[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1311394 times)

I wonder how Blockland would play on the Surface 3 with base specs...

I wonder how Blockland would play on the Surface 3 with base specs...

I have a surface pro gen 1 with the semi quad core i5 (2 physical, 2 logical) and 4gbs of RAM, it runs very well and not only that it handles counter strike and other games at over 60 fps at max settings by some miraculous mile.  I feel the Surface 3 will have some good power with that Atom X7 but at the same time gaming won't be the best if you're expecting high fps at medium to high settings.  It depends though as it does compare to an AMD A6 processor

I have a good desktop for most gaming. I'd be fine running on on lowest settings (hopefully not minimum view distance though).

Also why must the type cover be so expensive? :(

I can't find any good laptops with a metal build at or under $500. That's why I'm looking at the Surface 3. I'm not to concerned by power. I just want something with a nice build. ;-;

i just wanted to ask can this build  run csgo at 1080p max settings 60 fps, i've been wondering if i should get a different cpu because i looked into the one i have now and people said they had problems and others didn't, so i need an opinion
If you remove the unneccessary parts (aftermarket cooler, extra thermal paste) and get a less oversized PSU, you can afford a Core i5 which is much faster than the AMD FX.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Chipskate/saved/#view=2qqypg

My old drive seems to have succumbed to death by hardware failure. While testing it with a USB-Sata/IDE adapter I noticed it was making a pulsating buzz noise every second. The hard drive could not be read at all. I tested to make sure it wasn't the adapter itself by testing it with another Sata drive I found in the garage, read it perfectly.

Any idea as to what I should do with my old drive? I was thinking of attempting to open it and attempt to fix it just long enough to get my data off of it, if possible.

Shove it in a ziplock bag, remove all of the air in it and freeze it for about two hours. If the pulsating buzz was caused by the arm which is stuck, it will give you a few more minutes before its official death. Use this as a last resort because there is a 90% chance that your drive will die.

I got $140 and I want to upgrade my computer a bit, I'm not really savvy with computers so I'm hoping one of you guys can help me.
Here are my specs:

I got $140 and I want to upgrade my computer a bit, I'm not really savvy with computers so I'm hoping one of you guys can help me.
Here are my specs:

Solid State Drive

yea a ssd would probably be the best

yea a ssd would probably be the best

I was more hoping for a gaming upgrade.

I was more hoping for a gaming upgrade.
An SSD is worth it either way. My startup time was around 2 minutes with my old drive, now it's around 45 seconds. Every application and task is just generally more responsive with an SSD as a boot drive. The only other thing you could possible upgrade is your graphics card but you won't be able to get your money's worth for $140.

Here are my specs:

This isn't a laptop, right?

my boot time with a hard drive is around 20-25 seconds :/
anyway you should probably upgrade that processor. something like the amd athlon 860k should be a decent upgrade, save the $65~ and get $40 more for a decent graphics card or blow it on an ssd i guess

Yeah I'd spend like $50 - $60 on an SSD and the rest on a new CPU.