Author Topic: A new Islands map...by RW.  (Read 2722 times)

hey guys,

just wanted to know if anyone is interested in me releasing an island map I recently made. It is designed with BL and building in mind. Let me describe my reasoning.

1. Slate is too bland and flat and does not offer any dynamics to building.
2. The only terrain map (room maps don't count) is slopes and it lacks flat build areas.

So I decided to create the best Island map I can make with building, RPGs and conformative terrain in mind.

The island consists of two Land segments. One huge one (this is where city and mountain goes) and a smaller one (for residential builds, the airport and the beach). Provisions are in the map for making a bridge (building of course) to connect the 2 islands.

Mountains are made in a layer/tier system similair to a cake rather than in one big mound which you can't build on. Trees from the Forest maps are also placed on the mountain to add to the scenery. There is a nice spot for a secluded cabin and an open spot on top of mountain for an observatory.

The ground level of the main island is where a city can be built. Theres also plenty of room inside the bay (created by the 2 islands) for creating a harbor. Ocean floor is flat so building ships and docks will not be a hassle working around terrain.

Anyway...heres a picture of the map. If your interested I can make a fly-thru video and show some of the features of the map.

It seems like it'd be a good map for team DM, of course we'd want boats, but we can always fly, ANYWAY...

I think this would be better for Team DMs or non-serious builds because most people makin serious builds like to have extremly large building areas so they don't run out of room.  Though adding terrain makes it 'fit' more terrain can always be built.

I would like to see this map realesed though, because I think it'd make a good Team DM or Zombie war thing.

It seems like it'd be a good map for team DM, of course we'd want boats, but we can always fly, ANYWAY...

I think this would be better for Team DMs or non-serious builds because most people makin serious builds like to have extremly large building areas so they don't run out of room.  Though adding terrain makes it 'fit' more terrain can always be built.

I would like to see this map realesed though, because I think it'd make a good Team DM or Zombie war thing.

Well, its good to hear you like that map and would like me to release it (which I may do soon) I must say that I disagree with the DM and building comment.

This map is really large, larger than it may appear in the picture. It was designed with building huge cities and residential neighbourhoods and bridges. I don't think a DM would work unless you built some stuff on it (like a city).

Of course, what you use it for is up to you, but its intended for building.

nice use of textures
nice use of flat land,
should be a bit bigger
should have better shore line
this is a fairly good map... nothign too special
6.75/10

Use the smooth tool around the edges of the island.

I'd also recommend working on lighting and skybox (just doesn't seem right), and perhaps get a new texture for the water.

May also be an idea to decrease the waters opacity, and increase the wave size.

Use the smooth tool around the edges of the island.

Well, its supposed to have a hard edge because those are steep rocks and it addes definition. If I round it it will look fake. I will, though, try and remove some of the super-hard edges that I think you are talking about.

I'd also recommend working on lighting and skybox (just doesn't seem right),

Well, the skybox was from another map. I matched the fog to the sky so it would blend in. I know its kinda pinkish but thats what works with the sky. Maybe I can tweak it a bit.

and perhaps get a new texture for the water.

Yeah, I noticed that too, kinda odd looking. I'll see what I can do.

May also be an idea to decrease the waters opacity, and increase the wave size.

Good idea.

should be a bit bigger

Trust me...there is Plenty of space on this island. just the flat ground area near the bay is about 13 64x64 baseplates wide..and much longer. If you can fill that space thoughtfully...you call me :)

should have better shore line

Despite what other island maps may have you believe, real islands typically have a mixture of beachs and cliffs (usually more of the latter) and I tried to have a system on my island. I figured if I only made 2 beaches (one on residential island and one on back of mainland then people would be more encouraged to build whatever there (sandcastles, umbrellas, deckchairs, ect) rather than spread out. Also, on the city side of the bay, it was deliberately left rough and sharp so a harbor could be built.

ill download and make a big and filled city for the luls

ill download and make a big and filled city for the luls

I'll put it up for Beta DLs hopefully sometime today.

This looks like it would be great for a game of Open Warfare. Polish, then release plz.

Smooth brush much?

Flat terrain for building much?

Epic bridge building map.

I WANT TO BUILD ON THIS MAP!
HURRY IT UP!

k

I need to figure out what resources I used to package with it.