Poll

Yo.

dog1
0 (0%)
dog2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Open-world space western project (WIP)  (Read 4881 times)

Post apocalyptic space western world. 100000/10.

I filled in a form regarding procedural content generation, space ships and AIs.

Stranded + Sky-Ship Pirates

Or, just Sky-Ship pirates if not stranded.

On the question regarding player deaths and their items: what if when a player died their inventory is dropped as a single backpack item? If the player returns to that location they can regain all of their lost stuff. However if too much time passes then the backpack becomes available for everyone to pickup. And if too much time passes after that, then the backpack disappears forever.

If there was special legendary loot in game, I would sure hate to totally lose it from an accidental death. But if I never lost anything on death, then I wouldn't fear my character dying. That would result in me doing kamikaze rushes against hard enemies, instead of building up or grouping with others.

On the question regarding player deaths and their items: what if when a player died their inventory is dropped as a single backpack item? If the player returns to that location they can regain all of their lost stuff. However if too much time passes then the backpack becomes available for everyone to pickup. And if too much time passes after that, then the backpack disappears forever.
It's a decent idea, would have to ensure that people can't build over it so that starfishs can't troll

It's a decent idea, would have to ensure that people can't build over it so that starfishs can't troll
yeah, or douchebags bringing people into a secluded area to kill them, then blocking the entrance to wait for the pickup timer.

It really depends on how building and pvp would work.

If building was only allowed in special safe areas, then we dont have to worry about it. But it is quite alluring about having the ability to build things freely all around the world.

Or if there was no open pvp then players wont have to worry about others murdering everyone for their stuff. But then you can't do much to those who really piss you off by standing in doorways.

yeah, or douchebags bringing people into a secluded area to kill them, then blocking the entrance to wait for the pickup timer.

It really depends on how building and pvp would work.

If building was only allowed in special safe areas, then we dont have to worry about it. But it is quite alluring about having the ability to build things freely all around the world.

Or if there was no open pvp then players wont have to worry about others murdering everyone for their stuff. But then you can't do much to those who really piss you off by standing in doorways.
I was leaning towards no open-pvp
In the google response doc I suggested an arena/duel system, but no killing outside of that. Maybe a small amount of click-push

I finished my new computer last night, but I have no way of connecting it to the internet - and Ubuntu is stuck in low graphics mode.

I'm still mulling over methods for implementing building.

I think that there should be some way for players to earn building rights. I don't want it to be too long or too complex of a process - everyone who wants to should be able to, but in one way or another it needs to be limited. My current idea is something along the lines of "building kits", which are essentially pre-selected carts. Think something along the lines of "Camp Building Kits", "Fortification Building Kits", "Complete Building Kits", ETC. Amins could distribute them, or player-run stores. Doubt it's possible. Could just be replaced by single bricks and work like scavenge.

The most complex script I've ever made was a chat-based help menu. The more complex things get, the more help I'll need.

I hate futuristic stuff. I hope it doesn't turn out like the "Cowboys and Aliens" movie which was a complete waste of time to watch.

When you say Space western. Do you only mean like a western sort of, wild/outlaw, society or the classic wild west in specific. Architecture, saloons, hats and everything.

I hate futuristic stuff. I hope it doesn't turn out like the "Cowboys and Aliens" movie which was a complete waste of time to watch.

When you say Space western. Do you only mean like a western sort of, wild/outlaw, society or the classic wild west in specific. Architecture, saloons, hats and everything.
Space western makes me think of Red Steel 2, that was a great setting

I hated that movie just as much as you did. Believe me, it's not one of my sources of inspiration. ;)

Breaking it down, I would say that it's the environment and the atmosphere of the world. The wild is an uncharted, mysterious place of criminals and bandits. Civilization behaves in a similar manner to how they did.

To elaborate on how the setting is coming together in my head: Somewhere not so far in the future, an alien world shatters. The occupants survive, but technology has declined to a point preceding that of the 20th century. The game takes place between a chain of floating islands and the much larger continent they drift above. One island boasts the ruins of a city, where horses and hang gliders are the main forms of transportation. For a sense of the architecture, refer to that PM I sent you awhile back. Imagine something like that in ruins, combined with whatever materials they had at hand after the "incident", reflecting a west feel as much as I can. The rest of the world is home to bandits, pirates, mutant space prairie dogs, ETC - scattered between the "lowerworld" and the islands.

I'm still completely open to criticism.

I hated that movie just as much as you did. Believe me, it's not one of my sources of inspiration. ;)
Breaking it down, I would say that it's the environment and the atmosphere of the world. The wild is an uncharted, mysterious place of criminals and bandits. Civilization behaves in a similar manner to how they did.

-stuff-

I'm still completely open to criticism.
I think there should be some kind of motorized flying vehicle, Even it it is small and hard to make. Unless the Gliders can somehow pick up wind and you can fly long distances.

bump for a great project.