Your Server Sucks (and here's why)

Author Topic: Your Server Sucks (and here's why)  (Read 5667 times)

GSF is the future.  We are stuck in this rut because terrain was removed, which allowed for seemingly unlimited room to build whatever.  Ever since terrain's removal, TDMs have been confined to building-based, bordered, or island games, because the unlimited flatlands is an issue.  With GSF, landscaped borders and more ideal environments can be made and will be made, so to lead us out of the rut.

landscapes aren't required to have a good on-foot TDM

for vehicle TDMs, sure, but vehicle TDMs are buggy as stuff. until that gets fixed you're better off making smaller-scale, interior-style DMs
and even then GSF is definitely not the wave of the future, forget's sake: people can and have used terrain bricks for almost everything. there's no finesse with GSF. if you're gonna do anything on-foot you're better off using just standard ol' default bricks, with maybe a few things from phydeoux for detailing

heed isn't original, he's just doing the same thing he's been doing since ever, which is just vehicle TDMs which he apparently doesn't put any forethought into
i've hosted way more than just vehicle TDMs

bushido makes crappy TDMs which he doesn't put any forethought into
^example of a stuffty ass claim that lacks backup

i'm pretty sure he's referring to the TDMs that you have actually used GSF terrain for

IE: your vehicle TDMs

those were completely not thought-out, though; there's no depth to the combat itself (which is the linchpin of a TDM in the first place) nor is there forethought or balancing on the vehicle's end- there was no real reason to choose any of the non-tank vehicles once you got onto the island, there was no reason to use any weapon besides the RPG or grenade launcher, and the only real strategy there was (which is critical for large-scale TDMs- the kind that would require any form of landscape in the first place) was "EVERYONE RUSH"

the formula was dull and had been done before and you were just riding out what you had already known to work without really moving forward or doing anything interesting with it. it wasn't particularly bad it just wasn't particularly good

it was overwhelmingly decent

Good job, Bushido. You proved why Counter Strike Source servers suck. That definitely applies to every server out there right now. You can't say that all server suck and then complain about one type of server. I like how everyone else is talking about the different kinds of servers. Good job guys. Bushido, don't title this "Your Server Sucks (and here's why)" If you're only going to rant about one single type of server.

Me and my friend host a css server and it wasnt ranted on are we special :]

... i'm not done, though.

... i'm not done, though.
Please, continue. I'd love to hear what you have to say about every type of server ever.

I loving agree 80% with this rant. Blockand has horrible jump physics for a tactical shooter mini-game and no one, no loving one can argue with that. Usually people try to tune down the jump crouch bullstuff by lowering the jump height. Guess what handicap: in Counter-Strike whenever you jump you lose your momentum and your player walks really slow for a few seconds. This is to stop bunny hopping, which is basically the Counter-strike's counterpart (hue) of duckjumping, AKA an annoying way people try to dodge bullets. If someone wants to stop this stuff, they need to add a delay to ducking, a cooldown to jumping and when you land you should move slowly for a second being unable to jump. The missing 20% that i mentioned before which i didn't agree with are the parts where you are telling people to tweak your add-ons to function more in their minigame. Isn't this your job? I'm not going to be aggressive like pointing out a flaw and telling that you're a bad add-on maker because you obviously have something to counter argue with it.

With every other part of your rant i can agree completely. The fact that Blockland's server list is full of badly executed piece of stuff unoriginal games which for some handicapped reason are popular (Knife TDMs, Deathrun, TDM whatevers). Many people hate them, and its great that someone is trying to do something to stop these dreadful servers, which have already killed my interest to this game. Thank you Bushido.

i'm pretty sure he's referring to the TDMs that you have actually used GSF terrain for

