Author Topic: So I started coding something in DarkBASIC  (Read 921 times)

Yeah, so my computer programming teacher can't read it. What the program does is it displays a 5x5 section of a group of lines of text. You can use the arrow keys to navigate up, down, left, and right, and when you press the keys, they would be displayed on the screen as well. The lower right coordinates are also displayed, but I'm thinking of changing them to those of the center of the view. However, what I think makes this worthwhile is that it doesn't use any sprites, it just uses text commands. This results in it looking rather poor, but at the same time I love it. At the moment I'm thinking that I'll turn it into a simple dungeon run game, but unfortunately I don't know how to do level generation.

Anyway, since it uses normal text file encoding, I just put it into txt, in case any of you guys have DarkBASIC and want to try it out. Later I'll post an exe if that's okay.

I used to use and still have DarkBASIC. The compiler doesn't work on any of my computers now, so I stopped using it.

Is there any use for this language?

I believe it was mainly created for instructional purposes but at the same time it can compile into .exe format and it sits on top of a decent 3d engine. I wouldn't have picked it out, but it was the second most advanced computer programming course my school offers.
I skipped the lower level one because it was absolutely idiotic; the entire class would have been about drag-and-drop code block programming with absolutely no practical applications. Basically less powerful and useful than Lego Mindstorms code.

Is there any use for this language?
Eh, not a whole lot. It's cheaper than torque, but still not horrible.

The only thing it could boast was how easy it was to learn, since it's based loosely off of basic.

I don't know if I have the patience or the capability to create a complex 3d game on my own though, especially since the built-in help files say absolutely nothing about how one creates the preferred environment files. There is no mentioning of modeling or managing animations.

EDIT: I've gotten character collision working (The character is simply an O)
Next up I think I'll start to move stuff into functions or figure out how I'll initialize different rooms.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:30:17 PM by Katadeus »

If you wanted to do a 3D game on Scratch, you'd have to resort to turbospeed-only algorithms to render wireframe scenes. Even then, it would be laggy, and the Squeak VM is very inefficient.

You could also use the complex Gale3D project made by a scratch community member, but that would be very hard.

If you wanted to do a 3D game on Scratch, you'd have to resort to turbospeed-only algorithms to render wireframe scenes. Even then, it would be laggy, and the Squeak VM is very inefficient.

You could also use the complex Gale3D project made by a scratch community member, but that would be very hard.

When did anybody mention Scratch?

Scratch is stuff

However, I continued this game up to 403 lines of code, and now it has the capability for decent player movement and collision, the ability to move the player smoothly from room to room through doors, and I made a function that allowed the player to read text from = signs.