Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310603 times)

...although youre better off getting an i3 if youre gaming

...although youre better off getting an i3 if youre gaming
Not really. The pentium matches an i3-4330 in most cases for $50 less, even when 4 threads are scheduled. Combine that with a cheap h87 board (as pentium was saying on the other page) and cheap air cooler and you have an unbeatable value proposition, even against amd offerings like the 750k
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:39:55 PM by Treynolds416 »

Not really. The pentium outperforms in most cases, even when 4 threads are scheduled. Combine that with a cheap h87 board (as pentium was sayingon theother page) and cheap air cooler and you have an unbeatable value proposition, even against amd offerings
I wouldnt exactly count on a cheap H87 to keep a high, stable overclock. most reviewers have a high-end Z87 motherboard at hand, of course they can hit crazy 4.6Ghz clocks.

They're not of poorer quality, they just have a different chipset. z87 isn't any worse than z97 at overclocking either, and you can find some of those boards for under $80 easily. The pentium still holds a better value than the i3, especially if you consider the ability to overclock when you upgrade your processor and not have to change motherboards in the future

nothing to do with quality, everything to do with VRM phases. I dont want 2 stuffty modules which cannot handle a high voltage needed for an overclock. Id rather have an 8-phase digital VRM

nothing to do with quality, everything to do with VRM phases. I dont want 2 stuffty modules which cannot handle a high voltage needed for an overclock. Id rather have an 8-phase digital VRM
You don't need high voltage, 1.3 should be all that's required for 4.4-4.5ghz
Stability isn't determined by the motherboard, it's determined by the chip

You only need to worry about VRMs is if you have a high TDP CPU. Even at 4.6 GHz, the Pentium uses less power than a stock i5, which is a piece of cake even for H81 boards. We can't be too certain until someone tries it, though, but knowing the enthusiast community that won't be too long.
EDIT: This is an image that's posted on almost every news article about the G3258:

If those clocks are stable, then 4.6 Ghz on a cheap board should be an easy task.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:02:56 PM by Pentium »

Asus or Lenovo?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:49:21 PM by #Ravencroft »

-made topic to avoid page loss-
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:25:20 PM by Bisjac »

can someone tell me what is the best computer for gaming that I can build/buy for $400, including a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Windows

can someone tell me what is the best computer for gaming that I can build/buy for $400, including a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Windows
windows - $85
monitor - $100
mouse+keyboard -  $15

only about 200 left for pc. a gaming computer is pretty much impossible for the price. unless you buy some used parts off of ebay, salvage old computers. you could pick up a hard drive, a case, disk drive. in the best case scenario you are looking at a $60 pentium + $50 H81 mobo + $40 RAM + $20 PSU after mail in rebates. left with at whopping $30. not enough for a GPU, youre going to have to stick to integrated HD for a while. youll only be able to play only older games, until you save up for a GPU.

if you are a student, then you could probably get windows 8 for free. in that case, pick up a GTX 750 or something and youll have a somewhat adequate gaming PC
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:16:08 AM by Shitty Puns »

so in other words, I should buy an xbox one instead

so in other words, I should buy an xbox one PS4 instead
fix'd.