What do you think of Valve's 'SteamBox' console?

Author Topic: What do you think of Valve's 'SteamBox' console?  (Read 1356 times)

Links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OC4fhoMdaN4#t=12s
http://www.screwattack.com/news/valve-planning-compete-against-consoles-living-room-pcs
http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles

I probably won't use it because "PC master race!" and whatnot :cookieMonster:

But that aside, i think the name should be something like 'Pipe' or something along those lines, i know it sounds ridiculous, but it fits in with the whole Valve, and Steam thing, the supposed name of SteamBox sound like Xbox but the 'X' replaced with Steam, they could have called it 'Gearbox' if they were still working with Gearbox and they allowed this, but unfortunately, that is not the case

The SteamBox is using Steam via Big Picture Mode, so that means downloading games from the store, no discs needed, but i wonder how many people are going to actually want this, the majority of the Steam games are on the PS3 and Xbox 360, so if not the PC, people may already have these games on another console

Also, won't a lot of the games need to be updated to support controllers or something?

I think that once this is ready and shipped and Source 2 is done, that Half Life 3 may be the next step to world domination, it may be too soon for anything relating to Ricochet 2 and it's been 5, going on 6 years since Half Life 2 Episode Two was released, i think it heard somewhere that it took Half Life 2 6 years to be released, doesn't mean anything, but it's just what i heard, it might actually take longer for it to come out since the SteamBox won't be out until 2013 or longer... :(

What do you guys think? Good idea, bad idea, worth it, not worth it, will it sell, or will it bomb?

Don't think its going to do to well. Though it really depends on the price and how the games actually play. The catalog of games ported to linux can also make or brake it. Overall I don't really care because I could just hook my laptop up to my tv and plug in a controller and have the same thing with all my steam games and most likely it will run better.

The SteamBox is using Steam via Big Picture Mode, so that means downloading games from the store, no discs needed, but i wonder how many people are going to actually want this, the majority of the Steam games are on the PS3 and Xbox 360, so if not the PC, people may already have these games on another console
You also have to consider that most of the games available on the consoles aren't updated. TF2 and Awesomenauts are good examples of this, if you go and look at their patch notes comparing PC to consoles...
Also, won't a lot of the games need to be updated to support controllers or something?
A lot of games already have it.

Like 99% of PC games already have native controller support. The only things I would imagine don't support controllers are games like Starcraft, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, etc.

Don't think its going to do to well. Though it really depends on the price and how the games actually play. The catalog of games ported to linux can also make or brake it. Overall I don't really care because I could just hook my laptop up to my tv and plug in a controller and have the same thing with all my steam games and most likely it will run better.
It hasn't been confirmed that it's going to run Linux yet.

"Win8 is bad because its too locked down!"
"Steambox is great, its our own super locked-down system..."

Not calling it Gabecube.

Completely different situations. One is an operating system on a PC, one is a console.

It'll never sell. Too many PC gamers are stuck-up elitists about their medium and would die before they even touched anything that remotely resembled a console. I won't say precisely who though.

It'll never sell. Too many PC gamers are stuck-up elitists about their medium and would die before they even touched anything that remotely resembled a console.
This sounds scarily accurate

It'll never sell. Too many PC gamers are stuck-up elitists about their medium and would die before they even touched anything that remotely resembled a console. I won't say precisely who though.

Except this is going to be marketed towards console users.

as in hardware. 

This is a bad idea for VALVe.

Also isn't it quite unusual that a company that made games for multiple consoles is now making their own console? Isn't the history of a company usually inverted?

This is a bad idea for VALVe.

Also isn't it quite unusual that a company that made games for multiple consoles is now making their own console? Isn't the history of a company usually inverted?
All console devs start somewhere. idk.

but this can't be a bad idea. Steambox is going to be the only WiiU competitor until Microsoft comes out with a new one, or the OUYA (if that doesn't blow chunks, but I hope it's awesome)

it's waay too early to say lol
there's zero real information about it