IE: your vehicle TDMs

those were completely not thought-out, though; there's no depth to the combat itself (which is the linchpin of a TDM in the first place) nor is there forethought or balancing on the vehicle's end- there was no real reason to choose any of the non-tank vehicles once you got onto the island, there was no reason to use any weapon besides the RPG or grenade launcher, and the only real strategy there was (which is critical for large-scale TDMs- the kind that would require any form of landscape in the first place) was "EVERYONE RUSH"

the formula was dull and had been done before and you were just riding out what you had already known to work without really moving forward or doing anything interesting with it. it wasn't particularly bad it just wasn't particularly good

it was overwhelmingly decent
do you even play? i've never used GSF terrain once. tanks are simply better than other vehicles, and that makes contesting tank control points more important. you choose a jeep or something because it will help you get to your destination quicker, so you can capture it and secure better stuff. there is no reason to use a LAND vehicle that isn't a tank besides availability. thats not a negative. jeeps don't have to be granted "buffs" or "abilities" to make them some good alternative. they're weaker than tanks and that's that.

"EVERYONE RUSH" didn't work unless your opponents sucked. thats how it goes for any strategy. having your team rush a point leaves other points open, where one guy sneaks in and captures it. thats why rounds seemed endless. everyone would rush the last point they needed, then the enemy would backdoor and capture the undefended points. the only strategy being used there doesn't mean that's the only strategy that could be used there. thats not the fault of the server

idk about the RPG and GL anymore since I haven't been there in a while. i'm sure they're still probably pretty powerful though.

i've never tried a vehicle TDM on a brick built map before then. turns out brick collision sucks and limits what you can do. there can't be canyons or trenches or any kind of other basic obstacle because vehicles just get stuck on them and fall through the ground. i couldn't create valleys for jeeps to escape from tanks or anything because jeeps just get stuck on them. it didn't work out like i would've hoped, but I kept it up while I work on OTHER things.

i see so many of these topics pop up every single month, and they're all bark that dies off within weeks, then resurfaces and repeats. its some kind of server list revolution that never gets past the idea stage. why? because all anyone does is SAY whats wrong and SAY whats bad. they never act to change things, and only hope that the already popular hosts are going to change. you're commoners that speak of new ideas to the hosting kings, who are already rich and fine living how they are. even if they are the king of stuff city, they don't have to change anything because they're the king and they're rich. those people hosting the servers you complain about aren't listening to these ideas because they don't have to when you all keep joining them.

WORK on something new, don't just preach to others about changing, because it clearly hasn't worked. the people playing the servers you find bad will continue playing the servers you find bad until someone decides to host something different that is actually fun. if you want to get something done, do it. you should be out there building and working on new things. that is, unless, you're all just talk afterall.

So what you're saying is that my Borg server is perfect?

The missing 20% that i mentioned before which i didn't agree with are the parts where you are telling people to tweak your add-ons to function more in their minigame. Isn't this your job? I'm not going to be aggressive like pointing out a flaw and telling that you're a bad add-on maker because you obviously have something to counter argue with it.

it's not my job to fine-tune my stuff for every single person ever. i'm giving you a stable and sturdy platform to work off of so people will be able to easily recognize playstyles- IE, the assault rifle is a slow-firing automatic weapon that is super reliable at X ranges. the battle rifle is a quick-firing automatic weapon that is super damaging within Y range but is too visible and high-profile and inaccurate to use beyond Z range. the sniper rifle is powerful at XYZ ranges but is extremely unforgiving and rewards players for being quick and decisive

do you even play? i've never used GSF terrain once. tanks are simply better than other vehicles, and that makes contesting tank control points more important. you choose a jeep or something because it will help you get to your destination quicker, so you can capture it and secure better stuff. there is no reason to use a LAND vehicle that isn't a tank besides availability. thats not a negative. jeeps don't have to be granted "buffs" or "abilities" to make them some good alternative. they're weaker than tanks and that's that.

