Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1329028 times)

What about these SSDs?

what do you mean "these" SSDs?  yes im talking about all types of SSDs. 

go to a real computer shop and ask about storing anything besides an operating system or programs on an SSD and listen to what they tell you
you're not supposed to
its bad for the SSD and for the things you're storing on it. 
i have one final question before departure
why would i want an expensive, low-amount storage drive that forgets itself over when you do too much stuff on it in place of a high-storage mechanical drive that doesn't forget itself over and generally costs much less for more storage

yes, speed is a factor but it doesn't seem like i'm going to draw much from this supposed speed boost vs mechanical drives

i have one final question before departure
why would i want an expensive, low-amount storage drive that forgets itself over when you do too much stuff on it in place of a high-storage mechanical drive that doesn't forget itself over and generally costs much less for more storage

yes, speed is a factor but it doesn't seem like i'm going to draw much from this supposed speed boost vs mechanical drives
its a lot faster
go read about SSD speeds

its a lot faster
go read about SSD speeds
ok
what else

like i'm not perceiving anything better over larger mechanical drives other than speed and to me, the amount of money that's going into it doesn't seem worth it
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:57:57 PM by Daswiruch »

hypothetically, games installed on an SSD should load a lot quicker, but I haven't actually experienced that for myself rofl

hypothetically, games installed on an SSD should load a lot quicker, but I haven't actually experienced that for myself rofl

It's typically anywhere from a few seconds to 30-45 seconds on average.  Of course it depends on several other factors like processor, RAM speed and etc.

You guys are forgetting about another form a data storage that is currently only available to big enterprises and and maybe some datacenters.

The TDD/TD err Tape Drive , the latest one was made by IBM and can hold up to 10TB and currently is only compatible with the Linear Tape File System (LTFS).

These things may be slower or faster I have no loving clue.

Honestly I haven't noticed a boost either, thats why I generally keep games on the HDD.

Tape is incredibly slow to read from but incredibly fast to back up to.  It's only ideal purpose is for corporate server back up's.  It doesn't belong in consumer grade hands at all.

I've noticed it a lot for World of Tanks, Elite: Dangerous, and Kerbal Space Program.

Also, I don't understand:
who the forget stores anything besides games and an OS on SSDs?
they're not meant to have data written and unwritten all the time
The write limits for SSD's are incredible. The Samsung 850 EVOs can go from 75TB-150TB write limits. That's crazy lots, and for general use, that's more than enough to outlive the standard disk drive. That's why they have crazy 10 year warranties.

I'm using pure SSD's for that reason. I like speed and performance, and with those numbers I really have nothing to worry about in terms of the drives failing due to the write limit. I'll have a new computer by then, and SSD technology should be much better, especially with the new NAND chips samsung will be coming out with.

What the forget are you guys talking about? SSDs don't "forget themselves over" when you use them and there's absolutely nothing wrong with storing documents and movies on them. The only reason hard drives are used for mass storage is because they're cheaper and the extra speed isn't needed. Sure, they do have a maximum write limit, but it's so ridiculously high that you aren't going to come near hitting it for at least 20 years. If anything, they are more reliable than hard drives since they have no moving parts that can go wrong.

I'm going to go buy a new 2TB HDD @ 7200rpm after this. Cya.

If you load your operating system and most of your typical applications onto the SSD, you'll find that pretty much anything involving the startup of programs is immensely faster. It also makes your page-file extremely fast, so programs that fall into the page file won't hang after being 'woken up'. The speed of your disk drive is actually a bottleneck on so many different levels that most people don't even realize, it improves overall system responsiveness by a hugely notable margin.

SSD write limits are not a concern in consumer applications. Even for power users the SSD isn't going to fall behind the average HDD which will on average only last for about 5 years or so anyways.

In other words, the only real drawback to SSD's is their price per gigabyte ratio which is still significantly higher than that of HDD's, but that gap is drawing inwards pretty quickly.

I bought a 240GB SSD for $80 and migrated my OS and 3 games to it, my computer takes 30 seconds to boot and get to a usable state compared to the 2 minutes it took with my WD Black 1TB drive. I don't regret my investment.

Write limits are irrelevant. It usually takes hundreds of TB of writing to kill an SSD so it lasts about as long, if not longer than a hard disk drive. SSD's reliability are far more predictable than hard disk drives because the firmware usually keeps track of how many write cycles you've used and about how many you have left. Even after you've used up all of your write cycles you can still read from the drive and make backups.

SSD's don't get slowed down by fragmentation. SSD's can survive much more abuse than a HDD. SSD's use less energy, are smaller, produce less heat, and are around 5x faster than a hard drive. SSD's are also completely silent and have seek times a fraction the size of a HDD because of spinning platters.

The only benefit of using a HDD is because of lower price/GB which is why I have both in my system.

my computer takes 30 seconds to boot and get to a usable state compared to the 2 minutes it took with my WD Black 1TB drive.

This is the kicker; people think that the boot time is how long it takes from pressing the power button to reaching the desktop, but it isn't. Boot time is how long it takes for your PC to do all that PLUS starting up all the programmes you have set to run on startup, about the point where your CPU usage stabilises at a low % (0-2% for me). For someone like me who has at least 10+ actual programs running on startup and countless other processes that have to do their thing then exit it feels like hell to go back to booting from a HDD. I can't even imagine what it'd be like for people with even more