Author Topic: Blockland Videos  (Read 3350 times)

I figured I could release my videos here...so...

I present this.

Daniel Vincere and Killer Dragger's Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/GameCastX1

I only have 2 videos on Blockland, that's Killer Dragger's Epic Skiing and Blockland: Rise of the Silent Assassin.

The rest are either Minecraft, Lego Racers, or Portal.

bbbump

Can someone put feedback?  :panda:

(on videos or here)

"BLOCKLAND: Killer Dragger's Epic Skiing"
It wasn't great, and it certainly wasn't that epic either; you just got one on your friends to ski down a hill while you filmed.
It wasn't bad though.
5/10

"Blockland - The Rise of the Silent Assassin"
I can tell you put hardly any effort into this; the build is a few 1x5s laying around, the cameraman is jerking around the place, instead of voice acting you just put text on the screen, the GUI's showing and the bots are just default and non-moving.
Also, I don't really get the story; An assassin walks through non-collidable white bricks, muders some Bots (which we have no idea who they are) and nearly fights this evil guy(?) but you cut it off for a cliffhanger with no suspense at all.
3/10

"BLOCKLAND Short: Chips, please!"
I can see why you didn't mention this in the OP.
Even less effort was put into this. Instead of text like the last video, you had the actors type into the chat. Even more of the GUI is showing too, and at one point this admin orb just comes into the shot out of no where, but you didn't even edit it out. Also, if you think comedy is a man exploding because he can't get any chips, your sense of humour depresses me.
1/10
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:37:11 AM by Blooker »

The Skiing one wasn't too great.
4/10

The Rise of the Silent Assassin was as Blooker said, "the build is a few 1x5s laying around, the cameraman is jerking around the place, instead of voice acting you just put text on the screen, the GUI's showing and the bots are just default and non-moving." wasn't too good either.
3/10

Chips, Please wasn't good because using typing to express words can't always be a bad thing, it's just when you make mistakes while typing and have to backspace is really boring and unprofessional.
1/10

Your videos could use a lot of work, but they still have potential.

"BLOCKLAND: Killer Dragger's Epic Skiing"
It wasn't great, and it certainly wasn't that epic either; you just got one on your friends to ski down a hill while you filmed.
It wasn't bad though.
5/10

"Blockland - The Rise of the Silent Assassin"
I can tell you put hardly any effort into this; the build is a few 1x5s laying around, the cameraman is jerking around the place, instead of voice acting you just put text on the screen, the GUI's showing and the bots are just default and non-moving.
Also, I don't really get the story; An assassin walks through non-collidable white bricks, muders some Bots (which we have no idea who they are) and nearly fights this evil guy(?) but you cut it off for a cliffhanger with no suspense at all.
3/10

"BLOCKLAND Short: Chips, please!"
I can see why you didn't mention this in the OP.
Even less effort was put into this. Instead of text like the last video, you had the actors type into the chat. Even more of the GUI is showing too, and at one point this admin orb just comes into the shot out of no where, but you didn't even edit it out. Also, if you think comedy is a man exploding because he can't get any chips, your sense of humour depresses me.
1/10

Epic Skiing: I thought he's pretty good at skiing.

Rise of the Silent Assassin:
The story: HURR DURR READ THE DESCRIPTION. Also, he walked through the bricks by entering the password.
The bots:I didn't have much time to build the thing; I had to study in a bit.
The camera: was jerking around, what could I do, stay in one place?
The no voice-acting: My voice sounds squeaky on the microphone.

Chips, please!:
Text: I didn't have Sony Vegas back then.
Orb: I actually was yelling at the guy to get out of there. Idk how to edit it out.
Humor: Yeah, my friend said that too.

Same thing with you, Freek.

Yes.

Rise of the Silent Assassin:
The story: HURR DURR READ THE DESCRIPTION. Also, he walked through the bricks by entering the password.

It's nice that you want to make a Blockland video, and it's really good that you do make them, but you should take some time out to prepare first of all.

Build a decent set that you know is of good quality. If you're not a fantastic builder, why not ask someone for help, or hire someone to build for you.

I really, really, do not recommend using White bricks, with White decals, with a White map. You just can not see a thing during multiple moments.

About the camera, you shouldn't have done it in a single take.
If you can't keep the camera still (which is understandable in Blockland), then re-design your approach.
Cut it into smaller scenes, where you can place the camera in a still position with a good view, and record from there.
When your character moves on, stop filming, move the camera to another place you can see from, and film again.
Cut these into sequence for the final film, and you're done.

Also, avoid the zoom function.
Or at the very least, zoom in less. If you didn't know, when you zoom in you can use the mouse-wheel to change how far you are zoomed in (Might need to hold Control, not sure).
The zooming meant you zoomed in too far, and every single unsteady twitchy movement, which you've already identified, was ten times more obvious and irritating.

I'd suggest you avoid the default bots. When you killed them they just immediately respawned into white horses. Which was weird.
Get another person to play as the people. If you do it in scenes, as suggested above, then you only need one friend to do this. You won't need lots of people to do it for one big sequence.
If you do this, you can also give them better clothes than the default Blockhead clothes.

