Author Topic: Various Environments per server  (Read 1008 times)

It would be nice if there was a setEnvironment function. Basically, it would allow clients to see different things. This would be useful for a variety of situations, like night vision goggles and zone events. If I want to make a bunch of themed islands, like a winter island and summer island, this would allow me to set environments on the client depending on where they are. This would also allow for caves to become dark as you enter them.

This would not cause lag for the server, as it would only be sending info for the client to render. It would not lag for the client either, as they would just be switching what they would be seeing. they would NOT be seeing 2 environments at once.

With the function, you would define what would be sent and it would just send new info using the same function it does to send current server environment settings. With support for environment favorites/saving, you could make functions/events that would work like:
onPlayerEnterZone - Client - setEnvironment 0-9
where you can create multiple environments and save them to be sent.

If the transition from one environment to the next was smooth, this could be really cool.

So Environment Zones. Awesome.

If the transition from one environment to the next was smooth, this could be really cool.

this

i think it should kind of fade between, that'd be cool.

So Environment Zones. Awesome.
it could be used for much more too, like beast mode vision or poison effects.

I'd love to see this.

i think it should kind of fade between, that'd be cool.
Maybe a flash. Sounds more practical.

Haha, that's just great. I really need this.

I am making a TDM where one of the teams come out from a dark tunnel. My first thought was to have dark shadows.. but I didn't want every shadowed places of my build to have such dark shadows.

Someone should really make this.

You mean like when you first go into the Corruption in terraria, the map backround becomes dark and spooky?

You mean like when you first go into the Corruption in terraria, the map backround becomes dark and spooky?
That's not really a great comparison, but something like that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:21:01 PM by End »

That's not really a great comparison, but something like that.

A better example is Minecraft, the sky changes hues depending on what biome you are in, various weather patterns, caves...

A better example is Minecraft, the sky changes hues depending on what biome you are in, various weather patterns, caves...
Yeah. The important part is that one player will be able to see an environment that another does not at the same moment.

Bump for everlasting hope.