Author Topic: How to make a 3d game?  (Read 1825 times)

Howdy, I've been wanting to make games for a long time, I even bought torque when I was 13, but never tried to learn how to use it because of low effort/no tutorials that I could find. Then early this year I downloaded eclipse to learn, but gave up because I didn't know how to start from scratch. Do any of you guys know of a program that has sort of a base game that I could mod heavily? I just don't want to start from scratch. Or do you know of any good tutorials for torque?
I just want to make a simple game to mess around in like minecraft.

Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:01:29 PM by Scorch »

do you have a copy of a source game or crysis / crysis 2

Let's see, there was a site that drendran used to make his game from scratch
Lemme go find it.

you could try LOVE.
https://love2d.org/

Thanks I'll check this out :3  but I meant to say 3d game

cryengine and source sdk are both highly modable

you can also try UDK

I'd give Unity a go.

It has detailed tutorials, and you can make stuff from scratch.

I'd give Unity a go.

It has detailed tutorials, and you can make stuff from scratch.

cryengine and source sdk are both highly modable

you can also try UDK

ok thanks :}

Do you know how to model? You'll need to know a lot of that.

c++ , sdl w/ opengl
that's what drendran used, i think.

Do you know how to model? You'll need to know a lot of that.

Not really, but I could ask my bro to do some, he's been at it for years :D

I suggest you start off with 2D, learn the ropes and better understand game design, then move onto 3D when you have more knowledge under your belt.

3D game development is a whole lot more complex.

I suggest you start off with 2D, learn the ropes and better understand game design, then move onto 3D when you have more knowledge under your belt.

3D game development is a whole lot more complex.

But aren't 2d games coded in a different language?

But aren't 2d games coded in a different language?

Not necessarily. For example, Lua is used in the Love2D engine, but then it is also used by 3D games like ROBLOX, and GMod.

But indeed, I agree with the suggestion of starting with a 2D game. It's easier to work with flat space other than worrying about 3D models, and textures. It gets
the basics of making a good game into your head. Once you get the hang of it, and make a couple of complete games, you can move on to 3D games.

So starting with Love2D would be your best bet. I'm actually also learning to code as well. I can help you with the basics if you'd like.