Author Topic: I have a general question about Linux.  (Read 673 times)

So I'm considering switching to Linux when I build my next computer.
My main issue is compatibility.
Do you guys find that WINE works flawlessly running Windows programs? I'm afraid to switch over and not be able to run the same things I can on my Windows machine.
What are some flaws you can think of in terms of switching from Win7 to Linux?

Wine works, but some programs are really funky.
Steam is on Linux now so you don't have to run it in WINE.
Blockland runs really well.

Like what?

Sometimes the anti-piracy systems on programs go weird, or the general interface acts bizarrely. Some games refuse to lauch, DirectX and games take a bit of configuration to work smoothly if I recall. General crashing or refusing to launch as well.

I wouldn't rely on it.

Sometimes the anti-piracy systems on programs go weird, or the general interface acts bizarrely. Some games refuse to lauch, DirectX and games take a bit of configuration to work smoothly if I recall. General crashing or refusing to launch as well.

I wouldn't rely on it.
So I guess my question is: is it worth it to switch to Linux for the functionality?

So I guess my question is: is it worth it to switch to Linux for the functionality?

Unless you want to develop for Linux, you want to use it for networking, or you are just a general fan of the Linux brand and the open source flagship, then... no.

why do people say that they'd "switch to Linux"
Linux by itself is not usable as an operating system

Maybe make your computer Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu?

why do people say that they'd "switch to Linux"
Linux by itself is not usable as an operating system

Because its "brand" represents the distros.

Because its "brand" represents the distros.

it really doesn't make much sense and is especially annoying when somebody has a problem
it's quite difficult to resolve a problem that somebody is having when you don't even know what operating system they are using

it really doesn't make much sense and is especially annoying when somebody has a problem
it's quite difficult to resolve a problem that somebody is having when you don't even know what operating system they are using

Yeah... most of those people probably didn't wander past Ubuntu I bet.

Yeah... most of those people probably didn't wander past Ubuntu I bet.

And by that you mean ..?

And by that you mean ..?

An unseasoned Linux user will have no tried more than Ubuntu imo.

An unseasoned Linux user will have no tried more than Ubuntu imo.

Uhh.. okay? I really wasn't talking about anything related to how many distributions you've tried.