Water reflections

Author Topic: Water reflections  (Read 2013 times)

I have a suggestion for shaders. It should have reflections of near bricks in the water like IRL
I think my suggestion is a great idea
/discuss

I have a suggestion for shaders. It should have reflections of near bricks in the water like IRL
I think my suggestion is a great idea
/discuss
yes /support

If this was possible, then mirrors would be possible.
If mirrors were possible, pigs could fly.

aka i'm sorry butITS NOT POSSIBLE

reflective surfaces were achieved very inefficiently at one point; they basically drew the scene with actual "physical" datablocks at on the other side
it could be possible for badspot to achieve them as a purely visual effect, but that's really entirely up to him and how much work he'd be willing to put towards it

Well we have GLSL shaders now so if someone actually knew how to use them properly I'm pretty sure we can get reflections and such.

what crawled up your ass, jesus christ

Then I guess pigs can fly then.

At one point we DID have mirrors, however they were only used on maps (most notably GSF maps). They were removed at one point. I assume it was incompatible hardware and/or it took up too much system resources to render it.

In an older version of blockland someone did this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkUqk0GO2pg
Or is that just video editing? >.>

In an older version of blockland someone did this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkUqk0GO2pg
Or is that just video editing? >.>
That was just video editing

Mirrors are possible but are frowned upon because they take up a lot of space. (Having 60 bricks in front of the mirror would act like 120 on the server)

All I see Water Reflections doing is making a demanding shadow system more demanding. It would be nice if it wasn't so demanding.

Adding mirrors --> Making mirror rooms --> Placing 1 brick --> Server explodes

What if it just reflects the sky texture? You could do that with water before the shadows and shaders update

You should be able to choose which sky texture you want the water to reflect

>popular opinion was that shadows are not possible
>badspot added shadows
>"LOL OKAY THATS POSSIBLE THEN BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS STILL NOT POSSIBLE OKAY???"

What if it just reflects the sky texture? You could do that with water before the shadows and shaders update

You should be able to choose which sky texture you want the water to reflect
That could work really well, also some waves for the water could be good too