Mega Environments! [The closest thing we can get to terrain!]

Author Topic: Mega Environments! [The closest thing we can get to terrain!]  (Read 2374 times)

So, yesterday I was experimenting with ground texture sizes and resolutions, and I invented a type of ground texture that will probably revolutionize environments on the game,
Basically, it's the closest we'll ever get to getting terrain back in the game, although it doesn't recreate the bumpy 3D terrain Blockland used to have, it does restore it's look.

I made two new environments with the technique and I'm planning to release them in the next couple of days.
The first one I made is set in the countryside, which I reckon would look amazing on suburban/country builds.

I made another set in a desert, I love how it turned out.

Compare the default desert ground texture with the mega one I made and you'll see a massive difference between them.

While the default texture literally screams that it's a small , endlessly repeating texture, the mega environment is much more subtle.

Unfortunately, since the texture resolutions for mega environments are higher, the texture file sizes become "mega" as well, but through some decent compression and the file put into a .zip, it shouldn't be a issue.

So, what do you think?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:33:06 PM by Aphtonites »

Here's another thing you can do wih mega environments, the world!

Yeah, it's pretty ugly atm, but it's just a quick draft to see if it's possible.
It's absolutely massive, and making it even bigger is possible, imagine a City RP of sorts that lets you use airports to travel to other countries, or escaping a prison in a jail RP and running towards the mexican border?

Wow this is really nice. Could really introduce new things to BL.

I thought the maximum resolution was 2048.

I thought the maximum resolution was 2048.
It is? I haven't made them any bigger than that due to file size concerns.

Oh. You just stretched the forget out of them making 1 pixel around the size of a 16x base. Ugly.

Oh. You just stretched the forget out of them making 1 pixel around the size of a 16x base. Ugly.
Uh, no.
A 16x base is about 8 or more pixels, look at the first picture and compare the floor with the house and the car.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:08:54 PM by Aphtonites »

The forget I don't get it.
What does it do

The forget I don't get it.
What does it do
You didn't read the OP very well, didn't you?

Cool

This could let Slate Roads make a comeback.

The farmland looks awesome, I can't wait to see this released.

I'd like to know what these textures look like in first person from the ground.
Yes, I know the textures aren't dimensional, I just want to see the resolution first hand.