group to attain special properties.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:50:03 AM by Goth77 »

kinda cool, but vce if variables already has this covered if you think about it...

kinda cool, but vce if variables already has this covered if you think about it...

Not really

if so explain how

so basically brick parenting

let's do it

I've never heard of sub-names but this sounds like grouping.

Yes definitely.

A better example would be for a house's lights.  I use a lot of events for a single light to make it look good, ambient light, glow effect, ect.  But, if you sub-name all the lights, instead of Basementlight, Ceilinglight, you could just subname them Light an have them turn on all together if needed.

Yes definitely.

A better example would be for a house's lights.  I use a lot of events for a single light to make it look good, ambient light, glow effect, ect.  But, if you sub-name all the lights, instead of Basementlight, Ceilinglight, you could just subname them Light an have them turn on all together if needed.

Exactly. You could make individual named bricks keep special properties while the bricks as a group have a similar function.

I am glad this idea is receiving positive reviews :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:07:42 AM by Goth77 »

Bump. Does anyone think they could make this? It is entirely possible but I have no clue how to script when it comes to event mods, or how to add an extra brick name to the current event wrench menu

so a named brick could be:
Name: Spawn A
Subname: Team 1
?

Bump. Does anyone think they could make this? It is entirely possible but I have no clue how to script when it comes to event mods, or how to add an extra brick name to the current event wrench menu
Would require client-sided gui modification.

Not necessarily, but that would be easiest.

Not necessarily, but that would be easiest.
There is always a way to do something with a gui without a gui
All the gui does is calling commandtoserver

so a named brick could be:
Name: Spawn A
Subname: Team 1
?

Yep you got the idea exactly. Grouping bricks by name and still allowing them to have an individual brick name

True, but it would still just add an extra brick name box to the wrench menu. I think Badspot should put this in the next update if possible

or
name_subname
no need for a new GUI

or
name_subname
no need for a new GUI

Right but the naming sequence would have to use tags to support this feature, such as NAMEDBRICK<subName:BrickGroup1>

It would be much easier just to add another name box to the wrench menu