Author Topic: The Dawn - (Blockland Roleplay)  (Read 785 times)

Edit: Oops, since I frequent off-topic so much I didn't realize that I posted this in the wrong forums. Please move this, mods.

It has been the age of stone tools for as long as anyone could remember, an age of nomads, an age where the ice is far away and melting. Our tribe has wandered the land, even in the oldest stories the elders tell. We follow the food, and our lives depend on the wildlife. Troubles have emerged. Every year it is becoming harder and harder to find food. Our people tell the children about when they were their age, that they used to have to wear thicker clothing. Changes are upon us fast, elders remember a far different time than we live now, at least than they are used to. People talk of doom, but I disagree. Rumors spread of other tribes starting to stay in one spot in the world. How is this possible, you say? I honestly don't know, but I believe that it is the way.

Welcome to The Dawn.

-Signups start now.
-At 5pm Pacific Time, we will all enter the server titled Sun's The Dawn. It will be a flat tundra filled land full of emptiness, full scale, not mini.
-You will play a character, and NOT speak out of character. Every single word typed will be in character. You will change your avatar to be appropriate to your character. Only speech and actions are allowed. Speech will be normal text, actions with a "*" before it. Actions cannot include thoughts or intentions...no mind reading here.
-If a natural resource is needed, you will build it...but remain silent as you do, not speaking of the act. If while building a natural resource you are to respond to a conversation, you will do so as if not building the natural resource.
-We will all have different ages, and families. We will get older and die...and when we do we become a new baby of a mother and father. You will be named and described by conversation in-game. All players entering the server after 5pm Pacific Time will be babies. All players leaving the server will die on the spot, unexplained until investigation. Even if you leave to rejoin, you will die and be reborn.
-Dying in-game (Self Delete or killing) will be ignored, only if a death is announced through "*" action, will it be taken seriously.
-To sign up post the name of your first character, gender, age, a short description, and ign name. Password to server is civ. We need an even ratio of males to females. Remember, when you are born as a new person, you will be named, assigned a gender by a parent or elder based on necessity, and described through conversation in-game. No descriptions will ever be explained other than through conversation, not even in actions.
-My (ign Sun) Characters (My bloodline) will be regarded as an elder no matter the age...as is our tribe's culture. However, this does not mean you can grow weary of this and have politics ensue...but remember tradition is a current you have to swim against.
-Medieval chat is on. If you see players speaking in Old English, do not attempt to copy them. Speak in normal English and it will be translated for you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:41:59 PM by Sunny »

Sounds nice, but I'm afraid that not very many people will take it seriously.
Also, don't count this as a signup.

Sounds nice, but I'm afraid that not very many people will take it seriously.
Also, don't count this as a signup.

I disagree, I have kicking and banning powers.

Wouldn't this belong in General Discussion or Community Projects?

First of all, I don't think this belongs in off topic. Second of all, this all seems very professional except you're not really giving us much to go on. Can you give a time period or something?

I disagree, I have kicking and banning powers.

Those have been abused in the past.  

Actually, I've never seen an RP server work.

First of all, I don't think this belongs in off topic. Second of all, this all seems very professional except you're not really giving us much to go on. Can you give a time period or something?
Read it, it says stone age.

I don't care if this is actually successful or not, I'm trying and having fun. It will most likely become a recurring thing, picking up where we left off with a few dedicated players.

I don't care if this is actually successful or not, I'm trying and having fun. It will most likely become a recurring thing, picking up where we left off with a few dedicated players.

It's not successful ever due to the low population that Blockland actually has.  If anybody is playing the game at all, they're either in a TDM or building by themselves. 

You only really have the option between small children and the people who come by to try to wreck the server.

It's not successful ever due to the low population that Blockland actually has.  If anybody is playing the game at all, they're either in a TDM or building by themselves. 

You only really have the option between small children and the people who come by to try to wreck the server.
This is a rather negative comment and isn't necesarry, as it's pure opinion.

Roleplay servers can get lots of players and can be popular. It is not a fact that this server will not gain players.

I personally really like the idea, and I also like the fact that you've taken to setting out proper roleplay rules.

I have a couple of niggling problems with the rules you've set out so far, but nothing major.

I personally believe you should allow OOC chat, but in the medium of, say, Team Chat.
It can be very frustrating if there is an actual server-sided problem, or administrative query/problem that someone wants to bring up, but can't due to the lack of OOC. Not everyone has RTB, and not everyone responds very well, so I wouldn't rely on it as a means of talking to the players OOC.
You'll also very much find (unless you have rules on joining) that a number of people joining the server will immediately start by typing "hello" and other such stuff, like questions about the server. Telling them there is a medium for OOC chat can be very helpful.

