Lego Mindstorms NXT | RacerCuber v1.1 - [Video!]

Author Topic: Lego Mindstorms NXT | RacerCuber v1.1 - [Video!]  (Read 3564 times)

Overview

This project, started about a month ago, is about building a LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 Robot that can solve a 2x2 Rubik's Cube. After watching many videos of other 3x3 Solvers, I was inspired to make a 2x2 Solver, using the Ortega Method.

Currently, all the robot is capable of is scanning the entire cube and displaying the corresponding color values of all 24 sides on the NXT display (screen). The NXT Intelligent Brick's display will be a major feature of this robot. While the program is running, the NXT display will be able to show a live timer, the number of steps used, the algorithms used, and much more. The Touch Sensor is used as an emergency Stop button, pressing it while the program is running will immediately stop the program. The reason I needed to buy a HiTechnic Color Sensor is because the stock color sensor can only detect 6 colors, none of which are orange. My only fear about this project is mainly, the amount of storage the NXT brick is capable of. While testing before, the code was starting to get quite messy, but I tried it anyway. Sure enough, it went over the maximum data storage amount (100kb), with no other programs / necessary data on it. I cleaned it up and it's working fine now.

Project Deadline: End of January

Parts

This NXT Robot uses:
     1 - NXT Intelligent Brick
     3 - Interactive Servo Motors
     1 - Touch Sensor
     1 - HiTechnic Color Sensor
     1 - NXT Rechargeable Battery Pack

Updates

• v1.0 - 12/9/12: First version tested
  • v1.1 - 12/9/12: - Added HiTechnic Sensor and increased "cube-flipping" reliability

Pictures

Version 1.0

Version 1.1

Click on the pictures to enlarge them or view the album.
I apologize for blurry pictures, I will take better ones as the project comes along.

Videos

Leave feedback! Feel free to share your questions / comments below!

I will try to update this topic as often as possible with up-to-date progress.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:13:13 PM by Racerboy »

that's actually really cool.

NEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDDDD

I remember you showing me something like this. Sounds cool.

Arrgh
I just had an idea for how to align it correctly each time, but it's too complicated for me to explain.
I'll try anyway.
It would involve engaging and disengaging a gear that was attached to a beam that was limited to a certain amount of rotation that corresponded to the amount of rotation necessary to make a 90 degree turn on the larger gear, and was spring-loaded to move back to its original position every time it disengaged.

Arrgh
I just had an idea for how to align it correctly each time, but it's too complicated for me to explain.
I'll try anyway.
It would involve engaging and disengaging a gear that was attached to a beam that was limited to a certain amount of rotation that corresponded to the amount of rotation necessary to make a 90 degree turn on the larger gear, and was spring-loaded to move back to its original position every time it disengaged.
I get what you're saying, kind of like a mechanical way of having the black turntable mesh with a gear, winding up a spring and causing more and more resistance until it stopped at exactly 90 degrees (?)

I'm thinking that there has to be a more simpler way with editing the code. Right now, I have it so it moves exactly 90 degrees with no counter or anything to check if it's accurate. Instead, I could have it move at "unlimited" until it reached the 90 degree mark and stop, would that be more accurate?

I get what you're saying, kind of like a mechanical way of having the black turntable mesh with a gear, winding up a spring and causing more and more resistance until it stopped at exactly 90 degrees (?)
That's not it at all.
I'm horrible at explaining things.

Make one that solves a 7x7.  It takes me like 40 minutes to solve mines.

What brand 2x2 is that?

It kind of looks like a LanLan, but it's not, because it has an orange side

Make one that solves a 7x7.  It takes me like 40 minutes to solve mines.

That would be very difficult, expecially because he would need to use a Shengshou, as that is the best quality one that is cubic instead of pillowed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:17:32 PM by TheKhoz »

What brand 2x2 is that?

It kind of looks like a LanLan, but it's not, because it has an orange side
Ghost Hand 2x2, I'm going to switch to a WitTwo Type C as soon as it arrives. (the logo sticker can be taken off without taking the actual yellow sticker off the cube)

that's so awesome

Make one that solves a 7x7.  It takes me like 40 minutes to solve mines.
Hah, there's loads of YouTube videos of NXT robots solving cubes up to I think a 5x5x5. I can't even solve a 3x3, my friend showed me his 2x2 and I was hooked.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:45:18 PM by Racerboy »

absolutely disgusting

Looks pretty awesome, I have no clue how robots work but good luck ;)

HiTechnic Color Sensor came today, I'll post a full update tomorrow (Pictures and Video, hopefully better quality)!