Author Topic: Auto-Terrain-Brick  (Read 2831 times)

Someone should make a 16x16 terrain brick that has multiple hidden datablocks. When planted,  the brick would search for surrounding terrain bricks and adjusts its shape to the adjacent brick.  This way all you would have to do is get this "Auto-Terrain-Brick", turn Super-Shift on, and go to town while the bricks automatically change shape.

Someone should make a 16x16 terrain brick that has multiple hidden datablocks. When planted,  the brick would search for surrounding terrain bricks and adjusts its shape to the adjacent brick.  This way all you would have to do is get this "Auto-Terrain-Brick", turn Super-Shift on, and go to town while the bricks automatically change shape.
That'd be cool. But I think the problem with that is there could be multiple different kinds of terrain depending on adjacent blocks. So the only way to make this work would be to make it somewhat random, but hey then we'd have a new kind of random terrain generator

It would only adapt to other "Auto-Terrain" bricks.

It's certainly an interesting concept, though I'm not sure how 'hidden datablocks' would work

there used to be an autoroad that did this
here's the code if anybody wants to adapt it for this

there used to be an autoroad that did this
here's the code if anybody wants to adapt it for this
woah i've been looking for that for ages.

had it on a disc from when i was swapping over my computers, i have all sorts of things on there which is useful at times

I think it'd make terrain-building far too easy, all you'd have to do is plot the altitudes by putting 1x1x5 bricks down in a point-grid arrangement and then the brick would do everything.
I appreciate the concept of making something so fundamental easily accessible to all who want to use it, but removing any real skill from the mix is never a good idea since eventually everything would just turn to mediocrity as everyone is capable of pumping out completely perfect terrain saves

I think it'd make terrain-building far too easy
forget YOU then they can put effort in everything else and terrain becomes a complimentary element instead of a huge project in and of itself

I choose atmosphere and accessibility over doing things the hard way for bragging rights
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:06:11 PM by Eksi »

forget YOU then they can put effort in everything else and terrain becomes a complimentary element instead of a huge project in and of itself

I choose atmosphere and accessibility over doing things the hard way for bragging rights
Thank you.

You'll only have yourself to blame when nothing impresses you anymore because it's all of "manufactured" quality, it's a slippery slope and I hope you have fun with such mediocrity

Uh. I think i understand what you're saying and i'll try it.

It's certainly an interesting concept, though I'm not sure how 'hidden datablocks' would work
I think he means like not listed (no UIName)

I think it'd make terrain-building far too easy, all you'd have to do is plot the altitudes by putting 1x1x5 bricks down in a point-grid arrangement and then the brick would do everything.
I appreciate the concept of making something so fundamental easily accessible to all who want to use it, but removing any real skill from the mix is never a good idea since eventually everything would just turn to mediocrity as everyone is capable of pumping out completely perfect terrain saves
Again with this?

First people who could make maps where special and after maps got removed map makers became normal people, now people who can build terrain are "special" and if someone makes something that equalizes this its considered bad?

Building terrain takes forever and this could fix that and make it easier, faster and perfect.