I'm not keen on the baby idea. I do think it is necesarry due to the setting of the roleplay and all, but I'm not sure about the whole "everyone is a baby if they join after this time" thing. It seems very much that the roleplay could go awry. You may also find you attract a number of immature roleplayers used to Family Rps and being children. A number of them like to pretend to be a child, but then constantly talk and get in the way and try to revolve the roleplay around them. Which just isn't realistic or helpful.

I think the baby thing should be allowed, but perhaps not enforced to all, and perhaps not made in such a way that everyone can be a baby/child. If you're going for a serious roleplay, it's a very difficult position for someone without much patience or common sense to fulfil.

I'm not sure on the Medieval Text Mod.
Since this is leaving the Stone Age, I don't think Medieval text quite works. I don't know what sort of changes it makes, but if it changes things to like "Doth/Thou/Verily/Thy", then it shouldn't be in there.
It's just not realistic.
I know you want actual language, but it is probably better to just stick to normal english for a mixture of both clarity and realism. Unless you want to have either an unrealistic language or an impossible to understand language.

I do however question what sort of constructions you are going to have.
I understand the point of being a nomadic tribe that is slowly settling down, but if you want realism and playability you'll need a couple of things.
As Nomads you'd likely have some equipment with you. Some form of shelter. You'd obviously not just stay in the frozen Tundra in the open overnight.
And you'd likely have some form of livestock or roaming animal you hunt/use.

You may also find that players often need a little bit of backbone to get them going.
A tent or two, or a campfire or something can really set a roleplay in motion.
If you were to start a roleplay up in a small box with nothing in it, you can't do anything. If you set a roleplay up in a big empty box, you still can't do anything in it.
You'll likely want players to slowly start building stuff, but that's going to take some push to begin with.
And if you're nomadic and wandering about, I worry how far you'll end up from spawn, and if any thing is built far away and you save, you might not find it again when you re-load.

I think the server could be quite interesting and assuming you get proper people joining you could get a very clever roleplay.

I do have those worries about some of your rules and how you'll organise the roleplay, but I do think you'll probably find some way to set it up.
Since it's nomadic, I can't really ask for pictures since it would be blank slate.

I would suggest at the moment that you edit the Title to be something like "The Dawn - (Blockland Roleplay)".
So that, since it is in Off Topic at the moment, people know what it is.
And also so that it gets picked up by a mod who can move it to General Discussion later.

It can be very frustrating if there is an actual server-sided problem, or administrative query/problem that someone wants to bring up, but can't due to the lack of OOC.

If there is a dire problem rules can be ignored. Most likely that won't happen, and I've developed the skill of enforcing rules while still following them. For example, if someone talks out of character I respond in character treating them as a madman, because they speak gibberish. Finally, I've set rules but don't expect them to be followed 100% of the time. I'll let things slide, it's up to each individual's drive to follow the rules for them to be enforced.

You'll also very much find (unless you have rules on joining) that a number of people joining the server will immediately start by typing "hello" and other such stuff, like questions about the server.

It's passworded. Only people coming from this topic know how to join.

You may also find you attract a number of immature roleplayers used to Family Rps and being children.

Again, passworded.

A number of them like to pretend to be a child, but then constantly talk and get in the way and try to revolve the roleplay around them.

If anyone tries to do anything along this sort, the roleplay will follow suit. Following suit doesn't necessarily mean actually giving this person attention. For example, we can denounce the child as an attention seeker and have our characters ignore them...just like in real life. If it gets too out of hand I just ban them.

I know you want actual language, but it is probably better to just stick to normal english for a mixture of both clarity and realism.

Normal English isn't realistic either. In order for things to be realistic we need to invent a language, but that's too impractical. I included Old English so it can help people step out of their daily lives and get in the roleplay mood. It's productive to remove people from their ego's, but unproductive to get hung up on little things like realism in this regard.

You may also find that players often need a little bit of backbone to get them going. A tent or two, or a campfire or something can really set a roleplay in motion.

I plan on starting with a campfire, us settling down for the night...and I'll tell stories that start the civilization adventure.

Name: Urman
Description: Urman is part of the ageless elder bloodline. He has a low, slightly rumbling voice, cut beard, and smirks mysteriously a lot. On him he has a stone hand-axe, small stone knife, fur sleeping bag, leather and fur clothes, a thick fur hat that covers his ears, and a medium bag filled with food. He has a tamed dog as a pet and hunting partner.
Ign Name: Sun
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:08:31 PM by Sunny »

We should have a female character next. If you blatantly ignore this and create a male character, I will change my character to female.