The EDM Megathread v2

Author Topic: The EDM Megathread v2  (Read 118118 times)

The Electronic Dance Music Megathread

EDM is, in a nutshell, electronic music that was made for dancing. EDM spans across multiple different subgenres, which include, but are not limited to the following:

Electro
Usually at 120 to 130 bpm, has a strong, energetic beat, powerful chords, and in some cases, includes an arrangement of random but rhythmically arranged sounds that complement one another. A prominent effect in this genre is "sidechaining," where one instrument (usually the kick drum) gains priority in the song, and the rest of the instruments "dip down" to complement the sidechained instrument.
Knife Party - EDM Death Machine

House
This genre shares many similarities with electro, mainly the sidechain effect, BPM range, and beat style, however it shifts focus more towards the percussion than electro, and most commonly features a repeating chord progression, which is what most people associate with a house track.
Vicetone - Harmony

Dubstep
Usually at 140 BPM, and it typically has a “kick - snare - kick - snare” pattern in half-time. Dubstep is most known for heavy, heavy emphasis on a specific distorted sound that occurs during the "drop," in which this sound is modulated for a couple measures. It's also widely known for having a sort of bass "wobble." Dubstep can also have sort of a calm, slower feel, focusing on instruments at a lower frequency, the bass, and it pushes itself away from the typical harder noises of mainstream dubstep. The "calmer" kind of dubstep is usually referred to as "liquid dubstep."
Fuzion - Midnight Ride ft. Sunn (Ramses B. Remix)

Drum and Bass / Drumstep
DnB is one of the more faster-paced genres, ranging from around 160 to 200 BPM. It focuses more on the percussion in most cases, and it occasionally borrows elements from other EDM genres. Drumstep is a variation of Dubstep, sort of a mix between the two. It's at the BPM of DnB, but half-time, and shares many common elements found in dubstep. Like dubstep, DnB also has a "liquid" form, where it's much calmer, and no single instrument gains priority. The song becomes an arrangement of what most would describe as soft, peaceful sounds.
I Am Orange - Crow Machine

Trance
Trance ranges from 120 to 140 BPM, and is usually a little faster paced than Electro, and is progressive/repeating like house. The snares in trance are more "airy" than in other genres, and the bassline is deep, dark, and plucky. Trance can also have a very unique, strange, ambient soundscape that accompanies the song.
Nhato - Hello World

Moombahton / Moombahcore
Ranging from 100 to 110 BPM, moombahton is at a lower tempo than house-based genres, but still manages to maintain every bit of energy. It's mostly known for the delayed snare in the kick - snare - kick - snare beat, and borrowing elements from dubstep. The difference between moombahton and moombahcore is that the latter is just slower-paced dubstep.
Invader! - Moomvader (Get Loose)

Glitch Hop
Very similar to moombahton; sometimes the difference is indistinguishable. Regardless, glitch hop clocks at 100 to 110 BPM, and it has sort of a "swingy" feel, while usually featuring a variety of different growls and "whomps." It's funny describing it, and an example would help you understand more.
Pegboard Nerds - Fire in the Hole

Hardstyle / Hardcore
DAWM DAWM DAWM DAWM DAWM DA-in other words, hardstyle is usually found at around 150 BPM, has a distinct "hard" kick that gives it its name, and an arrangement of different "acid-y" sounds that make up the genre. Hardstyle also has a nice little clap thrown in some places, can be a little glitchy, and typically has very nice melodies.
Neilio - Obsession

Nu Disco
Nu Disco is essentially a reinvented form of disco. It fuses characteristics of the disco we all know and love with modern electronic elements to create a really nice funkayy sound. Only a little slower paced than house-based genres, but still shares many similarities.
Madeon - Shuriken

Electroswing
Like nu disco, electroswing goes further back in the past and incorporates elements of 30s swing in a nice electronic fashion. Electroswing is like a faster paced glitch hop.
Caravan Palace - Clash

Everything Else
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres

Notable Artists:
Deadmau5 | Daft Punk | Madeon | Porter Robinson | Skrillex | Kill the Noise | Knife Party | The Glitch Mob | Ephixa | Alex S. | Krewella | Feed Me

Notable Sources:
Monstercat Media | VitalFM | The Orion Music Network | The Fij Network | Liquicity | Funky PandaTasty Network | Epic Network Music | Nik Cooper

Blockland EDM Musicians:
TheBlackParrot | Ghille | Cucumber! | Psarius (ChickenMaster) | Katadeus | TomTheGeek | TurtleCopter (Stick Man) | Myself | Sorxiis (Hiiro326) | Momentum (No Content) | n0b0t (Nobot) | Xoundsystem (JD) | Martinsaurusrex (Beachbum) | DJMango (Cookiez664) | YoungRotations (Robin Ihoodl) | LLOiD (BluetoothBoy) | Brawntide (bob12378) | qlmaX5 (GhostOfBetaTapes) | Neskii (SPooK)

(if you want your name ^there, send me a PM with a link to your soundcloud/bandcamp (or post it here, that's fine too))

A list of digital audio workspaces (DAWs) for those interested in electronic music production:
Commercial: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation#Commercial_systems
Free & Open Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation#Free_and_open_source_systems

**If your only purpose in posting in this thread is to say "lol yo skrill drop it hard yoiyoi xDd dubstep more like stuffstep" you will be promptly ignored. Please do not waste your time.

**I and everyone here is already aware of the fact that almost every name associated with EDM is weird as forget, no need to point that out, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:46:48 PM by Kingdaro »

...what the hell did i miss, why is the other topic locked?

long story. also,
Monday Monstercat release: [Electro] Droptek - Chaos Storm

holy mother of forget yes electro from droptek

just moving this here just because.

long story.
well, you have a 2,000 character limit
and I'm sure everyone's curious now

railyx says that if you want to know badly enough, you can ask him personally

also isn't the limit like ~14000 characters or something? because i'm pretty sure the OP is way more than 2000 characters, lol

also isn't the limit like ~14000 characters or something? because i'm pretty sure the OP is way more than 2000 characters, lol
oops, not 2,000
I'm pretty sure it's 2-something, so I think it's 20,000

DnB is my stuff

First page :D

and yeah, comments on improving genre descriptions are appreciated.

What happened to v1? I'm interested in the 'long story.'

if you want to know badly enough, you can ask him personally

Also; I'm going to be a bitch about it for no reason but Hardstyle and Hardcore are two completely different things.

Hardstyle

Hardcore

not complaining or anything but could you put monstercat's weekday releases near the top? I found it to be really convenient. Danke c:

Of course you put Get Loose as the moombahton example ;D

And Harmony is so much yes. Do you mind if I post the Monstercat releases?

funkayy
^^^Best part of the thread.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:37:18 AM by Cucumber! »

oh yeah you forgot hiiro on the BL musicians thing