Author Topic: Input > Another Name for Stuff VCE  (Read 978 times)

Ok. So basically here is my scenario. I want to be able to set names via player input. Example, there are print bricks lined up from A-Z and the user is allowed to click 10 of these letters. Each letter will add to the main variable, let's call it FAKENAME for now. so if the user clicks A, the letter A is added to the FAKENAME var. Then the user can click N and have it add N to the FAKENAME var. The user can input up to 10 letters of choice. The next 2 that are chosen are D and Y. The FAKENAME variable now has ANDY set as the FAKENAME.

I tried adding A and then adding B but the problem I have is that you cannot add letters to a VCEMODVar. You can SET it to a single letter or word, but you cannot ADD it, as it will go back to 0. Somehow I need to be able to add letters to a pre-existing variable, this way, I can click A, and then click B and it will add B next to the A, or whichever order they are clicked in. In this manner I can click G-O-T-H-B-O-Y and when I use var:cl:FAKENAME it will show up as Gothboy, instead of just G. I know I could make 10 different FAKENAME vars but that would be a stuffload of eventing for a simple purpose.

Is there a simpler way to do what I am going for, or do I need some sort of FAKENAME event?

Help is much appreciated, I'm stumped!

Do like this:

onActivate Self VCe_modVariable Blah <var:br:Blah>C

To add a C to the var Blah

Btw, you cannot set player names

Do like this:

onActivate Self VCe_modVariable Blah <var:br:Blah>C

Btw, you cannot set player names

Thats my problem. It wont add C to Blah, but it will SET C to Blah. Also I don't need this for a player name, more like a FAKE VARIABLE NAME, that was created by pressing the corresponding letter. Lemme show you what i am trying to do:

Each time a letter is clicked it will add the letter to the blue flatbricks. So far I have it working ok, but right now its almost 25 lines of events. If I could simply ADD multiple letters to a single variable in order it would save me much time and effort. my loving brain hurts right now. When I click the light blue ? it states the variables on each of the blue plate bricks. Bottom print only has enough room for 2 <var:nb_PrintLetters1:NameStringBrick> so I can only have 2 letters show up correspondingly at once, such as A and B and you can see in the picture. I thought about using chat messages (would need 6 events just for that, 8 if I chose to do 8 like I want)

Really need help D:

Thats my problem. It wont add C to Blah, but it will SET C to Blah. Also I don't need this for a player name, more like a FAKE VARIABLE NAME, that was created by pressing the corresponding letter. Lemme show you what i am trying to do:

Each time a letter is clicked it will add the letter to the blue flatbricks. So far I have it working ok, but right now its almost 25 lines of events for each letter brick! If I could simply ADD letters to a single variable in order it would save me much time and effort. my loving brain hurts right now. When I click the light blue ? it states the variables on each of the blue plate bricks. Bottom print only has enough room for 2 <var:nb_PrintLetters1:NameStringBrick> so I can only have 2 letters show up correspondingly at once, such as A and B and you can see in the picture. I thought about using chat messages (would need 6 events just for that, 8 if I chose to do 8 like I want)

Really need help D:

dammit, I didn't mean to quote that ^ Help section needs edit button D:

Ok, so I used chat message and it works...however the name is displayed vertically because I can't use more than 2 named brick variable displays on one brick. So I just did one message for each letter.

Ouch, brain melting. How to make ABAB (all separate brick vars) turn into a single variable with the same name? VCE can SET variables as a single letter or word, but it cannot ADD B to the already existing A with the same variable FAKENAME, instead it will just turn A into B. This is confusing, I know D:

Ok, so the system works pretty well. I am using 7 letters, and they all show up in chat and on the blue plates correspondingly in clicked order. What I need now is to take each separate variable from the blue plates and somehow convert them to a single-same-variable on the client or onto another brick. So all those separate letter variables will become one variable so that <var:cl:FakeName> would = CABBACA

Fun Fact: Each clickable brick from A-Z is 26 lines apiece!

I hope this is making more sense now :P

Do like this:

onActivate Client VCE_modVariable [Blah] [Set] [<var:cl:Blah>C]

Added brackets to clarify

Added brackets to clarify
...to ADD C to the var Blah

Problem: I CANT ADD THE C VARIABLE, it can only set it. Adding any letter to a variable only sets it back to 0 instead of adding the number. I know VCE like a forgetin boss and this one gots me el' stumperood.

I got everything pretty much down pat, except for the converting of multiple variables from different bricks into one same-lettered-variable on one brick, and have it display as a whole string.  * Main problem *

Problem: I CANT ADD THE C VARIABLE, it can only set it. Adding any letter to a variable only sets it back to 0 instead of adding the number. I know VCE like a forgetin boss and this one gots me el' stumperood.

I got everything pretty much down pat, except for the converting of multiple variables from different bricks into one same-lettered-variable on one brick, and have it display as a whole string.  * Main problem *

Put the event on a brick and click it a few times before trying to argue.
Notice the variable replace before the C?
It takes the current value of Blah, then adds a C to the end.

Put the event on a brick and click it a few times before trying to argue.
Notice the variable replace before the C?
It takes the current value of Blah, then adds a C to the end.

Ahhhhhhhh. Thats a crazy way to do it. Why can't it just use ADD instead? All well, your advice helped! Thanks!
I figured out what I was doing wrong when I tried your event I was doing add instead of set because its only logical.
Seriously though, thanks. Ill post here if anything else forgets up lol

Ahhhhhhhh. Thats a crazy way to do it. Why can't it just use ADD instead? All well, your advice helped! Thanks!
I figured out what I was doing wrong when I tried your event I was doing add instead of set because its only logical.
How is it crazy?
Add is meant for numbers.
5+hi = ???

So you didn't try the event instead you messed it up and complained it didn't work

How is it crazy?
Add is meant for numbers.
5+hi = ???

So you didn't try the event instead you messed it up and complained it didn't work

5+hi would be 5hi
And I said it was my fault and I thanked you for helping me. What more do you want me to do, write you a love song? I hope a simple thank you is good enough for now.

Again, thanks.

add is meant for numerical addition, not string addition
plus another way to do this is to just use a number in base 26

I got it all figured out now. The events work good and I can now name bricks and bots with variables. Thanks Zeblote!

Solved & Locked