Author Topic: De-Ghosting: Server/Client-Sided Mod  (Read 568 times)

Read title.

Idea first put forward by me in this topic. Here's why its a good idea:

1) Would be a simple way to overcome the brick limit. Bricks outside your view would simply get deghosted and the ones that you are in range of seeing would be ghosted instead. If I recall correctly the brick limit is due to the engine limitations on supporting visible blocks, and that its possible to go over but just not ghost everything.
2) Would basically make huge builds possible to explore for people who don't have good computers, as their computer now can just not ghost what they don't see

The basic idea is to ghost bricks only within your draw distance, determined server sided or client sided (under advanced tabs). As a customizable feature (if its possible), a value box would determine how close bricks must be before they ghost, and how far they must be before being deghosted.

Comments. If its just not possible due to engine oh well.

This would help my computer alot.

/support

>plants bricks behind other players
>turn around
>lagging while ghosting

this might require engine edits...

Say this worked...  I would not support this at all.

If you try to save a build with bricks outside of viewing range that you haven't seen yet (unghosted), then they don't save. 

They're gone.  Forever.

If you have this update, where all bricks get UNGHOSTED (won't save) just because I no longer can see them... then... I'll loose almost everything.  I build using bricks that are out of sight to reduce the lag of the players.

A much better solution would be to simply not render faces that are not seen.

Sounds good to me, but would still require an engine edit

I like the idea but I see what people mean now. To start off I am almost sure if bricks are really far away from you they don't ghost yet, as you get closer then they start ghosting. Only thing is that things don't de ghost. I see the problem where if you are building a long map and move far away the bricks would get de-ghosted and you wouldn't be able to save them.

this