"EVERYONE RUSH" didn't work unless your opponents sucked. thats how it goes for any strategy. having your team rush a point leaves other points open, where one guy sneaks in and captures it. thats why rounds seemed endless. everyone would rush the last point they needed, then the enemy would backdoor and capture the undefended points. the only strategy being used there doesn't mean that's the only strategy that could be used there. thats not the fault of the server

dude i built your hangars i know what i'm talking about

except in retrospect the GSF thing which i again might be confusing for someone else. forget. were your ramps just normal ramps then. i dunno, i didn't build those.

even then though the strategy was still essentially just "EVERYONE RUSH ___ SO WE CAN RUSH ___ LATER"; there was no variation in weapon choice, allowing for things like flanking and pestering to be a really viable tactic. there were strategic landmarks, sure, but they weren't super game changing and they could still be taken out if you just rush them

you're still admitting that you didn't put any real thought into it cause you were just using it to experiment with brick-based vehicular maps in the first place. i mean, yeah, maybe your next server will be better; i'm just saying that the vehicle TDM was SUPER forgetin mediocre

in the 'extremely middle-of-the-road' sense, not in the 'insultingly not-good' sense. it was extremely adequate.

i see so many of these topics pop up every single month, and they're all bark that dies off within weeks, then resurfaces and repeats. its some kind of server list revolution that never gets past the idea stage. why? because all anyone does is SAY whats wrong and SAY whats bad. they never act to change things, and only hope that the already popular hosts are going to change. you're commoners that speak of new ideas to the hosting kings, who are already rich and fine living how they are. even if they are the king of stuff city, they don't have to change anything because they're the king and they're rich. those people hosting the servers you complain about aren't listening to these ideas because they don't have to when you all keep joining them.

WORK on something new, don't just preach to others about changing, because it clearly hasn't worked. the people playing the servers you find bad will continue playing the servers you find bad until someone decides to host something different that is actually fun. if you want to get something done, do it. you should be out there building and working on new things. that is, unless, you're all just talk afterall.

the last time this died off was because of extraneous and extremely contrived circumstances.

i'm not even kidding. it involved stuffty room cleaning and me getting IP banned.

people pointing out the issues of concepts are exactly what's required to spark change, cause people tend to fix the things they've been made aware are problems. saying is all i really need to do- specifically target people and tell them why they're not doing as well as they could be and how they could do even better. if they do want to do better, they just make the changes and bam, they're riding high off of what is markedly a better idea (unless there's some sort of critical flaw in my logic in which case it is my fault) and i'm happy because the overall quality of blockland's server lineup has gone up by just-that-much.

what do you want me to do, single-handedly commandeer every forgetin' server and redo every idea from the ground up?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:48:08 AM by Bushido »

i dont think you know half of what you're saying. i didn't use ramps at all.

there was COMPLETE variation in weapon choice. there were long range rifles, shotguns, assault rifles, pistols, explosives, syringe, shields, and a variety of skins for each.

it wasn't great, but many of your reasons why are just flat out wrong.

the weapon choice wasn't honed to the gamemode is what i'm getting at

the variation was mostly preferential, not game-changing: the only weapons i ever saw getting any real use were the magnum, sniper rifle, and explosives that all serve the same exact purpose

there were no quirks added or removed from T+T to add depth (for instance: EMPs, shields, electricity) nor was there any real attempt to make situations where X weapon would be definitively useful and thus having it would give you a tactical advantage (except for the ENTIRE MAP and sniper rifles due to the fact there was like, no cover anywhere)

i dont think you know half of what you're saying. i didn't use ramps at all.

on the way up to the cave control point there was a junction where you had to drive uphill, turn a corner, and typically immediately get slaughtered by people you couldn't see

like, the interiors were all just corridors. the spatial sense was all either thin enough to be blastable through by explosives (just another reason to use explosives, you see) or rammed through by vehicles
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:52:16 AM by Bushido »

Why does NOBODY make anything interesting other than a standard DM scenario?
I like variation, not a better way to mimic all the other damn servers.

loving, do something different please?