Author Topic: Problem w/ Sunlight and loading map  (Read 4256 times)

Nice screens.

Question: Assuming your having real water in the map: How will you stop the depth mask and water physics from occuring inside rapture?

or....are you using transparent brushes as water?

Have you tried the map on any other computers, to see if its just a problem with your computer?
The map works in Vanilla Blockland though, so I think its something with the engine. But, I redesigned the map and its working fine now.

Nice screens.

Question: Assuming your having real water in the map: How will you stop the depth mask and water physics from occuring inside rapture?

or....are you using transparent brushes as water?
Thanks, it looks even better now with the changes I made, hopefully I won't run into anymore problems.
Yes I am using real water, but I haven't figured out how to get rid of the depth mask. If anyone knows how then please tell me. As for the water physics, I just changed the scale of the water to have a height of 0.01 so the physics won,t be a problem.

Hmm.

Well you could code something to work with a physical zone that tells engine to disable depth mask....wait, nvm.

That won't work.

As soon as you remove the depth mask, all the 'water' you see around Rapture will dissapear. It will look like normal air.

I think your gonna need to use interior brushes for water. Good luck figuring out how to get past the whole nulling thing....unless....

You could use static DTS shapes for a water effect. They can be transparent and it wouldn't block out any interiors.

I reccoment the static DTS shapes as a way to avoid engine trouble.

I think making a .dts would be the best idea. I wish I knew how to animate it so it looks like real water (except without waves), but I don't know how to use blender that well.

I think making a .dts would be the best idea. I wish I knew how to animate it so it looks like real water (except without waves), but I don't know how to use blender that well.

Could use animated textures?

Actually I think I found a better way. I just deleted the water and changed the sun, and it looks even better. Bioshock used the same technique; if I add some particle effects it might complete the illusion of being underwater. I also found a way to add the ripples of light.
This is what it looks like now with the changes I made:

Actually I think I found a better way. I just deleted the water and changed the sun, and it looks even better. Bioshock used the same technique; if I add some particle effects it might complete the illusion of being underwater. I also found a way to add the ripples of light.

There was a map for RTB that had rising bubbles...maybe check that out.

oh astro's water map? that one was a fracken win

How would I get particles to appear without having to put them on bricks with the wrench? I can't use the mission editor so I would have to code it in the mission file. (I tried copying and pasting the codes for the particle emitter in Astros map, just to test it to see if it would work, but it didn't.

yea you need the mission editor to set them up, and youll need custom ones implanted into the .mis file

if needed i could help you with this

Alright thanks, particles aren't really my forte lol.
Mind if I send you the map now? All I need is one working particle emitter that looks like slow-rising bubbles. I'll work on coping and placing it later.

Alright thanks, particles aren't really my forte lol.
Mind if I send you the map now? All I need is one working particle emitter that looks like slow-rising bubbles. I'll work on coping and placing it later.

One caveat about the bubble emitter is that it will go thru structures and such so it will have to go around buildings.

Also...do it just like astro's map where bubbles come in random, small, occasional groups and not a solid stream like most Retail emitters.

As for the blue sun hax you are using....doesnt this mean all interiors and objects will have a blue tint to them? That means no cosy underwater paradise :(

....unless interior lights override sun lighting...?

I need to try to get particles working first.
As for the sun, not necessarily. It should have a light tint to make it seem likes its underwater, but I'll worry about that later.

Gikon got banned for flame wars with roblox, and he wants you to msn him the map. msn: gikonlive@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:32:11 PM by fishpen0 »