Author Topic: your vs you're  (Read 6350 times)

Seriously people, learn you some grammar.

Pretty much everyone, with one or two exceptions, use 'your' when they should be using you're. Just think about what you're writing.

See what i did there? Break it up into the two words, you and are, then read it and see which one you should use.

Example:

Ok good, your in the clan.
WRONG

Just think to yourself, "you are in the clan, yes that makes sense...let's see"

Ok good, you're in the clan.

Congratulations, you now you don't look like an idiot!

I catch Spation making grammatical errors from time to time, it's quite ironic.
It is kind of. And yes those posts are "lulz".

And A-Master, it's not "cool" if only one person does it. Did you read my post anyway?

Seriously people, learn you some grammar.

That first paragraph was a joke, I purposefully made it like that. See the irony of bad grammar in a "People need to use better grammar" thread.

Edit: Lol too many quote tags.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:51:21 AM by Game master pro »

Why is grammar so important? I mean, sure it is important in a sense that we need it to communicate, and that would be limited to a certain point where even if the message is a tad screwy the recipient would still be able to easily read it and understand the conveyed information.

But that's where this ultimately leads. There is a difference between "Lul 1 h4v357 tr13d t3h l33t sp33kk yte ples tel d3m tu w417" and "i havent tried out the new teamspeak channel yet" and "I haven't tried the new Teamspeak channel yet". The first message is batstuff stupid and you can't understand it, while the second is easily understandable by anyone who can think at all, and the third one is the correct way to convey the information.

The point is, if you are smart enough to dissect everything someone says for the single purpose of correcting a mistake he might have made, doesn't that also make you smart enough to understand what he is saying in the first place? If the message did it's job then there is little reason to criticize it or the writer, at this point criticizing would be a waste of time and energy.

Of course this implies to small messages, more important literatures on the other hand have to be absolutely perfect because the information they convey needs to be precise. They are usually thoroughly dissected of all information, so the slightest error could potentially throw off the information and cause problems.

But guys, this is the internet, nothing here is that important. If you want to criticize grammatical errors that badly then go get a wikipedia account and have some fun over there instead.

And A-Master, it's not "cool" if only one person does it.

You know the truth is, this community hardly needs anyone at all to solely do this. Especially when it's all they ever do to contribute.

Did you read my post anyway?

Yes. Basically you were just trying to tell me how important it is to have people who contantly corrects the spelling mistakes of others. But the truth is, it really is not that important at all. When someone makes an awfully written post, everyone will notice it, then call that person off. So the community effectively doesn't need someone whose sole purpose is to do this. And I find it funny, yet hypoctitical, how you feel that you yourself are fit for correcting other's mistakes, when like I said, back when you joined this forum, you were pretty terrible at spelling yourself. Now you just like to condemn others who most certainly can spell better than you used to. Your efforts are hardly usefull so much as they're just nit picking.

So you think that's all I contribute? The community goes further than these here forums.

Seriously people learn you some grammar.

Pretty much everyone, with one or two exceptions use 'your' when they should be using you're. Just think about what you're writing.

See what i did there? Break it up into the two words, you and are, then read it and see which one you should use.

Example:

Ok good, your in the clan.
WRONG

Just think to yourself, "you are in the clan, yes that makes sense...let's see"

Ok good, you're in the clan.

Congratulations, you now don't look like an idiot!
its just a freakin' forum, god...

Then don't:

A) Copy everything he put, there was no need to.
Or
B) Bring religion into it.

Then don't:

A) Copy everything he put, there was no need to.
Or
B) Bring religion into it.

Oh forget yeah! JESUS FIGHT!

Noe pls don't
Every time people have religious fights on the interwebs god cuts himself