Author Topic: Upgradable ships  (Read 2096 times)

So on Minecraft I played a server called Madrealms. They have a pretty cool mod where you can build your own airship and fly it around and upgrade it. I thought it would be a great thing for Blockland, especially if it could work well.

Now I know buildable vehicles didn't work out, but buildable elevators did. So using a system similar to that, these could work. They don't need to turn or change their position in any way, just their location. In the MC mod, someone would take a stick, after building it, and say a command, then right click and the ship would move in that direction. Then type another command to stop controlling the ship. These could work like elevators, using static shapes, or maybe even Truce's one mod where a plate would appear under you and allow you to float around by standing on it. It moved the brick by killing and then replacing it in a slightly different position.
So apparently buildable vehicles DO work, truces mod worked great! So that means this is quite possible
      I've always loved those games where you build your own ship and upgrade it and such, like when I was a little younger I played Poptropica's pirate world where you would buy and make your own ship. It would be great for maybe pirate Rp's or something.  
     Now that I think of it, truces buildable vehicles work fine with this. Now we just need to wait until Truce makes a boat chassis. Or maybe someone else could make a boat chassis, one that like GSF's carriers can also be walked on. What I guess I was really asking for is a system for this to work. Some sort of currency system for buying bricks to build on the ship
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:44:30 AM by Mysteroo »

So you're suggesting that the server loads the entire ship again each time you move it?
Idk how that's gonna work out for you. Depends on the size of the ship anyway.

So you're suggesting that the server loads the entire ship again each time you move it?
Idk how that's gonna work out for you. Depends on the size of the ship anyway.
If you don't go crazy and build something huge it could be alright. I don't mod though so I don't know how realistic this is

They don't need to turn or change their position in any way, just their location

Good job on that sentence, makes so much sense!
Also this sounds cool but is most likely not possible in an efficient way

They don't need to turn or change their position in any way, just their location

Good job on that sentence, makes so much sense!
Also this sounds cool but is most likely not possible in an efficient way
meaning needs to translate, not rotate
Vehicles would have to rotate horizontally or vertically, With this I guess it would be nice to do that, but it's not necessary. It can be more like the elevators mod, which worked, where you can just move up, down, left or right, but not rotate in any direction.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:08:47 PM by Mysteroo »

i was going to make a shipping joke but this is actually a good suggestion if it's doable

I can see this working and being good if ships are small. Nitpicky questions though: what would be the movement increments? One whole ship-length? 8x?
How do you plan to move players currently on the ship?

I can see this working and being good if ships are small. Nitpicky questions though: what would be the movement increments? One whole ship-length? 8x?
How do you plan to move players currently on the ship?
Again, I don't make mods, I don't know much about scripting or what is and isn't realistic. However the buildable elavators/trains mod seems to work very well. I thought it could use a system like that. Only rather than be controlled by commands or events, it would be controlled maybe by an item or something like that. And maybe to reduce lag, you could move the boat and people on it just barley faster than a normal player at the max, and in more than 1 brick increments, like you said.
     I'm not really sure about the details, what would and wouldn't work. I guess I would leave that to whoever, if anybody, decides to try and take this on.

edit- another idea. Now this would take a lot of work and probably wouldn't be much more efficient, but I'm just throwing ideas out there.
     If using bricks doesn't work, there could be a whole truckload of variations of airships as vehicles, each with different upgrades. Throughout the game instead of upgrading via building, you would upgrade via switching to a better vehicle.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:50:42 PM by Mysteroo »

but buildable elevators did.
OMG thE stuff i can think of for blockland (i didn't know this was possible)
also do you or dose any one have a link? topic or download
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:06:13 PM by Tic-toc26 »

OMG tho stuff i can think of for blockland (i didn't know this was possible)
also do you or dose any one have a link? topic or download
It's on the add-ons page, it was uploaded a day or two ago

It's on the add-ons page, it was uploaded a day or two ago
TY

edit- another idea. Now this would take a lot of work and probably wouldn't be much more efficient, but I'm just throwing ideas out there.
     If using bricks doesn't work, there could be a whole truckload of variations of airships as vehicles, each with different upgrades. Throughout the game instead of upgrading via building, you would upgrade via switching to a better vehicle.
This was what I was thinking when I entered the topic, and I would definitely love this.

bump
So apparently buildable vehicles DO work, truces mod worked great! So that means this is quite possible
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:30:53 PM by Mysteroo »

Yes when the maker of the buildable vechs mod (not brian Truce i think) adds flying vechs and makes cars and stuff buildable while mobile, this would be done.

Yes when the maker of the buildable vechs mod (not brian Truce i think) adds flying vechs and makes cars and stuff buildable while mobile, this would be done.
This.