Author Topic: UECSS Ashley's Blade  (Read 4160 times)

Spacerock resistant?  That's a long, long ways off.  Have you ever seen photos of what a paint chip did to the 6-inch-thick windows on the space shuttle in 1983?
Key word.

Also becouse phasers are phased lasers, I wouldn't know the exact changes if I find anything to indicate you're right i'll apologise and admit i'm wrong.
they arent "phased lasers" at all... they are nadion particle beams. big difference mate!

feel free to read this!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Phaser
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:58:00 PM by Planr »

Rail guns and plasma cannons are where its at IMO

they arent "phased lasers" at all... they are nadion particle beams. big difference mate!

feel free to read this!

Allready did.

Background information Edit
Establishing phaser technology Edit
During The Original Series, the mechanics of phasers were never explained on screen. However as early as The Making of Star Trek, released in 1968, the technology behind phasers was explained. Phasers are, according to the book, basically lasers, but they have the beam set on a pulsating frequency that can be specifically set to interfere and interact with the wave pattern of any molecular form. This is called "phasing" the beam frequency, hence the name phaser.
According to Gene Roddenberry in The Making of Star Trek, two days into filming of the second pilot, they realized that three years later people are going to say "Oh, come on, lasers can't do that" so the term was substituted based on the idea of the phasing principle of physics, that is a way of increasing power. Apparently he was talking of using higher phase velocities (aka frequencies) of light that in turn consist of higher energy photons. These accounts suggest that the laser weapons seen in "The Cage" and phasers of the rest of the show were possibly just two different terms for the same thing.

The Spaceflight Chronology released in 1979, on page 173, offers an alternative explanation of the technology. It states that phaser weapons were in fact developed by Starfleet to combine the benefits of two previously used weapon technologies, particle-beam cannons and laser banks. While particle weapons delivered a big punch, they had trouble penetrating shields, where as lasers penetrated shielding easily, but had very little impact force to do damage. Two years after the events of "The Cage", when the problem with frequency aligning the two systems to work simultaneously in ship-mounted phasers was solved, the development of hand phasers began. This timeline for phaser development would however not be compatible with canonical accounts, as we saw ship-mounted phasers used by the USS Kelvin, in the 2009 film Star Trek, over 20 years before the events of "The Cage".

The 1991 reference book, Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, pages 123-125 explain the inner mechanisms of a phaser in more elaborate detail. Phaser is, according to the book, the acronym for phased energy rectification - named for the process of turning stored energy into an energy beam without an intermediate transformation. Energetic plasma is pumped to a prefire chamber made out of a superconducting lithium-copper. There it undergoes a rapid nadion effect in which strong nuclear forces are liberated. A protonic charge forms and is released in pulses to the emitter made out of the same superconductive crystal. A beam of elecromagnetic energy is released from it at the speed of light. On starships, energy for phasers originates from the EPS, while on hand units the charge of energetic plasma is stored into sarium-krellide. This material is used because it can't accidentally release the charge of plasma.

Dialogue in the 1991 episode TNG: "The Mind's Eye" concerning the internal mechanics of a type 3 phaser rifle confirm canonically all the elements as they were established in the Manual. However, in Star Trek, phasers have been regularly used while starships travel at warp speeds, so the beam must also be traveling at faster than light velocities. Beginning from the 1993 episode TNG: "Inheritance", instead of being labeled as EM weapons, as the reference works have stated, phasers have been consistently referred to as particle beam weapons on screen. This information was also included in the 1994 Star Trek: Voyager Technical Manual - Writer's Guide, and has been corroborated in such episodes as "Time and Again", "Memorial" and "Endgame".

Even though canonically the phaser beam was established not to be beam of pure EM energy, but a particle beam of nadions, the 1998 reference book, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual, still goes on to describe the phaser beam as an EM energy beam. According to page 84 of the Manual, a phaser beam can be delivered at warp speeds due to an annular confinement beam jacket and other advances in subspace technology. These are stated to be new inventions in the late-24th century. However, considering that first on screen uses of phasers at warp occurred as early as first season of The Original Series, this timeline for the invention would be inconsistent with canon. Furthermore, according to page 92 of the Manual, when phasers are fired by a ship with deflector shields active, the beam is frequency locked to the second-order harmonics of the shield emissions. This prevents the beam impacting on the shields and overloading them, or rebounding back at the firing ship.

It is not known what class of Federation starships was the first to use phaser array strips instead of banks, but "Yesterday's Enterprise" establishes the Ambassador-class to be the earliest known ship design to employ them in the 2340s.

I actually did read all that. Possibly misunderstood it, if you can prove me wrong go ahead. My answer was based on the ToS series.

feel free to read this!

And btw I never ever react to a comment when I didn't do any research on it. But i'm admitting that Phasers MIGHT be better.