Author Topic: [Silverlight/C#] Connect Blockland to a website  (Read 836 times)

I'm trying to convert the terrain generator I made to a Silverlight-XNA application on a website to avoid installers. Do I need to do anything differently from a C# console program to connect it to a client's Blockland?

This will involve a site hosted on Dropbox (incapable of storing data) and a client add-on.

EDIT: It appears Silverlight doesn't even have the tcpClient/tcpListener class. Does anyone know what I should use instead?

Target program flow:
SL>Prompt user for parameters
SL>Generate terrain
SL>Preview terrain
SL>Connect to Blockland; await connection
BL>Accept connection from SL
LOOP n:
SL>Transmit chunk n to BL as raw data; wait
BL>Find data from SL and use servercmds to plant brick
BL>Send confirmation and brick status to SL
END LOOP n

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:29:12 AM by ThinkInvisible »

You really shouldn't ask here, this is a torquescript board after all.

You can try asking at stackoverflow.com, which is made for all kinds of general programming questions in all different languages.

You really shouldn't ask here, this is a torquescript board after all.

You can try asking at stackoverflow.com, which is made for all kinds of general programming questions in all different languages.
forget you.
This is coding help.
we help people with coding.

I'm pretty sure you can't host sites with Dropbox ( i may be wrong ).
For connecting C# to Blockland you need to set up a socket server and have Blockland connect with it. There shouldn't be anything special, just make sure to include/import whatever C#/XNA uses for Sockets/TCP servers. Also the C# should be the server, socket servers in Blockland are blegh

I'm pretty sure you can't host sites with Dropbox ( i may be wrong ).
Well, I can make something that works on the client's side. (Host an HTTP file.) Which is all I need because this won't store any data to the site.

Well, I can make something that works on the client's side. (Host an HTTP file.) Which is all I need because this won't store any data to the site.
well, what do you want to do with it? because there may be a better way of doing it.

SL>Prompt user for parameters
SL>Generate terrain
SL>Preview terrain
SL>Connect to Blockland; await connection
BL>Accept connection from SL
LOOP n:
SL>Transmit chunk n to BL as raw data; wait
BL>Find data from SL and use servercmds to plant brick
BL>Send confirmation and brick status to SL
END LOOP n

Chunks will just be a list of coordinates, datablocks, colors, etc. in string format.

SL>Generate terrain
You are hooking your terrain generator to your website?