Author Topic: RTB Dedicated Hosting Service - Service Closing  (Read 256986 times)

Self Delete on my part, but uh

I don't mind IE.
Non web developers have no reason to hate IE. IE9 is fairly pretty imo, if I was the average computer user I'd probably use it. The reason web developers hate IE is because it is constantly behind on web standards, so supporting it makes our lives incredibly difficult. 6% of the world still uses IE6, a further 4% use IE7, and 24% use IE8. That totals 34% of web traffic using browsers that don't support current web standards, just from IE. That's compared to 10% that use IE9, the only IE with acceptable web standard coverage. On the other hand, Google Chrome and Firefox both support all current webstandards and continue to update frequently to improve quality of coverage.

An important service notification has just gone out to clients on NY02 via email, for reference it is quoted below:

Hello,

You are receiving this email because you have a RTB dedicated Blockland server on our NY02 hosting node. After performing some research into player location and network routing, we have made a decision to reassign this physical server with a new IP address to slightly improve service quality. This will happen tomorrow morning and will require a restart of the server. Before restarting, all servers will automatically save bricks via the autosaver but please ensure you have manually saved to avoid any possible loss of builds.

The restart will happen on the 10th January at 7.30am UTC/2.30am EST/9th January at 11.30pm PST.

This change won't require any changes on your behalf as the ny02.returntoblockland.com domain name has been pointed to the new IP, but for reference the new IP address is 209.159.159.162.

Thank you

An important service notification has just gone out to clients on NY02 via email, for reference it is quoted below:
When do we get an environment save system? That's the only thing that's complicating the restart process for us - having to go on the server anyway to configure it.

After our next update (aiming for the end of this week) I'll be looking into more advanced management options such as quota changing, music management and the environment settings you've just mentioned.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions about how you think it should work? I'm on the fence in terms of deciding whether we need a full blown saving system or whether it can be a button to save the current environment as the default to be applied on boot.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions about how you think it should work? I'm on the fence in terms of deciding whether we need a full blown saving system or whether it can be a button to save the current environment as the default to be applied on boot.
The most basic approach would probably be to have a checkbox in the configuration to autosave and load the environment. It could be saved whenever the autosaver normally triggers, then loaded whenever it restarts, effectively meaning restarting just doesn't clear the environment settings. The deciding bit here would mainly be people who frequently repurpose their server, occasionally jumping back and forth between gamemodes. I think the basic approach would work for a start, however, by leaving the functions to save, export, and load environment settings easily accessible, someone might take them and expand them into a more advanced system, or even something simple but easy to use like the usual numbered favorites buttons. If that happens, you could add in some support for things like environment file uploads on your end, but that's really dependent on demand for such a thing.

Just nabbed a server. Thanks, RTB.

Just nabbed a server. Thanks, RTB.

Our pleasure! I hope it does everything you need it to and you enjoy using it. If you've got any suggestions for improvements please let us know.

Would there be a way to make the fee non re-occurring?

No - the servers we pay for cost money every month so we have to charge money every month. That's less of a suggestion and more of a "can we have it for free" kind of thing.

Unless he meant a fixed-term period, like pay once for x months kinda thing.

After our next update (aiming for the end of this week) I'll be looking into more advanced management options such as quota changing, music management and the environment settings you've just mentioned.

The latter would suffice for me and it would be greatly appreciated.

Unless he meant a fixed-term period, like pay once for x months kinda thing.
This, because I have a Visa GiftCard that cannot use re occurring fees

I'm sure you they would accept all of the card's money and apply it to a server accordingly.

All the payments are one-time so you can pay $15 for 3 months now, and then pay another $15 in 3 months time.

I hate to advertise my own mod, but I did release a mod that allows you to save environment favorites that you can use until the next update.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=204219.0