Author Topic: Baked shadows?  (Read 5288 times)

I don't know, Keeping the current system seems more reasonable, the last thing we want is 2 branches of engine code trying to do the same thing - and thus having 2 engine features to maintain.

Well it is possible, the newest torque game engine supports both dynamic and baked lighting/shadows.

Now if Badspot could somehow implement it in the game that would be cool, although I would want vehicle physics fix to come first.

The only people you will have on the server are the rich kids that can afford super computers.

Uh false...

The only people you will have on the server are the rich kids that can afford super computers.
lol rich
I have 4g of ram, and someone sent me a free geforce240 on the Lotro forums. I can run shadows on max

lol rich
I have 4g of ram, and someone sent me a free geforce240 on the Lotro forums. I can run shadows on max
I have 2x6GB of DDR3 and Radeon HD 5870 v2 @ 1GB and I can't run stuff. 15 FPS tops on high.

If this is feasible it's something I'd really like to see.  

A fair chunk of people actually play on weak laptops, not even a nice desktop setup.

I think most people who play blockland can't afford computer rigs that can render shadows on minimum in 20k+ brick builds.

Of course, anything is possible, but I wouldn't expect to see anything like this in Blockland. The way shadows are rendered, it requires a high end graphics card to process. Adding baked shadows would require a second implementation of shaders running concurrently with the first that would display static shadows, something I doubt Badspot would do. The second thing is that shader pixels are much smaller than bricks and would take a while to ghost to clients, possibly exceeding the network packet size due to raw count. If you assume a single brick spawns 10 shader pixels on average (a very, very conservative estimate) then a build with 30,000 bricks will exceed the network packet limit.

Sorry, but I don't think this will be coming to Blockland.

Of course, anything is possible, but I wouldn't expect to see anything like this in Blockland. The way shadows are rendered, it requires a high end graphics card to process. Adding baked shadows would require a second implementation of shaders running concurrently with the first that would display static shadows, something I doubt Badspot would do. The second thing is that shader pixels are much smaller than bricks and would take a while to ghost to clients, possibly exceeding the network packet size due to raw count. If you assume a single brick spawns 10 shader pixels on average (a very, very conservative estimate) then a build with 30,000 bricks will exceed the network packet limit.

Sorry, but I don't think this will be coming to Blockland.
Could you do this client side? Make the user download the shadow texture and then use that instead of constantly streaming the data to the client which would indeed be quite impractical.

I have 2x6GB of DDR3 and Radeon HD 5870 v2 @ 1GB and I can't run stuff. 15 FPS tops on high.
theres something wrong then

theres something wrong then
Skyrim with a hundred mods, max settings +  a few graphical mods and I get 30 FPS average. Blockland ~80k bricks on low, 15 FPS average.

Skyrim with a hundred mods, max settings +  a few graphical mods and I get 30 FPS average. Blockland ~80k bricks on low, 15 FPS average.
wow i dont get good fps why i dont even have a graghics card installed i use my first gen i3 to do graghics meh

what i did tho to help it a little bit was made blockland a 64 bit application

Uh false...
Well, I'm tempted to say that anyone with a dedicated graphics card can run shadows to some extent. My Radeon 7870 runs everything maxed out, 1080p, 120k+ bricks at more than 60 fps average. The problem is that most people don't have graphics cards. My guess is that at least 40% of all Blocklanders play the game on some kind of laptop.