Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310325 times)

isn't OEM bad for OS's or something
I will get the full version, I didn't put the list together. OEM means you can install it on one motherboard and you don't get free microsoft support. ALTHOUGH apparently that's changed for windows 8.1, minus the support thing. :/

Ok, so I'm looking at this deal. I'm planning to upgrade to an intel LGA 1150 CPU for my birthday, probably, which is in July (yes, I know, it's a quite some time away, let me explain). I was looking at this motherboard, which currently comes with 8 gigs of RAM. That's a freaking steal, since the RAM is currently $70 alone, and I could get the board for $80. Plus, it's matching colors to my system color scheme, which is always a bonus.

Now, normally it's not a good idea to by components ahead of time, because if 6 months later you finally open it and find it's a DOA, you're warranty is already gone. BUT. My brother had to order a cheap LGA 1150 CPU just so he could update the BIOS on his motherboard before it would work with his CPU, and I'm sure he'd let me put it in as soon as I got it to double check that the board works. The RAM I would use right away (I'm currently running off of a single stick of 1333 MHz DDR 3 (4 gigs).

I have an extra PSU I can use to test it with, so I can just plug my monitor, motherboard, PSU, CPU and RAM all in and just test it without a case. But I don't actually know if that's safe to do, even for just a moment. The case I have is an m-ATX case, and and this is a ATX motherboard. I'm hoping to get a new ATX case for Christmas, so I can use the mobo after Christmas.

If I don't do this, I'll instead end up getting a new case for Christmas and a single stick just like I already have of RAM (this). I'd prefer the faster RAM with the blue heatsink, since the two cases I'm looking at have nice big side windows.

TL:DR I want to participate in a special deal for a motherboard + RAM combo, but it'd require me to wait probably 9 months before I can use the motherboard, but I do have the stuff I need to test it before I can actually use it in my system. Is this a really bad idea, or is it worth it?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:30:43 PM by Georges »

the other reason its bad to buy to early isnt about parts outdating or prices dropping, its about parts coming DOA. that is like a 1 in 20 chance for any computer part these days. and if im building all at once, i want to test it all at once while i still have 30 days to send things back easily and quickly.

the other reason its bad to buy to early isnt about parts outdating or prices dropping, its about parts coming DOA. that is like a 1 in 20 chance for any computer part these days. and if im building all at once, i want to test it all at once while i still have 30 days to send things back easily and quickly.
Yah, that's what I said. But I have the stuff I need to test as soon as I get to make sure that it's working. If it's not, I'll still have the warranty.

Oh stuff... well I may have screwed up then. Bought that PSU you recommended today but I'm not planning on buying everything until the gpu I want is in stock.

I guess I could just swap it with my current PSU if I'm really that paranoid...

mobo, harddrives, cpu, ram

those are most likely to just not work out of the box.

you would think video cards qualify, but they tend to be of higher quality expectations or something lol. im not sure, but they always work.

I haven't gotten any DOA parts, luckily, so far. And I've bought a cpu, 2 GPUS, 2 PSUs, a motherboard, a stick of RAM, a disk drive, a hard drive, and a case (how would that even be DOA though, lol). All of them just fine.

I haven't gotten any DOA parts, luckily, so far. And I've bought a cpu, 2 GPUS, 2 PSUs, a motherboard, a stick of RAM, a disk drive, a hard drive, and a case (how would that even be DOA though, lol). All of them just fine.
I would buy a DOA case. :)

mobo, harddrives, cpu, ram

those are most likely to just not work out of the box.

you would think video cards qualify, but they tend to be of higher quality expectations or something lol. im not sure, but they always work.
Alright, so am I probably fine with the PSU?

A case would be DOA by having the front I/O not working.

That does not sound as appealing. :/

Or the LEDs being burned out.

(My case has both of these problems)

Does anyone know why my laptop doesn't perform as well when unplugged from the charger? I was playing blockland today getting around 60fps with max shaders then I unplugged the charger because the battery was at 100% and got 20-30fps. I plugged it back in and it immediately went back up to 60fps. What's up with that?

Does anyone know why my laptop doesn't perform as well when unplugged from the charger? I was playing blockland today getting around 60fps with max shaders then I unplugged the charger because the battery was at 100% and got 20-30fps. I plugged it back in and it immediately went back up to 60fps. What's up with that?

Laptops have done this for years, they dial back certain things to make the battery last longer when it detects that it's no-longer plugged into the wall. Ever noticed that your screen goes dimmer (dunno if newer laptops still do this) when you unplug it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:20:19 AM by Tokthree »