Author Topic: CryEngine 3 or Unreal Engine 3?  (Read 1958 times)

So I've been getting decently good at making games with

Game Maker Studio

and NeoAxis, I want to take a step up.

NeoAxis has decent modern graphics and Cry Engine 3 / Unreal Engine 3 are like 1 step closer to heaven.

I already have Cry Engine 3 (It's a tad bit laggy on here) I'm downloading Unreal Engine 3, which one is better. and which one has more Default stuff for me to test off of?

Cry Engine has more default stuff, but if you have the cash, buy a few unreal engine games. (Mass Effects, Gears of War, Bioshock, Borderlands, Dishonoured) as it has better physics and such, but without the games it's lacking.

Also, Unreal Engine 4 is coming out soon, so ya.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:25:46 PM by SpitFir3Tornado »

but without the games it's lacking.

That's because you're meant to make your own content for it. It is not gmod.

Anyways, I say go for Unreal Engine.

Yeah, Unreal engine seems more promising.

But the thing is I need something to work off of (like a jeep that's default or something) so I can rip stuff from that and slowly put together my own stuff.

That's what I did with NeoAxis, but NeoAxis

1. Is not fully optimized

2. Not really known and is slow at fixing bugs

3. Doesn't have all what I need Graphic wise.

Right now I'm trying to make better graphics rather than good gameplay.

I've got Gameplay down for now. but yeah

ALSO

if you guys have any other game engines (besides Torque) and that are good Graphically wise and fairly easy to use (By that I mean no massive coding things)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:35:01 PM by Cookiez664 »

Cry Engine has more default stuff, but if you have the cash, buy a few unreal engine games. (Mass Effects, Gears of War, Bioshock, Borderlands, Dishonoured) as it has better physics and such, but without the games it's lacking.

Also, Unreal Engine 4 is coming out soon, so ya.

BioShock's engine is heavily modified.

Unreal Engine 3 is a few years old well CryEngine 3 is just coming out.

Edit: I failed miserably at reading the topic.

Although the CryEngine 3 editor is incredible I would personally still learn UE3 because it will help you learn UE4 when it comes out and I prefer UE3 over Cryengine 3.

Or better yet just learn both.

Fun image live in the CryEngine 3 editor.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:13:45 PM by Soukuw »

That boat looks handicapped.

That boat looks handicapped.
It can't help but live with its prolonged birth defect. It's not like EVERY ROW BOAT HAS TO BE A GENIUS

It can't help but live with its prolonged birth defect. It's not like EVERY ROW BOAT HAS TO BE A GENIUS
Oh god i am laughing so hard now. :P

Is there any way to turn off the gay blur on CR3?

Cry Engine automatically blurs gay love? Couldn't they get sued for that, if it doesn't apply to other kinds?

Oh you guys, you should stop it or my sides will hurt. :D

I personally like Unity, but that's just me. It's multi platform, so you can supposedly export a game for a website, mac, PC, iPhone(iPod touch, iPad), and android all with minimal changes. I just like the ease of use and the nice support they have for importing files. Like, to import a Blender model, all you have to do is have the .blend in the Unity project folder. Whenever you save Unity will automatically export and import it for you. It's pretty awesome. The only thing is that I've been having some problems with Blender.(I submitted a bug, and I believe they're fixing it.)