Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1341242 times)

I kinda forgot wtf uatx even is lol

I kinda forgot wtf uatx even is lol

Just another name for microATX. the u is supposed to be the greek letter "Mu / μ" which is just the abbreviation for micro

So should I be concerned while swapping boards?

forget, no integrated graphics either so I gotta get a graphics card

forget, no integrated graphics either so I gotta get a graphics card
I'm not sure that board would fit tbh, the bottom right screw hole looks like it's too high up, and since that case probably doesn't have removable spacers it'd short out against the back of the board.

Why are you replacing the mobo. Prob easier upgrades to do with more benefit.

make sure the board fits and is compatible with all your expansion cards, ram, cpu, and other peripherals

next, uninstall all motherboard and graphics drivers and stuff and shutdown
remove the old motherboard, put in the new one, boot the pc, and the install the new drivers and reboot and you should be good

Not needed, it works perfectly fine with the exception that it can't read how much RAM the system has
That's weird, I installed it on win8.1 and it ran fine, no issues at all

My LED screen burnt in my browser buttons on the bottom.
The top is fine though.
Woo.

My LED screen burnt in my browser buttons on the bottom.
The top is fine though.
Woo.

Give it a couple of hours, it'll go away. This happens with me all the time.

That's weird, I installed it on win8.1 and it ran fine, no issues at all

Do you have 4 GB of RAM or less?

So whats the difference between a CPU socket and Chipset? I need to know if a board is compatible with my current processor.

So whats the difference between a CPU socket and Chipset? I need to know if a board is compatible with my current processor.

Find the board on the manufacturer's website and look for a "CPU Support List", usually in the support & downloads section.

A CPU socket determines what size a processor can be and what pin-arrangement it can have. A chipset, as far as I know, determines how a processor communicates with other hardware, this is probably wrong however as I have never looked into chipsets in any great detail.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:57:58 PM by Tokthree »

I cannot find barely any information on my board.
Its almost non-existent.

So whats the difference between a CPU socket and Chipset?
A CPU socket is where the actual CPU is placed to connect to the mobo. Each socket, AMD or Intel, have different ways of allowing the cpu to actually physically connect.
Theres 3 types of sockets (atleast that i know of) called Land Grid Array, Pin Grid Array, and Ball Grid Array

LGA is used by Intel for their processors, and come in different amount of connecting pins, like LGA 775 meaning the socket supports LGA 775 processors, and has 775 pins to connect the processor to the mobo. LGA is typically a set of pins on the mobo, with metallic contacts on the bottom of the processor and when there is a connection between the contacts on the chip and on the socket, then the processor should work.

PGA is the opposite of LGA and is used by AMD. In PGA, the contacts-connecting pins order is reversed. The Pins are on the bottom of the chip, and the socket has holes which contain the contacts.

BGA is one I havent seen yet but might be out there in mobile devices. In BGA, there are balls of solder on the bottom of the chip, and youre supposed to heat them up so the solder melts and when it cools, establishes a connection between the board and the processor. It requires fine precision though, so this is normally done in a factory before being shipped out to the public. The thing that differs BGA from LGA and PGA is that you cant remove a BGA processor once it is soldered to the PCB.

A Chipset is a series of 2 (Or 1 in newer PCBs) types of chips called North Bridge and South Bridge (North Bridge is connected directly the processor, and deals with connections between CPU, RAM, PCI slots, etc that require high performance. South Bridge is for lower performance tasks). In newer boards though, the Northbridge and South Bridge chipsets are combined.

I cannot find barely any information on my board.
Its almost non-existent.

What is it? One you're looking at or the one in your current system?

Very thanks for the info. This helped me a lot.

What is it? One you're looking at or the one in your current system?
Looking for the one in my PC. All I needed to know was the processor information.
I've settled on this board.