On bad admins and admin gimping:

Author Topic: On bad admins and admin gimping:  (Read 1996 times)

With help of a client side mod.

Which any serious scripted RPG should use.

i prefer using /commands. its so much easier!

i would like to see shapenames for bots though.

i prefer using /commands. its so much easier!

Not sure if serious.

It's a lot harder to make a client sided mod for your server. If you choose the easy way, it'll be a lot harder for users to really interact with the server. Nobody likes trying to remember thousands of stuffty "/" commands, lol.

I find it hard to describe my position on this. Consider a modder who makes a targeted slash command usable by admins that will, every minute, kill the person in question while calling servercmdmessagesent(%client, "im a friend lol");. In a case like this, there isn't a situation where this would be useful nor a case where using it wouldn't be abusive, so I think some blame should go to the modder when forgetwit McCuntface gets it before it goes to the fail bin and torments people on his server with it.

On the other hand, you have the basic functions like kick, ban, clear bricks, and others like mute that definitely have reasonable uses, and when our friend McCuntface has a field day with him, he is totally at fault, because people like him can't be helped, and you shouldn't be stifling an admin's tools that might benefit servers because a few people can't use them properly.

The strange part is some middle-ground, force kill, teleporting people to jail in RPGs, maybe blinding them (actually half the commands in SourceMod as seen in TF2 are good examples). These are commands where you can imagine situations where it would be useful, but when anybody hears about them the first thing that comes in their mind is what forgetwit McCuntface would do with it. My concern is that giving people tools like this will cause them to inadvertently start looking for excuses to use it. While you could argue that a good admin would suppress these urges, would a good admin really need questionably useful tools like these in the first place?

I find it hard to describe my position on this. Consider a modder who makes a targeted slash command usable by admins that will, every minute, kill the person in question while calling servercmdmessagesent(%client, "im a friend lol");. In a case like this, there isn't a situation where this would be useful nor a case where using it wouldn't be abusive, so I think some blame should go to the modder when forgetwit McCuntface gets it before it goes to the fail bin and torments people on his server with it.
Pretty sure this is obvious. We're talking about people saying we shouldn't have useful commands because of 'abuse'.

The strange part is some middle-ground, force kill, teleporting people to jail in RPGs, maybe blinding them (actually half the commands in SourceMod as seen in TF2 are good examples). These are commands where you can imagine situations where it would be useful, but when anybody hears about them the first thing that comes in their mind is what forgetwit McCuntface would do with it. My concern is that giving people tools like this will cause them to inadvertently start looking for excuses to use it. While you could argue that a good admin would suppress these urges, would a good admin really need questionably useful tools like these in the first place?
I think the name of the commands are usually what tempts people to become badmin with them.
For example, forcekill shouldn't be called slap. It should be called forcekill. Because slaps are funny. Being an admin is serious.

I think the name of the commands are usually what tempts people to become badmin with them.
For example, forcekill shouldn't be called slap. It should be called forcekill. Because slaps are funny. Being an admin is serious.
Good for filtering out the badmins ahead of time.

Good for filtering out the badmins ahead of time.
I would use a slap command on someone, but not a forcekill command.

CityRP's are fairly good
but it's the survival of the fittest
so many ain't be surviving long
(coughIsarlandcough)

Pretty sure this is obvious. We're talking about people saying we shouldn't have useful commands because of 'abuse'.
Of course the extremes are obvious, my point is that many commands that people say will be abused if made fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, rather than on the other end where the command is certainly useful and no blame falls to the modder. The question is whether these questionably useful abuse-tempting commands should be made.

I would use a slap command on someone, but not a forcekill command.

I can relate to this.