Author Topic: need a free antivirus  (Read 1139 times)

MSE
Or if you have windows 8. Its built in nothing to do.

If windows is genuine and activated, use Microsoft Security Essentials.

If not, use AVG or Avast.

Whatever you do, don't install McAfee AV.

If windows is genuine and activated
It doesn't matter if you've got a genuine copy of Windows XP, it doesn't check. As long as Windows is activated, it should work.

It doesn't matter if you've got a genuine copy of Windows XP, it doesn't check. As long as Windows is activated, it should work.
True with XP,
but with Win7 it checks to see if windows is genuine and activated during the install.

If windows is genuine and activated, use Microsoft Security Essentials.

If not, use AVG or Avast.

Whatever you do, don't install McAfee AV.
ogod i had mcafee for like 4 years and dreaded it compared to MSE

I always use Windows Firewall, and AVG Free. Don't install multiple antivirus software or they will conflict and cause all sorts of problems.

I have all Microsoft security disabled and no antivirus running at any time, unless I want to do a checkup with MalewareBytes. It never turns up anything.

I don't even know what sort of websites you guys visit to get viruses.

The above poster is a moron.

I'm sorry, but it's 2012. If you're capable of getting a virus at this point you're incompetent. All modern browsers run off rigid security protocols that prevent remote sites from firing off stuff on your computer, and unless you're downloading random executables (probably "games" you're too poor to own legally), you won't get a virus.

The rules of the game are simple:
1. Don't run random programs you don't trust.

Bam, you've just saved yourself a lot of computer problems for the rest of your life.

You're forgetting that Java has way too many exploits to run these applications without you knowing. Why should upload sites like dropbox or et cetera be blocked simply because a few users uploaded a Java executable that runs an application through an exploit? Why should I get rid of Java overall because of these?

Frontier doesn't know stuff about viruses, how they work, or how they're spread.

Plus, I don't think he realizes that Malwarebytes doesn't detect all viruses. I could name you five crypters it doesn't detect.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:53:52 PM by Darkness ZXW »

If you change your mind and want a virus, just give me a call and i'll come to you.

MY 69TH POST EVERYONE!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:51:24 PM by Tonkka² »

NoScript / adBlocker with AVG anti-virus free edition and if you want extra protection just check all your downloads, webpage visits, etc in a VM, that's what I do with high-risk items of importance.

http://www.techspot.com/news/50945-microsoft-security-essentials-bombs-tests-loses-av-test-certificate.html
:/

lol.

I haven't gotten a virus in years and it's not because of websites I visit. I was going to say I don't have Java installed, but I do, so that's not it.

What I'm getting from your responses is that you're very upset you've fallen to extremely obvious tricks and your own gullibility is causing you distress. Don't take it out on me.

Nobody even answered my original question and went straight to calling me an idiot. To reiterate, "What sort of websites are you visiting to get viruses?" (or more broadly, "what are you doing in general?").

I understand how viruses spread, which is why I'm not getting any. Either I'm the luckiest person to use a computer, or I simply know what I'm doing and you don't, which is why you need to be babysat by software aiming to idiot proof the Internet. The laws of probability would hint at the latter.

(P.S. If Java is really such a security liability that you have to constantly clean up after it, just bite the bullet and uninstall Minecraft. There's not much else to say about that. If you're exposing yourself to a constant security threat to play a game, you're an idiot.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:58:08 PM by Frontier Psychiatrist »