Author Topic: Your approach to life  (Read 5386 times)

So apparently "normative ethics" "is the branch of philosophical ethics that investigates the set of questions that arise when considering how one ought to act, morally speaking" (Wikipedia).

There seems to be several main philosophies going around in everyone's minds; Virtue ethics, Deontology, Consequentialism, and some others.

"A virtue ethicist, however, would focus less on lying in any particular instance and instead consider what a decision to tell a lie or not tell a lie said about one's character and moral behavior. As such, lying would be made in a case-by-case basis that would be based on factors such as personal benefit, group benefit, and intentions (as to whether they are benevolent or malevolent)." (Wikipedia) I basically understand that as someone to make decisions based on how they want others to view them.

Deontology "judges the morality of an action based on the action's adherence to a rule or rules.[1] It is sometimes described as "duty" or "obligation" or "rule" -based ethics, because rules "bind you to your duty"." (Wikipedia) This seems to me someone who thinks lying is always wrong no matter what.

Consequentialism holds that "the consequences of one's conduct are the ultimate basis for any judgment about the rightness of that conduct. Thus, from a consequentialist standpoint, a morally right act (or omission) is one that will produce a good outcome, or consequence." I understand this as someone determining is lying or not would produce the outcomes they want.

There is a subset of consequentialism called "Hedonistic Utilitarianism." "This form of utilitarianism holds that what matters is the aggregate happiness; the happiness of everyone and not the happiness of any particular person" (Wikipedia) I am this I guess, and I understand this to mean my ultimate goal in life is to maximize happiness and minimize pain for the largest amount of people, not just myself.

I feel like that is the hero's perspective, one probably Gandhi and a lot of other historic people had, and am very happy I think that way ^_^

I'm just wondering how popular that is compared to the other viewpoints. Which category do you fall into?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:41:28 PM by Sunny »

i live to make myself and the people i love happy, forget everyone else.

but their happiness might include everyone's happiness so

i live to make myself and the people i love happy, forget everyone else.

but their happiness might include everyone's happiness so

You seem to have the Ethics of Care perspective http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_care

You seem to have the Ethics of Care perspective http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_care

i can't read that article because it contains too many big words

can you translate it to english for me

i try to do as much as i can in my life. i figure just wasting it away by just going to school and coming home everyday is lame and boring. i wake up and exercise somehow, go to school and exercise some more. im a very social guy and hang out with a lot of people throughout the day. i play on the football and basketball and track team. i frequent get togethers with friends and go out to parties.

i like to do stuff, to make people laugh and to go out and have fun. i dont just live my life for myself but i dont go out of my way to help everyone as much as i can.

i can't read that article because it contains too many big words

can you translate it to english for me

There is a clause that is easy to understand at the end of the first paragraph: "ethics of care emphasize the importance of relationships"

I think life is something you should spend not thinking so much about life

The OP confused me a little but I guess Im a very cynical person. Thats not to say I dont trust people, but I just simply dont expect anything from them and expect that they'll leave in the end, so I dont get too attached. I tend to be less hurt that way, I'm not even close to dependent on people which is good. Sorry is any of this relevant

I think life is something you should spend not thinking so much about life
I couldn't agree more

I would like to be remembered by people, though I have no idea how. I believe that I should do what makes me happy, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I would like to create memories with my friends and others.

"Life's not that tough. You wake up, go to work, eat three meals, take one good stuff and go back to bed."

I would like to be remembered by people, though I have no idea how. I believe that I should do what makes me happy, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I would like to create memories with my friends and others.

I agree with your sentence 100%, but think on a bigger scale. That's why I'm trying to balance my life with more personal relationships as well.

I agree with your sentence 100%, but think on a bigger scale. That's why I'm trying to balance my life with more personal relationships as well.

I also like to make people laugh, if that counts for anything.

There is a subset of consequentialism called "Hedonistic Utilitarianism." "This form of utilitarianism holds that what matters is the aggregate happiness; the happiness of everyone and not the happiness of any particular person" (Wikipedia)
While I find myself incapable of promoting this thought process on many occassions, I believe this is the most necessary "rule" anyone could ever abide by.  However, bridging a bit further into how I feel, a major issue I have is the constant need to win something.  For example, people push to win video games, they try their hardest to make it to the end without having considered the fact that the real pleasure is brought up through the gameplay itself.  You challenge your mind, or you allow yourself to explore things which you simply haven't.  Winning offers self pride, which, in turn, may lead to happiness, but that doesn't imply that it IS happiness.

The journey is what you should look forward to, not the end.

You expect pride to evolve from something which is beyond your death.  You're setting an expectation to give you a false sense of pride before death, and while it may allow you to be happy, it also displays signs of denial.  I don't believe attention is what brings happiness, and I don't believe it ever will.  I'm not trying to present a debate, but simply state my thoughts on your situation.  I'm unaware of what you want entirely.

Lovely topic, OP.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:08:51 PM by Lalam24 »

Whats my approach to life?

"forget it.. just go."