WBC Hate Group Petition

Author Topic: WBC Hate Group Petition  (Read 5207 times)

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/legally-recognize-westboro-baptist-church-hate-group/DYf3pH2d?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

I don't know if this has been posted here.  Probably has.  Still, I want to see this petition grow.  For those of you under a rock, Westboro is picketing the kids who were killed in Connecticut.  This petition is to classify them as a hate group.

SIGNATURES NEEDED: 0

the literacy

>implying petitions, especially ones on the official whitehouse site, do anything ever
you watch, they won't do jack stuff about this when it gets enough signatures

What happens if it DOES become a hate group?

Haters gonna hate.

then it becomes a federal crime
http://www.crimemuseum.org/library/hateCrime/punishmentForHateCrimes.html

Edit: important cut from that-
Any type of crime can warrant some form of punishment, from fines and short prison stays for misdemeanors to long term imprisonment for felonies. Once it has been determined that a suspect willfully committed an offense, proof must be given that indicates the deed was motivated by a particular bias against a specific characteristic in order to show that it was also a hate crime. When this can be proven, the severity of the crime automatically increases. Any punishment that would have been given out for a wrong doing also will increase if it is shown to have been driven by hatred.

Second edit:
SIGNATURES NEEDED: 0

the literacy
It requires 0 because they've already met the goal. They NEEDED 25,000, they HAVE 55k+. They're set. Now, they can up the goal and what-not, but either way they don't NEED more votes.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:23:48 PM by AdinX »

A crime to do what?
Wouldn't protesting still be okay, since it's already not a crime?

Even so, they could probably regroup or find some other loophole.
I mean the guy is a loving lawyer, i'm sure he's got some kind of plan.

lots of you are against freedom of speech i see.

even insane hateful people have the right. they havnt broken any laws.

who are you to suggest they have less rights just because you disagree with them? that is the core of what it protected.

Ignore them and stop offering them your attention.

1.)A crime to do what?
Wouldn't protesting still be okay, since it's already not a crime?

2.)Even so, they could probably regroup or find some other loophole.
I mean the guy is a loving lawyer, i'm sure he's got some kind of plan.

1.) This is a quote from Wikipedia
A hate group is an organized group or movement that advocates and practices hatred, hostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, loveual orientation or other designated sector of society.
They fit under that category. Now, your referencing the whole "right to peacefully protest, free speech" etc. They aren't PEACEFULLY protesting. They hold up picket signs that say things along the lines of "GOD HATES cigaretteS" and they stand outside the funerals of these types of things.

These are children. Who died. Children who hadn't done anything wrong. At all. And they think that they're a sacrifice because Conn allows gay marriage? That's SLAUGHTER. Not sacrifice.

2.) True. They could.
While their all in jail, locked away.

What they DO in the past can still be held against them, and they can go to jail for that, as well as the intent-to-do-so. Just because the head-honcho is a lawyer, doesn't mean he's a GOOD lawyer. Would a good lawyer title his website www.godhatescigarettes.com/?

Also, let's throw in his crime history;
United States
In 1994, Phelps was convicted for disorderly conduct for verbal harassment, and received two suspended 30-day jail sentences.[16][32] "
Phelps' 1995 conviction for assault and battery carried a five-year prison sentence, with a mandatory 18 months to be served before he became eligible for parole. Phelps fought to be allowed to remain free until his appeals process went through. Days away from being arrested and sent to prison, a judge ruled that Phelps had been denied a speedy trial and that he was not required to serve any time.[16][32]
United Kingdom
On February 18, 2009, two days before the Westboro Baptist Church's first UK picket, the UK Home Office announced that Fred Phelps and Shirley Phelps-Roper would be refused entry and that "other church members could also be flagged and stopped if they tried to enter Britain".[39] In May 2009, he and his daughter Shirley were placed on the Home Office's "name and shame" list of people barred from entering the UK for "fostering hatred which might lead to inter-community violence".[40]

Stop paying attention to them, holy hell.

Hate group or not, they didn't directly break any laws. I believe the kool kids klub in some ways can be considered a hate group.

Stop paying attention to them, holy hell.
Ignore them and stop offering them your attention.

So if your mother and father were brutally murdered in front of you, shot point blank multiple times, heads slowly removed, given meds to keep them awake or anything as equally horrifying, i'm sure you'd be quiet too.

Kay.

lots of you are against freedom of speech i see.

even insane hateful people have the right. they havnt broken any laws.

who are you to suggest they have less rights just because you disagree with them? that is the core of what it protected.

This isn't freedom of speech. Freedom of speech can be limited.

They aren't PEACEFULLY protesting. They hold up picket signs that say things along the lines of "GOD HATES cigaretteS" and they stand outside the funerals of these types of things.

that is peaceful protesting...