The actual build wasn't too dreadful for the purposes of the film, but it could have been better.
Since you were building it in such a way that you could run the camera long parallel, what you should have done was built the different areas as rooms, with the 4th wall removed.
So, when your character enters a room, behind them is the entrance, to the left of them is a wall, in front of them is the exit, and to their right is an empty wall, where you, the Cameraman are moving alongside them.
This gives the impression of viewing the inside of the room, as if via X-Ray vision.
Also gives you more detail beyond just having walls.

For this film, the voice acting isn't a problem.
The text worked well.
Perhaps try getting your actor to type something into the chat. That way, their blockhead moves around as if talking.
And on that note, make sure your GUI's are turned off. You can do this in the options. You don't want to see the build-toolbar, or the items tool-bar.

Your stuff could do with improvment, but don't let that deter you. It's best that you continue to make films and improve and enjoy it.

It's nice that you want to make a Blockland video, and it's really good that you do make them, but you should take some time out to prepare first of all.

Build a decent set that you know is of good quality. If you're not a fantastic builder, why not ask someone for help, or hire someone to build for you.

I really, really, do not recommend using White bricks, with White decals, with a White map. You just can not see a thing during multiple moments.

About the camera, you shouldn't have done it in a single take.
If you can't keep the camera still (which is understandable in Blockland), then re-design your approach.
Cut it into smaller scenes, where you can place the camera in a still position with a good view, and record from there.
When your character moves on, stop filming, move the camera to another place you can see from, and film again.
Cut these into sequence for the final film, and you're done.

Also, avoid the zoom function.
Or at the very least, zoom in less. If you didn't know, when you zoom in you can use the mouse-wheel to change how far you are zoomed in (Might need to hold Control, not sure).
The zooming meant you zoomed in too far, and every single unsteady twitchy movement, which you've already identified, was ten times more obvious and irritating.

I'd suggest you avoid the default bots. When you killed them they just immediately respawned into white horses. Which was weird.
Get another person to play as the people. If you do it in scenes, as suggested above, then you only need one friend to do this. You won't need lots of people to do it for one big sequence.
If you do this, you can also give them better clothes than the default Blockhead clothes.

The actual build wasn't too dreadful for the purposes of the film, but it could have been better.
Since you were building it in such a way that you could run the camera long parallel, what you should have done was built the different areas as rooms, with the 4th wall removed.
So, when your character enters a room, behind them is the entrance, to the left of them is a wall, in front of them is the exit, and to their right is an empty wall, where you, the Cameraman are moving alongside them.
This gives the impression of viewing the inside of the room, as if via X-Ray vision.
Also gives you more detail beyond just having walls.

For this film, the voice acting isn't a problem.
The text worked well.
Perhaps try getting your actor to type something into the chat. That way, their blockhead moves around as if talking.
And on that note, make sure your GUI's are turned off. You can do this in the options. You don't want to see the build-toolbar, or the items tool-bar.

Your stuff could do with improvment, but don't let that deter you. It's best that you continue to make films and improve and enjoy it.

Thanks for the help.

1. As I said, I didn't have much time to build.

2. I tried to make him blend in for the white stuff.

3. Ok

4. Ok

5. I'm not very good with communication, it's just me and my brother.

6. Ok

7. So your suggesting I do both? Can't seem to get rid of the GUI when I'm holding a tool.

8. Ok

not having much time to biuld isn't really an excuse

it just means taking longer to work on the film so the quality is better

i understand you want to get something out asap because its fun and you'd like to show off things but if you're going for real quality take your time

dont let this discourage you; keep practicing and building. everyone had to start somewhere

The story: HURR DURR READ THE DESCRIPTION.
If you buy a DVD, you watch the movie to find out the story, not read the blurb.

Also, he walked through the bricks by entering the password.
Ok, so a 1x5s and a print brick?

As Conan said, this really isn't an excuse. There are multiple days in the week, it's probably not like you have to study every second of the day.

Yes, you could have done that. If you'd have actually edited the video, you can stay still to make some effective shots. Plus, while you were moving, you could have held Shift or C to move slowly.

Get other voice actors? You have a forums account don't you? Go post in General Discussion that you need help with a project you're doing.

Chips, please!:
Text: I didn't have Sony Vegas back then.
But you had Windows Movie Maker?
Also, did you use Vegas for Rise of the Silent Assassin?

Orb: I actually was yelling at the guy to get out of there. Idk how to edit it out.
So you don't have the initiative to find a tutorial on YouTube to teach you something as simple as editing video footage?

I didn't have much time to build the thing; I had to study in a bit.
You don't... You just don't do a video while you see: Oh well, I need to go in 15 mins. Welp, better rush this here.

I actually was yelling at the guy to get out of there. Idk how to edit it out.
Ehh... Were you filming at a public server?

You should NEVER Do that. NEVER EVER. And even if you would be in a public server, you dont want any other things disturbing the movie. And why not take a new shot? Oh well...

You really should not move the camera and have short clips instead of long loads of moving teleport admin camera.