Author Topic: I have to give a huge speech.  (Read 1495 times)

I fail to understand why you 2-3 people say he should have eye contact
It's impossible
There are 1,200 people there
Glancing at a person, sure, but in a group that large it should be the general direction. Take the presidential debate for example; Obama is looking directly at a camera, sure, but he is looking at the general direction of his audience, making it seem like he was looking at YOU.

He should make make eye contact, lol.

He should make make eye contact, lol.
But not if it makes him nervous. And, if you do it, you're not supposed to do it very often, and only for brief moments, so the audience members don't think you're staring at them.

Larger speakers normally look at either an object in the far background, or a the very back row that they can see.

First you should always remember to stay calm and focused, Also If you can try to practice when you get time before you give the speech to help yourself better, You should try to clear your mind of unecessary things aswell, And remember to make sure you try to focus on having eye contact with the crowd, It's very respectful and important and last of all don't forget to act kind while giving the speech.

Look slightly over their heads.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:13:38 AM by Harm94 »

If he stares at the wall the whole time his speech is going to be stuff.

He needs to make eye contact with people, not the same person all the time obviously, but as many people as he can, go for the important people last.

Eye contact is very important to use, It really helps you socialize and speak to others, And is a very respectful thing to do.

Eye contact is very important to use, It really helps you socialize and speak to others, And is a very respectful thing to do.
That's ironic for me then.
I'm probably one of the most proper kids you'll meet irl, yet I don't make eye contact...
It's not out of disrespect, I have a legit reason that I don't.

That's ironic for me then.
I'm probably one of the most proper kids you'll meet irl, yet I don't make eye contact...
It's not out of disrespect, I have a legit reason that I don't.
Now now, There plenty of reasons for not using eye contact, It's just something that's very important to use when speaking to others, There are multiple reasons for why you should use eye contact with others, If you can it's important to try to use eye contact.

If you can
I'm not saying it's not important.
The reason I try to avoid it is because i have a very short attention spanThank you, adhd that never wore off!, and i'd constantly look away from them at other things, which would make me come off as being rude. (found that out in the past.)

I can only legitimately maintain eye contact with somebody I care about. (family, someone i'm in a relationship with, a significant other, etc.)

I'm not saying it's not important.
The reason I try to avoid it is because i have a very short attention spanThank you, adhd that never wore off!, and i'd constantly look away from them at other things, which would make me come off as being rude. (found that out in the past.)

I can only legitimately maintain eye contact with somebody I care about. (family, someone i'm in a relationship with, a significant other, etc.)
How is someone with whom you're in a relationship different than a significant other?

How is someone with whom you're in a relationship different than a significant other?
I count my best friend which i'm in no way attracted to as a significant other

If you mess up say "forget it." and walk off stage.

If you mess up say "forget it." and walk off stage.
In all seriousness, this is the best word of advice that i've seen.