Fire Department Shenanagins

Author Topic: Fire Department Shenanagins  (Read 771 times)

Today at school we were in gym class, and smoke/powder stuff started pouring under the door, ~10 seconds later the fire alarm went off. We all evacuated and some fire trucks came, turns out some poor sap accidentally knocked a fire extinguisher off it's hook and it went kerplooey and its contents basically filled up the whole foyer with weird powder smoke.

The irony here is sickening.

Tyler got in the way of my picture, but whatever.

EDIT: I'm also hardcore, cuz I breathed some of the stuff in. It burnt in my nose. I had my ipod in my pocket and should've taken a picture of all the smoke pouring into the gym.

EDIT:EDIT: It should also be noted a third firetruck came by, saw the school wasn't burning and just turned and went away. It is good to know however, in ~3 minutes there were 3 firetrucks, one SUV and like ~15 fire fighters at the school.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:42:41 PM by SpitFir3Tornado »

The irony here is sickening.
Where's the irony :I
EDIT: nevermind, I just used my head for a second

Tyler got in the way of my picture, but whatever.
Yeah, sorry about that.

Our school actually had a fire once, was pretty cool.

this is the best our school has ever had

2nd Grade... God my school should never bake crayons in a microwave

That weird powder smoke is dry chemical used for pretty much any fire

EDIT: reading your other comment it looks like a 1 alarm fire which usually means about 20-30 firefighters were on scene and at least 1 chief.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:29:26 PM by Ben Grapevine »

Tyler looks like a fat forget.

2nd Grade... God my school should never bake crayons in a microwave
I forget the details, it was a few years back, but the one we had was caused by some wiring under the floor which set a carpet on fire :D

The powder contained in fire extinguishers, while not recommended purposely breathing it in, is generally harmless in the long run. Due to being a fire suppressant chemical it obviously will have some effects, such as the burning sensation you experienced, but no harm should have been caused. Unless of course you are still having any types of breathing troubles, if so you may want to hit the emergency room.

The fire alarms were most likely automatically set off by the dust-like chemical coming from the extinguisher. Most modern day fire alarms check for a variety of things such as smoke, heat, carbon monoxide, and potentially dangerous levels of particles in the air which is probably what set this alarm off. No matter what when an alarm is sounded it transmits immediately to the first on-call fire station which will send over a few trucks to check out the situation. These first responders will either call a code 4, which means no further assistance is needed (you seeing the third fire truck called off) or call in additional units needed to control the emergency.

Obviously with the school evacuated and the cause completely controlable and putting no students in harm, no further fire units were needed and the situation was easily controlled.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:40:36 AM by Destroyer »