Author Topic: I almost died this morning/last night  (Read 3205 times)

But anyway, this was sleep paralysis and basically what happened was you forced awake by something, and your body didn't have time to "unlock" your muscles. It doesn't happen often because it only occurs during REM sleep which lasts from five to fifteen minutes and will restart every forty-five minutes or so. I don't know if you had any hallucinations, but they can be very vivid and seem real, even if you know they're not.

That's not what i mean at all, The closer a human comes to waking up from a sleep the more concious and abillity to move there body they get.
Okay so, what point were you attempting to make and why were you addressing me. It's not even relevant to what I was saying.

And just to clarify this talk about sleep paralysis,

Sleep paralysis doesn't do anything to your muscles. It doesn't seize them up or prevent them from moving. It interrupts the messages sent from your voluntary motor neurons preventing you from enacting your dream in real life and potentially harming yourself (more idiot proofing basically).
Things like reflexes (which are also simply idiot proofing) still function as normal as they don't interface with the brain during action, and instinctive movements evolutionarily pre-programmed are also capable of moving your unconscious ass.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:04:34 PM by blaman »

Okay so, what point were you attempting to make and why were you addressing me. It's not even relevant to what I was saying.
The point is, He isn't broken by any means.

If I try to sleep on my face I start to freak out thinking I'm either going to suffocate or get stabbed in the back or dragged backwards into the darkness of my closet.

Sleep paralysis? I toss and turn in my sleep, how does that make me paralyzed?
I thought when you sleep your everything is more relaxed.

Sleep paralysis? I toss and turn in my sleep, how does that make me paralyzed?
I thought when you sleep your everything is more relaxed.
In order for the human body to reach deep REM sleep, It has to paralyze certain muscles in the body and thus you get the relaxed effect.

I not so sure about this one. I think this is debatable.
Well it's not really.

In order for the human body to reach deep REM sleep, It has to paralyze certain muscles in the body and thus you get the relaxed effect.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Well it's not really.
Sure i do. I'm just not explaining it the correct way, There are multiple stages of REM sleep a person get, Each stage causes a person to feel a different, These can vary between REM and none REM sleep
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:14:53 PM by blocklandiansprofile »

Happened to me a few times. Terrifying.  :panda:

Well it's not really.

Sure i do. I'm just not explaining it the correct way, There are multiple stages of REM sleep a person get, Each stage causes a person to feel a different, These can vary between REM and none REM sleep

What causes sleep paralysis? To answer this question it's necessary for you to know a bit about REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, the stage of sleep where most of your dreams occur. Every night during REM sleep the body shuts down virtually all muscle activity to prevent you from acting out those dreams. Your brain is extraordinarily active as you dream, as you might be able to imagine if you think about the complex environments and actions it is conjuring. The only thing that prevents your body from moving to carry out the scene your brain is living is a mechanism that kicks in to paralyze it.

Read more: http://www.end-your-sleep-deprivation.com/sleep-paralysis.html#ixzz291o8ktX1

Guys, really, the information I posted was accurate.

What causes sleep paralysis? To answer this question it's necessary for you to know a bit about REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, the stage of sleep where most of your dreams occur. Every night during REM sleep the body shuts down virtually all muscle activity to prevent you from acting out those dreams. Your brain is extraordinarily active as you dream, as you might be able to imagine if you think about the complex environments and actions it is conjuring. The only thing that prevents your body from moving to carry out the scene your brain is living is a mechanism that kicks in to paralyze it.

Read more: http://www.end-your-sleep-deprivation.com/sleep-paralysis.html#ixzz291o8ktX1

Guys, really, the information I posted was accurate.
Why thank you, We could really use this information to discuss this in a more helpful way.

this never happened to me  :panda:
seems like a fun experience cause you can't actually die of it

Chances are you WERE breathing, but it was just quiet and slow. You were probably just so terrified because of the paralysis that you didn't notice it.

Chances are you WERE breathing, but it was just quiet and slow. You were probably just so terrified because of the paralysis that you didn't notice it.
This, if you really weren't breathing you would have lost so much air that you passed out anyway.