Author Topic: Does Anyone Worldbuild Here?  (Read 537 times)

Not sure if anybody else other than myself worldbuilds. If you don't know what worldbuilding is, good for you, you probably have a great social life. If you for some reason would like to know (you don't, it consumes you), there's a subreddit for it at /r/worldbuilding as well as a Wikipedia page for it right here.

Worldbuilding is basically designing a planet and then giving it a story. You can go as in-depth as you'd like (planning climates, ecology, tectonic plates, governments, etc.) or just draw a map and tell a tale. Some people start a world when they're eight years old and forget about it the next day, but some people in the subreddit have had worlds going on in their heads for a decade or two, which takes a lot more time but can get fun I guess.

I've built two worlds so far. One is based of an old Dwarf Fortress world I had and is basically my excuse for pitting heroes against monsters for a few hundred simulated years. The other is a sci-fi world with animals and governments based on all the old stuff I've made in Spore. Fun stuff.

i kind of did this when i was younger and spore came out, i gave my civilization a story

when my old computer died the world did too unfortnately

I've recently read a book that's somewhat on topic that you might find interesting: The Planiverse.

I remember coming across a website called the "Conworld Wiki" where you could create Wikipedia style pages of your worldbuilds and interact with other people's builds as well.

My brother and I used to do this when we were younger, even making languages and what not. Fun times lol.

I remember coming across a website called the "Conworld Wiki" where you could create Wikipedia style pages of your worldbuilds and interact with other people's builds as well.

My brother and I used to do this when we were younger, even making languages and what not. Fun times lol.

Yeah a lot of people will use wiki sites to catalogue their world info. Microsoft Office 2010 comes with a program called OneNote which works pretty well for dividing up mass amounts of info, as it's basically a big digital binder. I prefer using real paper though.

Sadly never wrote any down, but I've definitely created numerous worlds in my imagination.

I've even decided I'd make roleplays with my friends on Blockland and Minecraft and stuff, of just regular things, which then end up having their own mini-history which then slowly expands until it's almost like I've got more story in my head than I've got built in-game.

No wonder I never complete my builds.

I made a few in Powder Toy.

I made a few in Powder Toy.

WHICH ALL CAME TO A TERRIBLE DEMISE

MWAHAHAH