Author Topic: Any brick making guides?  (Read 2571 times)

Ive tried searching but I couldn't find any.

This is a command line utility that will convert an .obj file to a .blb file. 

You can name the different objects within the obj file for certain effects:
Object Name     Effect
COLOR_255_255_255_255   Color will be the provided RGBA value (regardless of paint color)
COLOR_255_255_255   Color will be the provided RGB value (alpha will default to 255)
SUBCOLOR_20_20_20   Color will be the paint color minus provided RGB value
ADDCOLOR_20_20_20   Color will be the paint color plus provided RGB value
BOUNDS   Bounding box, determines size and centering of blb.  If no BOUNDS object is provided, the bounds of the entire shape will be used. 
COLLISION   Collision box, in game collision.  Anything that starts with the word "COLLISION" will be considered a collision box (so COLLISION1, COLLISION2, etc will work).  Collision boxes are boxes.  Complex shapes will be reduced to their bounding box.  Maximum of 10 collision boxes per blb.

Maximum of 512 quads per blb.
Triangles can be used, but they will be represented by quads.
There is currently no mechanism for texturing.

Objects should be exported as obj groups.
You need 3 models and you export them all into 1 OBJ file.
1. BOUNDS
2. COLLISION1
3. WhateverYou feel like_naming THE MESH
You just select all the models and export.

The collision box must be completely inside the BOUNDS mesh.

Visual mesh is irrelevant. Be sure that your BOUNDS mesh is aligned to the brick grid, not the visual model.

Edit: Only cuboid collision meshes are supported. I guess ramps need DTS collision.

I picked through some topics and found the above info. Should be enough to figure things out if you're modeling your bricks in blender 2.6+

This is a command line utility that will convert an .obj file to a .blb file. 

You can name the different objects within the obj file for certain effects:
Object Name     Effect
COLOR_255_255_255_255   Color will be the provided RGBA value (regardless of paint color)
COLOR_255_255_255   Color will be the provided RGB value (alpha will default to 255)
SUBCOLOR_20_20_20   Color will be the paint color minus provided RGB value
ADDCOLOR_20_20_20   Color will be the paint color plus provided RGB value
BOUNDS   Bounding box, determines size and centering of blb.  If no BOUNDS object is provided, the bounds of the entire shape will be used. 
COLLISION   Collision box, in game collision.  Anything that starts with the word "COLLISION" will be considered a collision box (so COLLISION1, COLLISION2, etc will work).  Collision boxes are boxes.  Complex shapes will be reduced to their bounding box.  Maximum of 10 collision boxes per blb.

Maximum of 512 quads per blb.
Triangles can be used, but they will be represented by quads.
There is currently no mechanism for texturing.

Objects should be exported as obj groups.
You need 3 models and you export them all into 1 OBJ file.
1. BOUNDS
2. COLLISION1
3. WhateverYou feel like_naming THE MESH
You just select all the models and export.

The collision box must be completely inside the BOUNDS mesh.

Visual mesh is irrelevant. Be sure that your BOUNDS mesh is aligned to the brick grid, not the visual model.

Edit: Only cuboid collision meshes are supported. I guess ramps need DTS collision.

I picked through some topics and found the above info. Should be enough to figure things out if you're modeling your bricks in blender 2.6+

Would the BOUNDS obj be a cube?

http://i.imgur.com/hpH6aAy.png
Original post: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=212312.msg5984290#msg5984290

Should be enough to figure things out if you're modeling your bricks in blender 2.6+
Blender 2.5 was the major overhaul and any updates after that have not changed the interface in a any meaningful way.

Would the BOUNDS obj be a cube?
As long as it has 6 quads in a cuboid shape it will work.