Author Topic: Your Server Sucks (and here's why)  (Read 5677 times)

i don't like most blockland servers. they're never thought through nor are they interesting or fun (despite being created in the PERFECT MEDIUM for trying out interesting and possibly fun things)

here's my reasoning as to why- and, in addition, ways to fix them.

on cloning Counter-Strike Source (and subsidiaries)
here is a list of EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH the idea of counterstrike in blockland

1: the maps we have are too forgetin small for this stuff. blockheads are proportionally waay bigger and fatter then the average human and trying to cram them all into cs_office without modifications is like happy hour at a donut shop

MAKE THE MAPS forgetIN BIGGER

actually, you know what? make new maps. like, brand-new, entirely unrelated maps. come up with new themes an stuff. it would be SUPER loving badass to fight on like, an army base that's about to get blown up by terrorists, or on a nuclear oil rig, or on a forgetin SPACE STATION running around on solar panels, holy stuff. could you imagine that? do that stuff. move away from typical, pansy-ass "ohh ho ho i'm fighting in an everyday situation!" scenarios cause every other game DOES IT BETTER

_________

2: the weapons everyone uses aren't calibrated for high-stakes high-intensity combat. you're using weapons that are designed for long-range (BLOCKLANDY) style combat with lots of projectiles and dodging in a game where everyone fights at point blank and missing the first shot is literally the difference between life and death

grenades in particular are overpowered due to the radius of their effect (and effective range). if anything, nerf the conc grenade and the stick grenade to do UP TO 75 damage over a small area and mess with the views of everyone caught in the blast. also? make them SOUND like they're forgetin dangerous and people will catch on and realize "forget stuff GRENADES ARE forgetIN SCARY" and thus will cause them to be tactically interesting AND tactically sound (AND open up opportunities for things like decoy grenades which are explicitly designed to seem like real grenades but just scare you stuffless*)

*these don't even have to be grenades: forget, just any throwable roughly-grenade-shaped objects. rocks? bolts? body parts?

2.5: NOBODY forgetIN DIFFERENTIATES BETWEEN THE BATTLE RIFLE AND ASSAULT RIFLE

they are DIFFERENT forgetIN GUNS

they are NOT effective within the same areas and within the areas that CSS games are typically played in battle rifles will WHOOP THE ASSAULT RIFLE'S SORRY LITTLE ASS because it does higher damage quicker and chews through ammo like there's NO loving TOMMOROW

assault rifles, to contrast, are powerful _RANGED_ weapons that do consistent and respectable damage _AT RANGE_ and give bonuses to the first shot in a burst that is only typically useful _AT RANGE_ and fires relatively slowly so the recoil doesn't forget you up so you can continue shooting _AT RANGE_ at a single target and ACTUALLY KILL HIM

long story short: BATTLE RIFLES ARE THE forgetIN stuff AND YOU'RE GIVING THEM TO _ONLY ONE TEAM?_

2.75: WEAPON DIFFERENTIATION

DON'T loving DO THIS stuff

if anything, use SKINS. give the terrorists ONE gun and give the cts a SKINNED version of THE SAME GUN. that should be fine, with the exception of skinning the combat shotgun and the riot shotgun: these weapons are markedly different and this SHOULD BE loving NOTED so DON'T TREAT THEM AS THE SAME GUN. you will forget UP THE BALANCE. offer them both instead.

_________

3: the block- suffix

seriously. is this the best you can come up with? hurr hurr blockostrike blockocombat blockbox counterblock forget you and EVERYONE YOU KNOW there are SO MANY MORE PUNS and interesting plays on word that are appropriate to _BLOCK_land (NOTE: THIS IS THE ONLY APPROPRIATE USE OF THE SUFFIX BECAUSE IT IS STARTING THE TREND FOR _OTHER PUNS TO BASE OFF OF_).

SERIOUSLY this is a loving GOLD MINE. you've got construction puns, firearm puns, war puns, plastic puns, the works

you know what? here's a forgetin freebie

plastic-strike

there

there is a SLIGHTLY MORE ORIGINAL title. do not use that stuff because it is admittedly awful and people can do WAY loving better

________

4: blockland is designed as a dodgey, jumpy kind of game. counterstrike is DISTINCTLY NOT. note that we can, in fact, jump MORE THEN OUR VERTICAL HEIGHT. note that combat in blockland is made different from other games by the fact that EVERYONE JUMPS ALL THE loving TIME. the projectiles are VISIBLE and DODGEABLE if you put your mind to it with only specific guns being unavoidable and they're all forgetIN HITSCAN. blockland's combat is DEFINED by DODGING

COUNTER STRIKE'S ISN'T

THIS IS A _MAJOR loving ISSUE_

if you're gonna make a DIRECT COUNTER STRIKE CLONE you are barking up the WRONG forgetIN TREE cause the directions of the two games are DIVERGENT as stuff. blockland is an ARENA SHOOTER: counter strike is a TACTICAL shooter. you can HAVE a tactical arena shooter, but not by FORCING TACTICAL SHOOTER GAMEPLAY OVER AN ARENA SHOOTER GAME. if ANYTHING, you should be ADAPTING concepts counter strike gives you, modifying them to be DIFFERENT AND MAKE SENSE WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF AN ARENA SHOOTER, THEN playtest it and MAKE SURE it's BETTER then both source games

this is called PROGRESSION

game design is BASED AROUND THIS stuff and you're JUST MOOCHING OFF COUNTER STRIKE'S SUCCESS

like i said: my advice? come up with something NEW (but spiritually SIMILAR) to the original concept WITHOUT FALLING INTO THE TRAPPINGS THAT THE ORIGINAL CONCEPT FELL INTO or falling for issues that would COME UP from the transfer from one game engine to the other

on cloning Counter-Strike Source (and subsidiaries)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:43:30 PM by Bushido »

This is a little hostile, IMO.

I agree the fact that there arent always good servers, but when there are, they are really good.

hurr hurr blockostrike blockocombat blockbox counterblock forget you and EVERYONE YOU KNOW
this

Lol YOUR GUNS SUCK THEY HAVE TO MUCH RECOIL WHEN THEY FIRE THERE TOO SMALL MAKE THEM SMALLER
TACTIAL IS TOO EVERYDAY NAME IS TIER PLASTIC

This is what i captured from this topic

i agree with this 110%

You only covered CS:S Styled servers (which accounts for games like Black Ops, ect)

But also please cover TF2, L4D for clones, and cover Knife TDMs and other unoriginal game modes.

Lol YOUR GUNS SUCK THEY HAVE TO MUCH RECOIL WHEN THEY FIRE THERE TOO SMALL MAKE THEM SMALLER
TACTIAL IS TOO EVERYDAY NAME IS TIER PLASTIC

This is what i captured from this topic
I do agree that the guns are inaccurate, aimwise and some have too much recoil.

you should cover more servers than just CS style

You only covered CS:S Styled servers (which accounts for games like Black Ops, ect)

But also please cover TF2, L4D for clones, and cover Knife TDMs and other unoriginal game modes.
left for clones >:(

there needs to be more original tdms like a pokemon sapper battle thing and glass floor shooters

Surprised this isn't also addressing the much more horrible server genres like Family RP or Jail RP. Those are much worse than an unoriginal DM.

forgetin stuff. forgetIN stuff. loving forgetin stuff. stuff. ass forgetin "forget stuff forgetIN" stuffless* forget, forgetIN forgetIN ASS loving forget forgetIN stuff loving stuff loving forget forget loving forgetin stuff loving loving forgetIN loving forgetIN stuff. stuff
I think i'd be able to agree with you better, if you were able to do it without spitting this kind of garbage ^^^ the entire time through while you make your points. I get that you're mad, but you sound too angry.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:13:41 PM by Planr »

i'm mad bro

i don't like the direction that blockland runs in and i'm actually really peeved that it has progressed like this. like, we should know this by default, really, why am i telling you this

or maybe we don't, and i really do have to tell you this? whatever.

the rant was originally directed at racerboy and skill4life for their dogstuff server that i can see potential in but is getting forgeted up by not only their incompetence but also psp's who is too damn lazy and stubborn to actually try to fix stuff apparently